Sierra Club

Sierra Club Reviews

Updated Apr 5, 2014

Sierra Club Executive Director Michael Brune

Michael Brune

Passionate People who get the job done

Intern (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Sierra Club as an intern for less than a year

ProsI interned here for two semesters and learned so much about grassroots organizing as well as environmental policy. If you are passionate about protecting the environment, this is a great place for you!

ConsTwo hour phone banking once a week for interns - at least they provided dinner.

D.C. Internship

Intern, Beyond Coal Campaign (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at Sierra Club as an intern for less than a year

ProsIt's a relaxed and friendly, but effective work environment. It is not a high-stress office, but everyone gets their work done and it is fun to be part of the campaign atmosphere. My supervisor went out of his way to make sure that each intern received an experience tailored to their individual career goals, and it was a phenomenal exposure to the non-profit and advocacy sector of the environmental movement.

ConsIn many situations they rely on people to do basic research and analysis on situations rather than rely on experienced specialists in the field. While I understand that the nature of non-profits requires them to use personnel that wear many hats, this can lead to misinformed policy stances which trickle down to the thousands of people within the membership. Furthermore, they have a very polarized and stubborn environmental view which even some in management are at odds with.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf they cannot afford to have in-house specialists on environmental issues (i.e. economists, toxicologists), they may consider utilizing more research-oriented environmental non-profits such as the World Resources Institute as partners.

Heart is in the right place, salaries are not living wages

I worked at Sierra Club full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe Sierra Club leaders and volunteers really do have their hearts in the right places - they care deeply about the environment. Sure, there are the occasional internal politics but, for the most part, people here get along with each other and work hard.

ConsNeeds some new, fresh ideas from upper management. Salaries need a significant boost to make them livable wages.

Good people, lazy and disorganized work.

Associate Organizer (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at Sierra Club full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFun people to work with.

ConsToo many plans but not enough action.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward folks that work hard, let long term people who are burned out - go!

Project management

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time for less than a year

ProsVery friendly! Easy to get into this place.

ConsHard to work hard because everybody seems like very relaxed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMay be working harder.

I got to work with people I cared about on issues that I cared about.

Organizer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sierra Club full-time

ProsPeople care about what they are doing, and the volunteers are amazing people. The Sierra Club can be incredibly effective at protecting the environment, and its power can be unappreciated by staff, volunteers, and allies.

ConsAdvancement opportunities can be lacking outside DC and SF. Pay is decent for environmental work, but it is lacking compared to other progressive organizations.

Advice to Senior ManagementOrganizers need professional development and career advancement opportunities.

Disappointed With Management

San Francisco, CA

I worked at Sierra Club full-time for more than a year

ProsNice co-workers. Had decent coffee in the office.

ConsQuite a few of the mid level and senior managers are not effective leaders. They provide little or no feedback with regards to work performance. Did not feel at all valued.

Great place to work

I worked at Sierra Club

ProsSmart people who have a passion for the subject matter. Positive, friendly and helpful people who want everyone to succeed.

ConsDifficult to understand overall goals for the organization. Priorities seem to be in flux daily.

Great organizational culture but lots of change happening now

I have been working at Sierra Club full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Amazing coworkers - I've learned so much from them and consider many to be good friends.
- The organization really makes a difference.
- In some areas, lots of opportunity for advancement.
- Great benefits, and non-management employees are represented by a union, which creates a lot of loyalty.

Cons- Salaries are a bit lower than similar organizations.
- Easy to get complacent - I've seen it happen to many people.
- There have been lots of strategic changes over the past few years. Change is good, but it leaves a lot of lower-level employees unsure of how to do their jobs.
- Funding crunches.

Advice to Senior ManagementAn organization this size should have more of a system in place for advancement. Advancement can take years and is often based more on luck than merit.

My internship was educational, but there was much more potential for a well-rounded experience.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Sierra Club as an intern for less than a year

ProsPassionate people, strong national network, effective campaigns.

ConsSF headquarters office is not a very dynamic work environment, no strong sense of community in office.

Advice to Senior ManagementFuture interns would benefit from a more comprehensive introduction to the organization and its work. There are so many facets to the Sierra Club and its internal structure, but rather than gaining an understanding of this I was thrown into menial tasks without being introduced to the context of my work. Although I learned much more as I went along, I think there is a lot of potential for a great internship experience at the Sierra Club if interns are offered more learning opportunities and networking opportunities.

Worked for Sierra Club? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sierra Club reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sierra Club CEO Michael Brune. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Sierra Club employees.