SideCar

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Not yet rated.

Really enjoy working here...

I have been working at SideCar full-time

ProsTerrific people
Cool startup
Huge buzz and excitement

Cons3rd place vs. competition
Need to get really focused on differentiating themselves from the competiton

Advice to Senior ManagementGet focused!

OK place to start, not a great place to stay

Anonymous (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SideCar full-time for more than a year

ProsPerks are pretty good. The entire team comes together and gets along well because there are some great people here. Free lunch Fridays are good. Anyperk membership is ok. Snacks in office and team meetings every week bring people together. They are working to differentiate the business even though I am not sure they are on the right track just yet.

Cons1.No values: Where are we headed? Why? Why are we making specific choices? I have a concern, comment, disagreement, and/or feedback; does anyone care? These are all questions you will ask yourself on a daily basis working here. I do not have faith that managers will make wise choices. If you speak up about issues, major issues, a lot of concern is expressed but there is absolutely no follow up. It's as if no one gets it. Discourage new managers from shushing lower level employees when they bring up concerns. 2.Not Customer Focused: I come from a heavy customer focused background and this company does not get the fact that customers make/break your business. Solving their issues matter. Failing our customers means we've failed. The dev team members obviously have too much on their plate if they can't fix a customer's app who uses the service everyday. Giving credit for customer issues is their only solution. Pay more attention to customer support issues, they get it. Fix fraud with the BEST solution, not the easiest. 3. Stop making teenagers managers: Management seems to have no idea how to choose natural born leaders who are well rounded. 4.No Growth Potential: I can't think of one department that has any growth potential. You have the opportunity to cross pollinate and help with other teams but this is only for your benefit. I have been involved in every aspect of the business but I am still not a valued employee. Great place to learn but you'll have to move on to progress. 5. People are leaving and they refuse to hire new people. They would rather just choose another employee to do their job and pay them a couple of dollars more....if anything.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose leaders wisely. Listen to customer support issues. Cut down on promo complexity, simplicity is everything. Hire more freaking people, we're struggling. Transparency is great internally, stop sharing everything with drivers. Positivity is great, but let's be realistic and talk about where we're failing so we can grow.

Used to be great to work here....now ehhh

QA Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at SideCar full-time for more than a year

ProsIt started out great working for Sidecar for about the first year (until Spring 2013). It was super exciting, all very new, lots of passion all around, so much to learn and a great group of people to work with each day. Once Lyft and Uber got their big rounds of funding though, the party ended for the most part (employee layoffs, executive team changes, etc).

Pros that still exist are limited but there are a handful. Flexible work schedules, pretty solid heath insurance (the rest of the benefits are meh - no 401k match, dental is a crap plan that you have to pay for, etc.), depending on your department there's very little micromanagement and a lot of independence to do your own thing, nice office and location.

I'd rate them more a 2.5 star overall but can't here.

ConsTheir pay scales are pretty out of whack. Engineers (starting with mostly a junior engineer team) get paid a lot higher than the industry standard (guess that's a pro if you're an engineer), while they might as well outsource some operations roles with the amount they pay some employees. That's always been the case here. To put it bluntly, the executives are cheap and undervalue a core of their team while they go on vacation all the time (they, being the executives).

The broesphere as I like to dub it is pretty apparent here (it's an environment filled with dudebro engineers) and can make you cringe depending on your tolerance level for dudebros. Some are pretty nice but for the group as a whole are arrogant, lack responsibility/accountability for their projects, etc. A handful are sneaky and conniving. It's challenging to introduce senior or female team members that need to work closely with them because of this environment. This a big issue since they need more experience to execute big projects more efficiently and to scale properly.

Transparency can be a problem here. Communication has improved with collaboration among teams but the executive team could still use some work. It's like they are trying so hard to be transparent about very small items, so that you don't realize that they are bamboozling you/the company on what they are doing behind close doors on bigger, more important issues. Smokescreens and what not. #shady

Not all teams get the support they need to succeed whether it's an actual budget, staffing or internal tools.

