Sierra Nevada Corporation

Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen

Fatih Ozmen

Pros
  • I feel fortunate to have a great benefits package in the midst of a recession(in 13 reviews)

• The pay and benefits have been Amazing(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I would have to agree with the other reviewers about the growing pains(in 15 reviews)

• The only thing I can think of is that we are growing so fast, we all have a lot to do(in 6 reviews)

Entrenched closed minded group of buddies

Field Service Engineer I (Former Employee) Fort Hood, TX

ProsThe mission was and has always been the main reason to work as a defense contractor.

ConsChallenges:
    -Disregard for previous experience with another company.
    -Lip service to the role employees play in the company.
    -Low ball pay offers.
    -Leadership hierarchy ensures that long time company employees receive higher pay or leadership positions despite any experience you bring into the company.
    -Will bid a contract knowing that work can not be accomplished, than continuously refine mission while digging more money out of contract.
    -As far as PM ARES, if you weren't with them in Iraq or the beginning of Afghanistan they don't care about you.
    -Will demand more of you while not paying you for your contribution.

Advice to Senior ManagementReallocate the existing IMS management. Redo the internal structure of IMS, and recognize the toxicity of this contract is why you are downsizing it; expect to end that contract because existing leadership structure is entrenched and closed minded.

A good company

ProsVery generous to their employees. Great benefits. Good people to work with.

ConsUpper management seems to struggle with growth. Has a hard time letting go of responsibilities. Communication to employees on how things are going (good or bad) doesn't happen enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust your employees and empower them. Communicate, communicate, and communicate some more. Rumors happen when we don't know what's going on.

Good Pay, Good 'ole Boy Network, Treat People Like Crap, Corrupt Management, Bribe Employees

Mechanical Engineer (Former Employee) Centennial, CO

ProsPay better than competitors. 401K benefits outstanding if you last 4 years. Work (when there) is interesting.

ConsFear culture. Backstabbing. Scapegoating. Revolving door. Good old boy corrupt management. Run!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe consistent. Be engaged. Be accountable to each other. Care about your team. Break out of the corrupt political network environment. Quit backstabbing each other and scape goating your team members for management problems that affect the program.

To succeed here you have to be an a-hole and a robot. Leads don't stand up for their engineers but in fact throw them under the bus. Management uses lower level employees as scapegoats. 4 managers in 1.5 years. I saw 11 people walked out while there and even more since I left. They treat their people like crap. They even bribed employees $40 to give a positive review on Glassdoor. I did not participate. There is no culture here except fear. They grew too fast in 5 years and wanted to triple in 3. It is riddled with high hopes and lack of wisdom. It is hell to work here!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long hours, questionable environment, petty managers, great pay

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsWhile everything you will read in the "Cons" holds true.... they paid me enough to look past it. Good 401K and benefits. Lot's of travel if you like that (maybe not to the nicest places)! Cool work on cool planes. Camaraderie among the worker bees is very strong.

ConsPetty and sometimes mean management. Lot's of inappropriate jocularity (maybe this is a "pro" I am that kind of guy, but females be warned). Fiefdoms. Definitely a good ol' boy environment. Recent management moves are pushing out current middle management who built the company and replacing them with middle management from a failing drone company (a different good ol' boy group).

Recent *large* pay cuts, that are admittedly not the companies fault (sequestration and shrinking federal budget) but at the end of the day who cares why your paycheck is smaller? Also travel reimbursement to Hagerstown facility was recently and retroactively cut.

**Long** hours. Beyond belief long hours. I was in the hanger at 1AM more times than I would like to admit. But again the overtime pay (this was in 2007 mind you - overtime pay is now long gone) was tremendous.

They use a lot of subcontrators for key roles. This is basically good ol' boys "double dipping" via their own company in many cases.

When I was there there was *A LOT* of firings. See the fiefdom and petty/mean comments. Sort of like ancient Rome, promotion through fratricide sort of thing.

The negative reviews of the Hagerstown branch all have a similar vein and ring true.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about getting rid of the guys from the failed drone company - they don't know the project, don't know the customer, and they have no track record of success. Try to be a bit nicer to folks. Someone annoys you... try not to fire them. Pay cuts to management, and restore a bit of pay to the FSE's.

Also, I suspect many of the positive reviews are astroturfing.

Hagerstown current Senior Management is toxic and out of touch!

Program Analyst (Former Employee) Hagerstown, MD

ProsThe benefits and nothing else!

ConsSenior Management pushes out hardworking, devoted employees because of salaries

Advice to Senior ManagementFor Hagerstown, work on the poor morale and stop worrying about trying to find the correct t-shirt and wasting your money on 8-minute massages and baked goods day and focus on why there's constant turnover and why your long-standing, devoted employees are being forced out due to salaries. Also, listen to your employees and get rid of the "good old boy" team.

Waste of my career working in the IT Department.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGet a complimentary chocolate basket delivered to your house at Christmas.

ConsYou are expected to work 60 - 70 hours a week including nights, weekends, and answer a calls at 4AM. Pay increases are miniscule. Career growth is a myth. Expect to work your *&$^ off and never be rewarded. High turnover rate, low morale, management is a dictatorship that only wants to please the owners and could care less about the staff. The longer you work there the more you should fear being laid off or fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employee ideas and get rid of Senior Managers that make life miserable to everyone else.

Great place to work.

ProsThe benefits are the best I've ever had in comparison to other companies. You feel appreciated as an employee by the owners of the company.

ConsIt's a part of the industry, but being reliant upon government contracts.

Worst Work Experience of My Life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Beavercreek, OH

ProsThere are some good people who work at SNC.

ConsI would never wish my experience on anyone else. This place is toxic.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop giving PM's so much control. They are destroying your work force.

Engineering

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hagerstown, MD

ProsNone to mention since the environment is tiring -exhausting and political. Growth is only for the few outsiders, especially those newly hired from the failing drone company. They are new the upper management. They are surrounding themselves as the new good old boy network.

ConsTo much of a good old boys environment. Quit trying to deliver quality products by copying and pasting without much engineering thought behind the engineering. Put real degreed engineers in charge not drafters and technicians it is a disservice to engineers,customers and the troops. Communication is lacking because it is really a non team environment. How can only a few know it all without considering creating real team environments to leverage and share knowledge in a true team environment to have collaboration rather than having no collaboration as it is now.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive others opportunities not in the 'click , you may find out others do have great ideas. Is prompting the good old boys the answer to creating and delivering quality products. Consider that giving others opportunities can not be any worse that it is now. Understand how to 'connect the parts , that should be fundamental but really is not to those who are in charge.

Good intentions are not enough

Pros-Cutting edge technology, especially in space
    -Genuine desire to serve and better humanity
    -Competitive compensation and benefits (150% 401k match)
    -Talented, friendly, dedicated and patriotic hard working employees

ConsThe desire to serve humanity in general does not extend to management having a servant leadership mentality when it comes to serving their employees.

-Culture somehow both chaotic/fast moving and militaristic/rigid
    -Communication at top levels is very limited, setting the tone for terrible communication throughout the company
    -Employees feel disoriented with all the rapid change and high turnover
    -Environment can vary greatly by location and chain of command
    -All the top down drama is wearing on morale but as long as talent can be replaced, it doesn't seem to matter to the powers that be

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are truly your greatest asset. Please don't think of them as replaceable. The cost of turnover is measured not only in dollars but in loss of experience, key relationships and morale. Pay attention to how the reviews are trending more and more negatively. This reputation will end up harming you in the end if genuine and lasting change is not made.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Sierra Nevada Corporation? Contribute to the Community!