Siemens

Updated December 21, 2014
3.5

Siemens President & CEO Joe Kaeser
Joe Kaeser

Pros
  • Healthy respect for work life balance, good benefits, excellent place to learn (in 77 reviews)

• The work environment is also very nice and inviting (in 53 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management tried to prompt younger guys for better control (in 21 reviews)

• Hard to manage a good work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Biochemist

I have been working at Siemens

Pros

Good company with good benefit, opportunity to move up

Cons

you have to work hard to be promoted

help younger employee

Fantastic work life balance, okay pay.

Former Employee - Intern in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Intern in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Siemens as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Could basically set my own hours as an intern, provided I still worked 40 hours. This may be division specific, as my manager was awesome.

Cons

Pay was slightly below what other's generally pay for interns.

As with every large company, you have to expect a large amount of red tape. I would only say that their needs to be more set guidelines as far as what our division was expected to do, and what lies outside our prerogative.

overall very positive.

Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Development Manager in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Siemens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very large stable company with a chance to learn alot

Cons

Very large company with not alot of personal and professional growth. Slaries are average and raised are very small, even if you exceed performance goals.

Better career progression and guidance for managers

Good Company

Current Employee - Business Development Intern
    Current Employee - Business Development Intern

I have been working at Siemens as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job as an intern. Got a good feel for the business world and the culture of the company. Well paid for someone with my experience.

Cons

Didn't always give me enough work but I can hardly complain about that.

There were good times and bad times

I worked at Siemens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were a lot of very friendly people in my team. We communicated well and made the best out of what we had. I enjoyed my job for the most part and it provided a good learning experience. But that only lasted a short time.

Cons

It is all about the bottom line. Do more work for the same or less money. There is a lot of waste which resulted in cutbacks and major outsourcing. It made completing day to day tasks extremely diffcult due to not only time differences between the US and India but the communication barriers and breakdowns. Management wanted more output of work so most people were doing the work of 3 or 4 people.

Start caring about people and the business will improve. When you remove inefficiencies and allow people to work autonomsly toward the same goal (bettering the company) - the quality of work will increase as well as employee morale. And when employees are happy, they stay longer. Training, health benefits, time lost due to sickness, lack of motivation which leads to lack of quality all cost MUCH more money than doing it right.

Loved the co-workers, but the engineers were horrible.

Former Employee - Drive Technician in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Drive Technician in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Siemens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Co-workers were great and the benefits were good.

Cons

The pay was horrible for a Drive Technician. Engineers were located at a different location, so we could not always communicate when things didn't fit or work.

Pay the people better and give them engineers that are there locally.

Internship was okay... - your experience could vary depending upon many variables

Former Employee - Procurement Intern
    Former Employee - Procurement Intern

I worked at Siemens as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

-Good pay for an internship
    -Looks great on a resume
    -Mostly awesome coworkers who were knowledgeable, fun to work with, and mostly willing to help
    -A very interesting company that has many business units around the world
    -Global mobility opportunities
    -Fairly good work/life balance
    -Cool from the outside looking in

Cons

-Too many business units and locations ( You never know where you'll be placed as an intern )
    -Poor development of interns at sites that aren't headquarters or large offices
    -Typical large company problems (poor communication between departments, offices, too many layers of mgmt, etc.)
    -Lack of work from time to time (and yes this is a problem, esp for interns trying to learn by doing)
    -Outdated management practices
    -Top down approach to everything
    -Not so cool from the inside looking out

Get better at managing people. You're a world-class engineering and manufacturing company, however you need a better talent pipeline and development of those who are non-engineers for interns and employees of all levels. Competitors are better at this.

Laid back internship, wasn't given enough work for most days. Projects ended up mostly being busy work

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Siemens full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, decent money.

Cons

Possibly the most dry corporate culture you can imagine. You don't get to work with teams that often, usually just sent off to do your own assignment.

Great place for recent graduates

Current Employee - Senior Biochemist in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Biochemist in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Siemens full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to start your career. Not a good choice if you are an established scientist

Cons

Promotions are too quick and almost everyone gets them. Seen many individuals promoted when they dont understand the fundamentals of science.

Learn how to retain your talented scientist

ITO Helpdesk is a Sweatshop position

Current Employee - Customr Support Technician II in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Customr Support Technician II in Malvern, PA

I have been working at Siemens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Can work from home occasionally, many of the coworkers are easy to get along with. The benefits are OK.

Cons

Poor management communications, preference of knowledge base notes over quality technical training. Don't clearly define the mission or job scope. Not willing to train employees unless they like them. There is a very overt effort toward not training individuals managment doesnt like. Mentoring or career development is not allocated to those who seek it, unless they are part of management's cliche. No respect for balance of life issues unless forced on management by corporate policy.
    Fixated on numbers and not service quality. Treat people with the same stereo negative typical brush, ie: managers and leads are knowledgeable, the workers are idiots. non competitive pay, excessive stress, not concerned about product quality complaints from customers or employees. Discourages innovative ideas unless one is part of management's cliche. They refuse to use technical or product knowledge offered from an employee with regard to customer solutions. Overly dependent on outsourced support from India that most of my clients complain about.

Listen the ideas and suggestions of the employees. Get serious about technical training. Get the knowledge base data peer reviewed, referenced, and vetted by industry experts. Make a serious attempt to reduce the stress that the analyst have to work with. Much of the stress is from inefficient tools and research sources. Show some empathy for employees who have problems. Stand behind your employees when they are trying to resolve customer problems and things don't go right. Stop treating people like they are numbers on a balance sheet.

Siemens Photos