Shutterfly

Shutterfly Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA

Updated Mar 19, 2014

Shutterfly President, CEO, and Director Jeff Housenbold

Jeff Housenbold

Pros
  • Opportunity to make an immediate impact in your area; good compensation; good work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Was a fun place to work - very cool products & solid management team (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Sometimes it can be very challenging when it comes to work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Good old boys club in senior management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights
9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing company culture and morale!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsStraight line of communication between management and individual contributors. Bonuses, room for growth, and fun company team building opportunity. Very innovative with state of the art technologies. I love working for Shutterfly, Inc., and all of my fellow colleagues.

ConsRelocation of my personal department, sad that I can't stay.

A good place to learn and grow.

Production Designer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe culture is laid back and fun. They celebrate major holidays and birthdays in the office. The perks are free snacks and drinks in the kitchen, as well as promo codes. There are a lot of team building activities, if you like that sort of thing. If there is down time, you get to help out in other departments if needed. This can be interesting because it allows you to see what other departments do.

ConsThe busiest times are during major holidays, like Christmas. Expect to do a lot of overtime between November and December. Be prepared, as it can get very tiring working 12+ hour shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people for the holidays to avoid working mandatory overtime.

good business

Senior Web Engineer II (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosgood atmosphere, good coworker, good manager

Consworst hr, fake senior management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Senior QA Engineer I (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood company culture, good benefits, some nice perks at work (currently at least), "pay for performance" type of rewarding scheme - so you get quarterly bonuses based on performance, plus official & unofficial raises can happen which can include additional RSUs awarded. Unofficial raises are what I call ones that get you more benefits without a formal promotion. Benefits in terms of salary, health benefits, stock options, 401k are comparable to good companies. The vision plan covers transition lenses for free, and dental plan covers braces for adults up to $1500. Perks include free snacks and free drinks at work, some form of gym. Good culture includes having several company events a year for celebration, and quarterly & monthly all hands meetings.

Cons401k has no employer matching left out in favor of "pay for performance" rewarding culture.

Shutterfly creates lasting memories

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsShutterfly operates in the small teams settings, giving you a feel of community and working together seems less stretched. Everyone is working towards the same goals set by the CEO. Everyone is communicated the same message that supports the business and management treats everyone equal. All rumors a quelled with the truth within corporate and social circles.

All Shutterfly tangible products are made in the USA.

ConsSeparate office locations means more time commuting between work locations.
    Shutterfly does not match 401K contributions.
    Health Insurance benefits plans could be improved.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs Shutterfly grows, management needs to consider 401K matching.

Work hard, play hard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat culture, fun team. Especially in Sunnyvale. The office knows how to buckle down and get a ton of work done under pressure (Q4 is very very busy) but I've never worked at another company that knows how to kick up its feet and have some fun once in a while as well as this one.

ConsOccasionally questionable product decisions/direction, but it's a minor gripe.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work--I see only good things in the near future.

Very good managerial skills

Production Design (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsMulti -tasking, dynamic, dedicated, thoughtful, taking good initiatives, taking good care of employees

ConsCannot think of any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Be part of a hard working skilled team with workplace perks

Software Quality Assurance Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFree and discounted snacks and drinks
    Flexible work schedule
    Work with hard working dedicated team members
    Free merchandise from company - use & test your own product

ConsSome long work hours and weekend work to get releases out
    Some late night load testing to not affect live site

It is a life changing experience

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe culture, The relationship with your peers and management, the community culture

Conslong hours can sometimes be a runaway thing

Advice to Senior Managementremember to remind us to play

Worked for Shutterfly? Contribute to the Community!