They don't seem to be able to retain talent. Often due to the above reasons and many broken promises.

Advice to Senior Management- Have actual roll out plans for new markets like how you will attract new passengers and drivers PRIOR to rolling them out. This includes an actual marketing strategy and budget.
- Fundraise before the summer. You've done this twice now and it's only hurt us. Get on that NOW, not June.
- Try to actually be transparent and don't try so hard. Transparency doesn't require a lot of effort, I question it when there's an excessive amount of effort exerted and so do others.
- Adjust salary when roles change significantly so employees don't resent working here.
- Do what you can to retain your current talent. Award/praise the right people and make them feel better about the hard work they are doing for you. A bonus doesn't hurt either.
- Focus on improving the state of the support team. They are your front lines and they help retain your customers. So, without a solid team there will be a lot of unnecessary customer churn.
- Hold teams accountable and make them actually do their OKRs.
- Pay careful attention to new hires. Make sure they are a cultural fit.
- Get rid of the bad fits and slackers.

Interesting industry, wrong company to work for if you like rideshare or transportation

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SideCar full-time for less than a year

ProsProduct features are different (arguably superior) to competitors. Great office location, $150 sidecar credits for employees per month, was the leader in rideshare early in the rideshare game. Fun opportunity to interact directly with app users.

ConsPay is not good for most groups. Engineers and top management are probably ok, but other employees are underpaid. The customer support groups are treated terribly in every aspect: overworked, underpaid, not appreciated, no resources. High stress and low reward. Marketing is the same. Good group of people but underpaid, overworked, no resources... Values are nonexistent at the company. Perks aren't impressive compared to other startups. There are some snacks and lunch one day a week. Company parties and happy hours are just ok. The product itself is good, but not well supported by QA or dev, so other teams feel the pain. There's a feeling of being in last place compared to competitors. Management ineffectively promotes the underdog concept. Employee turnover seems high (not sure what the standard is, but more people are leaving than we're hiring).

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more attention into hiring good managers to help teams in need of structure and support. Pay more $ to the groups on the front lines; incentive pay is a good thing. Give marketing the resources they need to do their jobs well. Remove disruptive managers/executives. Find a way to keep some of the 'original' crew. For the rest of us, watching 5 of the original crew leave in a 2 month period is troubling.

Can't keep employees - doesn't value them / not customer focused

I have been working at SideCar

Pros- Entrance into a newish concept, the sharing economy
- Real impact in the world and individual users
- Lots of drama if you are into soap operas
- If you are into dogfood and poorly made speeches, this is the place for you culturally

Cons- Lots of drama if you aren't into soap operas
- Gender gap is very apparent here ( lower salary, higher expectations, less respect towards a particular gender)
- Execs aren't in the loop with basic work flows - or lack there of. Pretty sure they all use Uber because lack of knowledge of the app basics is very apparent.
- Doesn't understand this is a service industry - translation doesn't respect drivers and passengers despite the fact they make the company
- Jumping back to the exec team - some consistent characteristics -> delusional, delusional, delusional, delusional!
- Dev team is inexperienced, especially the CTO.
- Marketing is nonexistent as well as internal tools to support users all the way to do proper basic analytics like ride counts.
- The biggest issue -> lack of balls.
- Prepare to fight to get paid more and move up after you take on 4-5 jobs there because they refuse to hire new people.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake this an environment to make people want to stay. Losing 8 people out of 42 in less than 1.5 months is not okay. The current app has a lot of potential if you actually market it and educate drivers to do commuting instead of increasing their fares to the equivalent of uber gouging. Our users deserve better than our drivers thinking they are this entitled (they aren't).

While you are at it, get a real support team - the core have left and it's dying fast and the effects on our users are apparent.

Great idea, changing the world!

City Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at SideCar full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with really smart people on a great idea. Top notch dev.

ConsLack of management and internal culture was excruciating.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut people on projects that are sharpen their strengths instead of putting "manager hats" on people based on tenure and brown nosing.

Worked for SideCar? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SideCar reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by SideCar employees.