Shutterfly

www.shutterfly.com
  www.shutterfly.com

Shutterfly Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.8

Shutterfly President, CEO, and Director Jeff Housenbold
Jeff Housenbold

Pros
  • Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Mediocre benefits package - average salaries, weak bonus scheme, and no 401K match (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

I enjoy going to work each day.

Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

I really liked most of the people. The products are great and the little perks like promo codes, free drinks and discounted snacks are nice. Company wide meetings are held every quarter and over attempts at communication is good.

Cons

Can get to be political. If you are on the wrong side, or don't have the right "friends", it can be hard to advance. Some depts have a lot of turnover and there are limited consequences for repeated mistakes which creates a lack of ownership and responsibility for you work.

it is not all about the new employees, don't forget your more senior ones who have helped you reached the status you are at today

Despite growing pains, great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Shutterfly

Pros

- collegiate atmosphere. everyone works together and plays together. great friendships.
    - surrounding by a lot of smart, passionate people
    - people are passionate about the brand
    - the founders and senior level execs are friendly and approachable, they really care about their employees
    - work/life balance and flexibility

Cons

- company in awkward growing stage, trying to figure out who they are
    - a lot of young employees who wants aggressive promotions faster than they are available
    - clash between new and older and employees at times
    - benefits are o-k for the valley

value employees, keep communication open

Great place to work and highly recommend it!

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Great people, very transparent management team, and great products you can stand behind.

Cons

i wish the offices were in SF!

N/A

I really like working for this company

Current Employee - Lead in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Lead in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Employer:
    cares about quality
    cares about employees
    lots of perks
    secure-coming is growing!
    Unlike places who talk the talk, Shutterfly does care about these things from top management down. They commit to their employees with lots of training.

Cons

Its seasonal, so there are lots of temporary workers hired by another company. There is lots of time spent training, often on folks who never come back again.

Communication at the lower level is sketchy. Shift Managers communicate different amounts, so lots of information is gained through the old rumour mill.

Shutterfly rocks!

Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

We have an incredibly talented group of senior management and employees, and we treat each other with respect. We have a culture that rewards performance and good business thinking and strategy, and not politics.

As a company that focuses on helping other create and preserve memories, many of which are related to families, we have great respect for our employees' needs to balance work and family life. It is also just plain fun to work on a product and service that you know makes others' lives happier and better.

Cons

As a medium-sized public company, we have somewhat limited resources to execute all of the great ideas that our team has. So we have to be patient and prioritize, which can be frustrating at times.

Continue to build our culture, hire great people, and keep us focused on building a great company for years to come.

Good Employer.

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Great benefits and perks. Enjoyable work on products and services that will be used by many to store and share memories.

Cons

I haven't encountered any serious problems so far. This has been a great place to learn new skills and work of fun projects.

Keep up the innovation. I wouldn't mind seeing some more options for mounting pictures. It would be nice to order a picture and have the option to put it in a frame, on a foam standout, or in an acrylic floating mount.

Shutterfly -- A terrific place to work!

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Shutterfly is a great place to work for many reasons, here are just a few:
    - We have a top notch management team that drives company focus on our priorities. This makes it easy to come in every day and say "Is what I'm working on driving the business forward."
    - Unbelievably skilled direct managers and peers. The the ability to plan strategically and execute flawlessly is a characteristic embodied in everyone here.
    - Real focus on development of employees. The quarterly review process makes it easy to set goals and work towards achieving them and rewards are doled out accordingly.
    - Compensation is very competitive and the work/life balance is awesome--especially important if you have a rough commute like I do.

Cons

I do not have any cons as of yet.

No advice to management yet.

This is a five star company! I hope it continues to prosper as it continues to make lasting memories for people.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

The company just makes you feel special as an employee, the pay is good and the benefits are excellent!

Cons

I like my job so much that I hate to miss work even when I am sick. Don't know if that is a blessing or a curse.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Shutterfly ROCKS!

Current Employee - Final Assembly Lead in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Final Assembly Lead in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

The best place to work. Great Training and tools provided to allow each one to succed.

Cons

Lunch time is limited to 20 min. could be longer

Expand lunch to 30 min.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Shutterfly

Pros

Shutterfly is a great place to work. Everyone here is very smart, very nice, and very good at what they do. Upper management is fairly clear in their directives, and everyone generally seems to be on the same page about what direction we are heading. The work-life balance here is one of the best I've ever encountered - while expectations are high and everyone wants to do their best, everyone also understands that there is a time to relax and have fun, both with co-workers and with your own families.

Cons

This is a fairly "flat" organization, and there are not a lot of opportunities for career advancement. Additionally, the quarterly review system is a bit flawed in that it allows for reviews only of an employee by a manager - while the employee contributes heavily to the review process, there is no opportunity for peer reviews, nor is there any opportunity for the employee to give feedback on the manager.

Give all employees the opportunity to review their manager, and to review and be reviewed by their peers. Continue to offer the great team building opportunities that you currently offer, education opportunities that you offer, and keep encouraging people to perform at high levels.