Sidley Austin

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sidley Austin Chair Carter Phillips

Carter Phillips

Pros
  • Work life balance is generally better than what I have heard from other firms (in 5 reviews)

• The cafe is great and good benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • no telecommuting, long hours, very little room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• Like most big law firms, hours requirement mandates a long day on a regular basis and some weekend work (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights
13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A solid internship for those seeking professional experience.

Marketing Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsAs a college sophomore I worked here as an intern and was generally pleased with my experience. My coworkers were always friendly and helpful, and it was generally a very pleasant (yet professional) environment to work in. The pay was great and I learned a lot of valuable skills which would prove beneficial in later positions. As an intern, I was given ample guidance when necessary, but also a degree of independence which I very much appreciated. Additionally, there were great perks such as opportunities to attend swanky events and network with important people.

ConsHours could be long, depending on project deadlines and such. Luckily, I was paid overtime when I had to stay longer than expected. Additionally, as with just about any office internship, there was occasional mundane busywork such as data entry and faxing/copying documents.

Big Law that I Can Live With

Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPeople here are really smart and dedicated. It is one of the most welcoming environments I have ever been in. It is still big law, and long hours, but I wouldn't want to practice any other place.

ConsIt is what it is. It is a big firm, with big clients, high billing and incredible hours. It could be worse of course, but I don't think anyone wants their life's mantra to be it could be worse. You have to decide if firm life and culture is for you. That said, if you want to be a New York lawyer, I can't imagine a more supportive place to practice.

My overall experience at Sidley has been a positive one. My coworkers are extremely supportive.

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking with a talented team of people that truly feels like a team in the New York office. Great opportunities for carrer growth on the Business Development side.

ConsDifficult personalities; my department is quite fractured by office

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Hard to Advance as a Woman

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsVery good pay, teamwork environment, good to work as a 1st and 2nd year associate, but not beyond that

ConsSidley offers most work to its male Associates and females are often scavengering around for work in order to obtain billable hours. During the summer, at the end of an associate's 2nd year, the firm routinely does a massive layoff over the course of the entire summer, of about 5 associates a month, in order to make room to give work to the new first year class coming in. At that time, they keep only very few 3rd year associates. At this time, all associates are closely watched and judgment is tested. There are very few female partners, and it is a very white shoe environment. Training as a first year associate is not very good.

It was a great learning experience that allowed me to move on to my next job

Legal Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are friendly, the offices are nice and the cafeteria is great.

ConsWork long hours, administrative and not too many employee perks or social events unless for the summer associates.

Work as a Legal Assistant has been challenging and somewhat exciting.

Legal Assistant (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork life balance is generally better than what I have heard from other firms.

ConsVery long hours at times and a lack of feeling like you are making any difference in the direction of a transaction.

Supportive

Staff Attorney (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSupportive, nurturing and friendly environment

ConsNA, it was a good place to work

Advice to Senior ManagementNA, I felt it was doing excellent job

Meh

Professional Staff (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros- the people I worked with were caring and loyal

Cons- there is a huge differentiation between staff and attorneys. Not a pleasant environment

What a mess...

Legal Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proshelps you figure out what type of law you might want to practice

ConsInsane hours
    poor pay compared to work
    work is amazingly menial
    everyone is desperately overworked
    major stress rolls down hill, and it all lands on LA shoulders

Until the layoffs of 2009, I was very glad to work at Sidley Austin

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe staff was very experienced and worked well across the shifts, information was shared freely and there was an atmosphere of ease.

ConsSometimes we didn't have all of the equipment to do the job satisfactorily. Implementation of new software could take a long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementOutsourcing may save a little money initially, but it is demoralizing to the morale of the remaining workers and it

Worked for Sidley Austin? Contribute to the Community!