Siemens Energy & Automation

Updated October 4, 2014
3.4

Siemens Energy & Automation President and CEO Dennis Sadlowski
Dennis Sadlowski

Pros
  • Diversity, very technical, white collar, good benefits, training (in 12 reviews)

• Large employer with great benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance may at times be difficult to manage (in 3 reviews)

• Very little/ No communication between upper management and Engineers (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

contract

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

great guys to work with and managers are great aswell.

Cons

no real cons to complain about.

Very large company with typical politics and behaviors

Former Employee - Market Development Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Market Development Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, many different divisions and possible roles, generally good managers, flexible work hours, pretty good insurance and benefits, and a friendly culture.

Cons

Consistently incompetent HR, which has outsourced everything in the name of cost savings to the point when managing simple things like benefits, hiring, and firing are nearly impossible to so smoothly. Despite trying to drive for a "high performing culture" (in their words), their actions never quite make it and there is considerable mediocrity from employees that simply won't ever be fired. Salaries are considerably below industry average. It wasn't uncommon to receive offers for 25-30% more for the same job from other companies. Culture and politics driven from German HQ, which makes any meaningful change EXTREMELY difficult and slow. As a result, the company can't react to market and customer changes in a timely manner.

In short, Siemens needs to figure out if they are going to be a German company that operates globally or a truly global company that just happens to be headquartered in Germany. HQ needs to allow each region to have more autonomy, so they can change their businesses faster to meet market needs without fear of political fallout in Germany. Change takes way, way too long to be beneficial. Look at O&G growth in the US, and Siemens terribly slow response to it. While things are better now, being competitive with major players (like GE) required the purchase of Dresser Rand at a very high price and considerable post-merger integration! TMR salary ranges for good employees need to be elevated 20-30% to be competitive in the market. HR needs to take a more active role in finding development roles for top talent. My President and most of his staff spent over a year trying to find or make a new role for me to move into. While employees should drive their own career development, there simply were no opportunities. In a time of such growth in the US market, this is simply not acceptable for aggressive, forward-minded managers.

Top down German Oriented

Former Employee - Automation in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Automation in Elgin, IL

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company.
    Good group of fellow employees.

Cons

Very German oriented with strong good old boys club.
    Boom & bust cycle management.
    Companies bought to kill competition.

Very top down one way management.
     Listen & respond to people doing the work.

Micro-managed.

Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Procurement Specialist in Elgin, IL

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional. Metrics driven. Good benefits.

Cons

Culture of fear. Strictly observed hierarchy. Too many highly paid professionals who just add to the overhead. Lots of layoffs. Favoritism is rampant. You better have someone higher up watching your back.

People used to care about that company. It's sad that you mistreat the ones that brought it through the early years when there was such crazy booming growth. You let the newcomers chase out the old guard. You brought in too many data heads, try getting your current group to rise to an occasion of 150% growth year after year, after year. You've lost market share and the regard of the customer base. Coincidence, I think not.

Better than some, worse than others.

Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer II in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Average to slightly above average pay, good company 401k match, and good health care package.

Cons

Company business always comes first. Better be part of the good old boys network if you want to advance. Very poor IT support making it difficult to get work done. Siemens is basically a holding comany that buys profitable companies, disrupts the culture and sucessful nature of the business, then wrings out a couple good years of high profits before selling them off.

system engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Siemens Energy & Automation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Diversity, very technical, white collar, good benefits, training

Cons

hours, mgmt, atmosphere, parking, weather

none

Good "starter company"

Current Employee - Engineering in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Engineering in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This organization of Siemens AG, Siemens Industry Inc., is a good place to work especially when beginning a career. Resources and benefits available to employees are among the best; their size gives them tremendous negotiating potential. Siemens is a diversified German conglomerate that can allow you to move to various industry sectors while staying within the same corporate structure. There is a fair amount of opportunity if you are looking for leadership positions, training and persona growth.

Cons

The reason we all work - compensation: I think they are competitive, but are not among leading companies in this regard. While benefits offered are very strong and salaries are competitive, once you are working at the company, there is little one can do to boost this. Their corporate structure inherently limits progress based on merit. I believe it has to do with the German/European business culture.
    Culture: One may be very satisfied with compensation, but when it comes to culture, it could give some pause. It is an assorted group of silo's. As a result, overlapping efforts and work duplication is pervasive. It's overly structured and fosters an environment of "helplessness" to the average employee.

I believe bureaucracy reigns, which should be a focus for improvement - at least in the Americas. When this is the case, employees get the strong message - from polices and procedures - that one should not rock the boat, but rather accept the status quo. Unfortunately, this discourages new ideas, innovation and fresh thinking, which I believe are crucial to any company that wants to thrive in this new century.

Systems Engineer

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

I learned a great deal while working at Siemens. You get to interface with factories from all over the world.

Cons

IT & HR Policies are horrible. HR is almost non exist ant for the employee.

Work on better cooperation between departments and organizations within Siemens.

I worked for three years then was terminated because my job was eliminated during a group reorganization.

Former Employee - Aftermarket Sales Engineer in Elgin, IL
    Former Employee - Aftermarket Sales Engineer in Elgin, IL

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company was well known in the industry so entrance to outside companies to arrange visits was easy. Compensation was adequate.

Cons

The company is so big that resolution of any personal questions was difficult as everything with Human Relations had to be done on the phone or computer.

Being let go from the company for reasons that I had no control over was very discouraging and definitely gave me a very negative view of the company.

A launching point for software developers; but don't stay too long...

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for Siemens for just over 4 years. I worked in both the US and in Germany.

At first I was 'star-struck' that I was working for a large corporation like Siemens. Plenty of travel opportunities and what I thought was 'high-tech' projects. The corporate brain-washing they feed college recruits leads you to believe that you'll be working on 'world changing' projects.

What's good with Siemens:

1) Work/Life balance is good (but only Siemens it's filled with aggressive employees)

2) Benefits are fair (but not the salary)

3) Chances to live in lost cost of living areas of the country (Tennessee)

4) Good travel per-diems

Cons

Over my 4 years I had the opportunity to meet and work with many other Siemens employees from Tennessee, Georgia, and Germany. Many of the other Siemens employees are middle aged guys who have no plans whatsoever of ever leaving Siemens or changing for the better. They just sit back waiting for retirement and have no energy to change. Their portfolio of technical skills was assembled back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Over time I started realizing that Siemens suffers from a lot of problems:

1) Way too much politics between US and Germany. (Spoiler alert - Germany ALWAYS wins!)

2) Salaries were below average for other software companies.

3) The technology Siemens uses is at least a decade behind. And when they do 'play' with newer technology, the older employees get first grabs at using it, which in the end leads to disasters because they haven't kept up with things since the 90s. I wish I had recorded some of the technical conversations I had with 'Senior Developers'...some of them have no concept of topics regarding cyber security, modern programming languages and modern practices.

4) There are way too many older employees that are standing in the way of younger employees. They've been there forever, doing things the same way over and over again.

Within one year of leaving Siemens, I was making more than 30% more money, working for a 'true' high-tech company, working with modern technology and leading my own team of software developers. NONE of this would have been possible if I had stayed at Siemens.

Siemens Energy & Automation Photos