Siemens Energy & Automation

Siemens Energy & Automation Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Siemens Energy & Automation President and CEO Dennis Sadlowski

Dennis Sadlowski

Pros:
  • "Large employer with great benefits"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good benefits package, many employees with 15"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "Very little/ No communication between upper management and Engineers"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Currently no training due to bad economy"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Worst place to be

Management Trainee (Former Employee)
Mumbai (India)

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation as an intern for less than a year

Prosnothing great to mention as the business is colapsing majestically, however the people in India were quite warm despite their most lethargic behaviour

ConsWorst coordination
They can dishonour the offer anytime if the manager's position is at stake

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a nice fresh mind to consult your conglomerate to perform better in the market

A launching point for software developers; but don't stay too long...

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI worked for Siemens for just over 4 years. I worked in both the US and in Germany.

At first I was 'star-struck' that I was working for a large corporation like Siemens. Plenty of travel opportunities and what I thought was 'high-tech' projects. The corporate brain-washing they feed college recruits leads you to believe that you'll be working on 'world changing' projects.

What's good with Siemens:

1) Work/Life balance is good (but only Siemens it's filled with aggressive employees)

2) Benefits are fair (but not the salary)

3) Chances to live in lost cost of living areas of the country (Tennessee)

4) Good travel per-diems

ConsOver my 4 years I had the opportunity to meet and work with many other Siemens employees from Tennessee, Georgia, and Germany. Many of the other Siemens employees are middle aged guys who have no plans whatsoever of ever leaving Siemens or changing for the better. They just sit back waiting for retirement and have no energy to change. Their portfolio of technical skills was assembled back in the 90s and early 2000s.

Over time I started realizing that Siemens suffers from a lot of problems:

1) Way too much politics between US and Germany. (Spoiler alert - Germany ALWAYS wins!)

2) Salaries were below average for other software companies.

3) The technology Siemens uses is at least a decade behind. And when they do 'play' with newer technology, the older employees get first grabs at using it, which in the end leads to disasters because they haven't kept up with things since the 90s. I wish I had recorded some of the technical conversations I had with 'Senior Developers'...some of them have no concept of topics regarding cyber security, modern programming languages and modern practices.

4) There are way too many older employees that are standing in the way of younger employees. They've been there forever, doing things the same way over and over again.

Within one year of leaving Siemens, I was making more than 30% more money, working for a 'true' high-tech company, working with modern technology and leading my own team of software developers. NONE of this would have been possible if I had stayed at Siemens.

Systems Engineer

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI learned a great deal while working at Siemens. You get to interface with factories from all over the world.

ConsIT & HR Policies are horrible. HR is almost non exist ant for the employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on better cooperation between departments and organizations within Siemens.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stay away from this place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation

Pros-Some harsh but valuable lessons into the darker side of the corporate world and human nature in general

Cons-Nepotism and old boys club, no growth opportunities unless you are in this group, if you are not a white male who can schmooze and booze with the best of them then forget it
-Office politics and toxic work environment - brown nosing is the order of the day
-Workplace bullying and sidelining of those that don't fit in the mould (extroverted white alpha males)
-Management run the place like a dictatorship and HR side with them
-Lack of unity and collaboration between departments, no lateral mobility
-Computer systems (e.g. online leave management system) cumbersome and inefficient to use
-No transparency in job conditions - lots of long term travel and unpaid overtime required, this was not disclosed when accepting the job, also salaries should reflect these inconveniences but are far from it
-No work life balance due to long working hours and long term travel at short notice

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like human beings instead of trashing them and using management positions just to prop up your own egos. Or better still just retire already and make way for managers that are more positive and affirming

It was a very nice learning experiance, gave me a strong foundation for my career

Intern (Former Employee)
Panaji (India)

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat work-life balance.
Amazing working atmosphere
Encouraging and patient Senior Managers

ConsBureaucratic structure can slow down work

Good but not great

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
Norcross, GA

I have been working at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge employer with great benefits

ConsConstantly, constantly changing business structure

Old generation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Siemens Energy & Automation as a contractor for more than a year

ProsPeople were generally pleasant and benefits to full-time employees were adequate.

ConsThis company wastes a lot of dollars and runs its data in perpetual circles. A lot of this nonsense seems to be for job preservation, or "this is how we've always done it." An old generation of factory engineers with little understanding of current data technologies. Little growth and much hiring through temporary services to keep current full-time staff in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementData overhaul. Look at your date systems and date library and completely overhaul practice of naming parts and supplies and overall data workflow. Half of the current staff could be trimmed making way for new blood with modern understanding of database.

Large Company with Lots of Opportunity

I have been working at Siemens Energy & Automation

ProsThe company is vested in the learning and development of high performers. If you perform well, the opportunities will come.

ConsWork/life balance may at times be difficult to manage

Great internship

I have been working at Siemens Energy & Automation

ProsGreat people and real work

ConsNo team members to work with, cubicle enviornment

Great Benifits

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Siemens Energy & Automation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Benifits, large corporate structure provideds a strong benifit package. Decent base pay and bonus structure. Good people and corporate resources

ConsVery large, cumbersome processes. Senior management more concerned about next rung in the career progression and not enough about growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions based on local needs not to report back to corporate

Worked for Siemens Energy & Automation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Siemens Energy & Automation reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Siemens Energy & Automation CEO Dennis Sadlowski. All 140 reviews posted anonymously by Siemens Energy & Automation employees.