Shutterfly

www.shutterfly.com
Employer Engaged

Shutterfly Reviews

Updated March 1, 2015
These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
Updated March 1, 2015
3.5

Shutterfly President, CEO, and Director Jeff Housenbold
Jeff Housenbold

Pros
  • Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Mediocre benefits package - average salaries, weak bonus scheme, and no 401K match (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Could be a great place to work, but isn't

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

Great products and plenty of smart people there.

Cons

No clear path for promotion or advancement. Can be political, and this affects people's promotions. Some managers are good, others are terrible. They don't really do anything about the bad ones, and don't really reward the good ones. Lack of vision or strategy causes frequent fire drills.

Listen to employee feedback, provide career development opportunities.

4.25 overall - can-do culture, good products, appreciative mgmt, skillful colleagues, so-so compensation

Current Employee - Can't Say (I'm the Only One) in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Can't Say (I'm the Only One) in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

can-do culture: not a lot of whining about the difficulty of challenges or changes in plans. Almost everybody just wants to get the work done.
    doesn't feel hierarchical: though org chart has ~5 levels, more-than-average autonomy is granted lower levels. implementation decisions and actions tend to happen quickly. sometimes strategic decisions take a while, however (not unusually long).
    Genuine enthusiasm for products: employees truly care about the appeal, utility, and quality of the products.
    Genuine appreciation for customers and community: getting customer feedback, good or bad, is important to almost everyone. Charitable activities are extremely well supported by execs and employees.
    Quality of colleagues: Pretty good overall. A few superstars, lots of strong not-quite-all-starts, very few losers. Nice people.
    Freedom to take initiative and take on new responsibilities: See a problem or opportunity that should be addressed, then make it yours! Very little territorial behavior.

Cons

Most everything above average, no true downsides, just a few areas of mediocrity. Total compensation package isn't bad -- hey, this is an internet company in the Silicon Valley, after all -- but it's only average competitively. (If wages and options are so-so, at least the frills are better than average -- food, events, etc.) Some wastefulness due to legacy systems and processes in some departments. Some typical bottleneck/SPOF problems in engineering due to over-dependence on veteran programmers. Recent cost-cutting due to economic slowdown is perfectly reasonable, but sometimes not ideally even-handed. These imperfections, as a group, are far less serious than any prior employer in my 10 years of e-commerce experience.

need global success criteria to balance and measure investments across all departments... some groups are overburdened and become bottlenecks; while other groups are underproductive due to outdates processes or aforementioned bottlenecks.

Good place to learn for a year or two

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

Interesting products, good product team

Cons

Not as innovative as you'd expect

Empower your teams to make decisions. Decision-making authority was always top-down, despite PR that said people could bring up their own ideas.

Ineptitude at the top, good players at the bottom.

Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Working for a well known Internet commodity has a lot of value. The company itself does, in fact, create a very nice product and one to be proud of. Most of the teams have a core of good people.

Cons

The senior management at Shutterfly is completely incompetent. In particular the management on the technology side is woefully inadequate at guiding the team from either a managerial or technical point of view. Furthermore, the pay is ridiculously low in comparison to other similar companies.

Please listen to your employees and lay off of the people that know what they're doing.
    Also, this isn't 1996, it's time to pay people market value.

I love working at Shutterfly

Current Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Great people, great products, talented management team. Strong sense of committment to values and behaviors. Products are best in the industry and they bring smiles to our customers. Team is focused on the customer and doing what's right by them. I like the fact we are growing quickly which provides opportunity for continous learning and growth. I also like the fact we are very well know and my Mom is proud of where I work. Lastly, the executive team especially the CEO is very approachable and cares about people and not just money.

Cons

Pace is fast given the growth

Hire more people to meet the needs of our growth.

Fun and refreshing company

Former Employee - Production Artist in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Production Artist in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

This company offers a relaxed atmosphere with good pay and good benefits. Management takes good care of employees by providing free snacks (chips, breakfast bars, oatmeal) and beverages (coffee, soda, tea, juice) in the break room as well as providing a free buffet for occassional extended shifts during the high volume, holiday season. They have a relaxing room that includes a massaging recliner and a tv. A game room offering a chance to unwind and play, wii, xbox and playstation games on a flat screen tv during breaks or lunches.

Cons

Poor ergonomic setup of work area. And on occasion, the heating/cooling system was inconsistent.

To provide better ergonomics. Otherwise, "ROCK ON!"

Okay place I suppose

Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

There was a coupious ammount of free product available to empoyees to test their own "dog food". However be aware that this has been cut back a bit in the past although a free 12x12 photobook is worth it. The hours are reasonable - although the CEO is known to walk around a bit at strange times and take notes of who is there late - not considering who go there early

Cons

After closing the Hayward facility, its hard, from a corporate perspective to get to see production without a bit of travel. Communication from senior management to the workers is not always clear (it is very market speak and thus for non-Marketing people can be very confusing). Strategy seems to change based upon the whim or 1 or 2 VPs and not for much other reason.

Be more open and honest about what is going on. Dont rely on the extended-eStaff to communicate outwards - they dont

Shutterfly is a great place to make a difference in a fun industry for a company that's not too big and not too small.

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Fun product and service, good culture with smart people, not to big and not too small, solid buisiness that makes money in good times and bad, good place to learn from experienced and sucessful people especially the management team. All in all I'm pretty happy and its much better than the other four valley companies I've worked for.

Cons

Twice a month during product releases the hours increase. We don't have the resources that Google or Oracle had so the "free" perks aren't as great.

The leadership team is very smart and cares about the company but sometimes the communication stalls as it trickles down. Continue to reach out to the employees through the brown bag lunches, all hands meetings, and departmental get togethers.

OK place to work, not a great life/work balance, not much room for advancement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Tiny Prints strives to have a family atmosphere where everyone knows everyone. They offer free snacks and drinks and good health care benefits. Founders/CEO are mixed in with the rest of us, so are very accessible. Very casual atmosphere. Good opportunities for learning if you work with the right people.

Cons

Benefits do not compare to anyone else in Silicon Valley. Time off is really weak and management is not happy when you ask for time off. Life/work balance is pretty poor since this is a startup. Not a lot of room for growth--I was told as much.

If you want to match up to area employers, you need to be more flexible with scheduling and give employees clearer opportunities to set (and ACHIEVE) career goals.

Good place to work if you don't care about comp

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

Fun place to work with great people. Decent work life balance, though no part time allowed and lots of contractors.

Cons

Many employees get bogged down with execution and don't get to spend any time on longer term, more strategic projects.

Give better raises and bonuses. Enticing people to join the company with market offers, but then virtually keeping them at that comp level until they threaten to leave is unproductive.