Siemens Energy & Automation

Siemens Energy & Automation Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Siemens Energy & Automation President and CEO Dennis Sadlowski

Dennis Sadlowski

Pros
  • Diversity, very technical, white collar, good benefits, training(in 11 reviews)

• Large employer with great benefits(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Very little/ No communication between upper management and Engineers(in 4 reviews)

• Currently no training due to bad economy(in 3 reviews)

contract

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat guys to work with and managers are great aswell.

Consno real cons to complain about.

Better than some, worse than others.

Systems Engineer II (Former Employee) Grand Rapids, MI

ProsAverage to slightly above average pay, good company 401k match, and good health care package.

ConsCompany business always comes first. Better be part of the good old boys network if you want to advance. Very poor IT support making it difficult to get work done. Siemens is basically a holding comany that buys profitable companies, disrupts the culture and sucessful nature of the business, then wrings out a couple good years of high profits before selling them off.

system engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsDiversity, very technical, white collar, good benefits, training

Conshours, mgmt, atmosphere, parking, weather

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good "starter company"

Engineering (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThis organization of Siemens AG, Siemens Industry Inc., is a good place to work especially when beginning a career. Resources and benefits available to employees are among the best; their size gives them tremendous negotiating potential. Siemens is a diversified German conglomerate that can allow you to move to various industry sectors while staying within the same corporate structure. There is a fair amount of opportunity if you are looking for leadership positions, training and persona growth.

ConsThe reason we all work - compensation: I think they are competitive, but are not among leading companies in this regard. While benefits offered are very strong and salaries are competitive, once you are working at the company, there is little one can do to boost this. Their corporate structure inherently limits progress based on merit. I believe it has to do with the German/European business culture.
    Culture: One may be very satisfied with compensation, but when it comes to culture, it could give some pause. It is an assorted group of silo's. As a result, overlapping efforts and work duplication is pervasive. It's overly structured and fosters an environment of "helplessness" to the average employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe bureaucracy reigns, which should be a focus for improvement - at least in the Americas. When this is the case, employees get the strong message - from polices and procedures - that one should not rock the boat, but rather accept the status quo. Unfortunately, this discourages new ideas, innovation and fresh thinking, which I believe are crucial to any company that wants to thrive in this new century.

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsI learned a great deal while working at Siemens. You get to interface with factories from all over the world.

ConsIT & HR Policies are horrible. HR is almost non exist ant for the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on better cooperation between departments and organizations within Siemens.

I worked for three years then was terminated because my job was eliminated during a group reorganization.

Aftermarket Sales Engineer (Former Employee) Elgin, IL

ProsThe company was well known in the industry so entrance to outside companies to arrange visits was easy. Compensation was adequate.

ConsThe company is so big that resolution of any personal questions was difficult as everything with Human Relations had to be done on the phone or computer.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing let go from the company for reasons that I had no control over was very discouraging and definitely gave me a very negative view of the company.

A launching point for software developers; but don't stay too long...

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsI worked for Siemens for just over 4 years. I worked in both the US and in Germany.

At first I was 'star-struck' that I was working for a large corporation like Siemens. Plenty of travel opportunities and what I thought was 'high-tech' projects. The corporate brain-washing they feed college recruits leads you to believe that you'll be working on 'world changing' projects.

What's good with Siemens:

1) Work/Life balance is good (but only Siemens it's filled with aggressive employees)

2) Benefits are fair (but not the salary)

3) Chances to live in lost cost of living areas of the country (Tennessee)

4) Good travel per-diems

ConsOver my 4 years I had the opportunity to meet and work with many other Siemens employees from Tennessee, Georgia, and Germany. Many of the other Siemens employees are middle aged guys who have no plans whatsoever of ever leaving Siemens or changing for the better. They just sit back waiting for retirement and have no energy to change. Their portfolio of technical skills was assembled back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Over time I started realizing that Siemens suffers from a lot of problems:

1) Way too much politics between US and Germany. (Spoiler alert - Germany ALWAYS wins!)

2) Salaries were below average for other software companies.

3) The technology Siemens uses is at least a decade behind. And when they do 'play' with newer technology, the older employees get first grabs at using it, which in the end leads to disasters because they haven't kept up with things since the 90s. I wish I had recorded some of the technical conversations I had with 'Senior Developers'...some of them have no concept of topics regarding cyber security, modern programming languages and modern practices.

4) There are way too many older employees that are standing in the way of younger employees. They've been there forever, doing things the same way over and over again.

Within one year of leaving Siemens, I was making more than 30% more money, working for a 'true' high-tech company, working with modern technology and leading my own team of software developers. NONE of this would have been possible if I had stayed at Siemens.

Great internship

ProsGreat people and real work

ConsNo team members to work with, cubicle enviornment

Great Benifits

Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat Benifits, large corporate structure provideds a strong benifit package. Decent base pay and bonus structure. Good people and corporate resources

ConsVery large, cumbersome processes. Senior management more concerned about next rung in the career progression and not enough about growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions based on local needs not to report back to corporate

Good but not great

Project Engineer (Current Employee) Norcross, GA

ProsLarge employer with great benefits

ConsConstantly, constantly changing business structure

Worked for Siemens Energy & Automation? Contribute to the Community!