Sierra Nevada Corporation

Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen

Fatih Ozmen

Pros
  • I feel fortunate to have a great benefits package in the midst of a recession(in 13 reviews)

• The pay and benefits have been Amazing(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I would have to agree with the other reviewers about the growing pains(in 15 reviews)

• The only thing I can think of is that we are growing so fast, we all have a lot to do(in 6 reviews)

Unstructured, chaotic, and highly demanding for low pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat 401K plan, good bonus opportunities throughout year, and a very nice holiday party. .

ConsCan only speak about my experience with the company. Awful management at the Centennial location. The company tends to hire young professionals out of college and place them in management roles over professionals who have worked in the industry for 20+ years. Training to help develop a professional in the position they were hired for is lacking. Tend to pay there engineers and professional staff on the lower end and require that they be paid as a salaried employee so they can work them as much as possible without paying them overtime. Expect to work 60+ hour weeks is very common with no overtime being paid. Deadlines are always late and dropped on you at the last minute. Weekend work is very common and if you mention that you have plans set they threaten to fire you. No formal processes or procedures to follow and communication is awful between employees and management on projects. Place feels like you have to be good with the right people to be successful otherwise you're pushed out the door or isolated from the rest of the team. I wouldn't recommend working for this company long term.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers who know what they're doing and focus on developing you're people so they are successful in there positions. Also start paying your people what is fair. Working an employee every week 60+ hours for a mid salary is pretty messed up.

Management does not care about its employees!" Hagerstown, MD

ProsGreat 401K, TA, & Health Benefits. Not much else that was worth a mention here.

ConsSeveral:
    1. Management could care less about employee issues. What ever is best for the bottom line is the only thing that matters. Pay was cut by 40% for entire FSE work force in order to be awarded a contract. Rather than be honest and upfront about what was going on. Employees were kept in the dark on several occasions through out the entire process. When asked why things happened the way they did, management refused to answer questions and gave contradicting answers to several employees.
    2. 'Good Ole Boy System' is the web holding management together. Several members of the management team residing in Hagerstown, MD were put in place simply by whom they had connections with rather than by their qualifications. Example: multiple low level personnel have Bachelor's & Master's Degrees while several members of management haven't earned an Associates.
    3. When complaints are raised to management, they either refuse to resolve the issue or threaten negative action towards the employee bringing the complaint.
    4. Those in leadership positions are 'Yes Men' and will only do as those above them instruct. Rather than question something that they know is impossible to achieve or give a secondary opinion to try to work a compromise, they do what they are told. This often results in the low level workforce being dumped on.
    5. Management has failed to plan for future contract awards. Rather than hiring personnel based on a tentative contract award, they waited till the last minute. Management was fully knowledgeable on the turnover that would result as a result of pay cuts for current employees, yet still failed to act. As a direct result several things happened: current personnel were threatened with negative action if they did not extend their current obligations in order to fill the slots of those that quit as a result of pay cuts, new personnel with limited experience replaced extremely qualified FSE's and quality suffered, and most importantly the customer suffered as the manning was not sufficient enough to meet contract obligations.
    6. Personnel are not paid and promoted based on experience, length of employment, and educational background. This results in overqualified personnel being paid less then under qualified persons.

Advice to Senior ManagementSNC corporate (Sparks, NV) needs to conduct a thorough investigation into the practices of its Hagerstown branch. Until this is done, Hagerstown SNC will continue to spiral into the black hole that is management.

Nov 26, 2013

Dear SNC Employee,

Thank you for your comments. We also greatly appreciate your service to SNC on difficult missions in austere environments. Unfortunately, the reduction in employees’ pay under
    ... More

it was good where I was and the direct management was doing its best.

Structures (Former Employee) Denver, CO

Prosfinding contracts that wasent out of reach

Consneeding professional recruiters that can pick quality mechanics.

Advice to Senior Managementuse the areas in the hanger for the best working space and don't poison the rest with composit dust.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rewarding, I get a since of pride knowing I am helping with national security.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hagerstown, MD

ProsGreat benefits, I feel the owners really value their employees.

ConsSlow times. Mid level maagement.

Advice to Senior Managementmid-level managers need to attend training courses and held responsible for their actions and departments. All divisions should work more closely.

Oct 23, 2013

First, we thank you for sharing your feedback. This allows us to continually improve our work environment and processes for the benefit of all SNC employees. We will take into account your ... More

Overall positive experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExciting to work on Next Generation products; Also exciting to be working with the US Military and trying to understand their requirements.

ConsProject Managers were mostly non-technical and didnot understand technical nuances of the product and therefore promised very unrealistic schedules to customers; Lack of focus on good quality software since eveything was contract based and the Generals making decisions in DC vetoed contract renewal without any understanding of the critical need for software maintenance.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire so many contractors - need to have critical mass of permanent employees so that IP remains within the company. This area was quite problematic with our over dependence on contractors

Great place to work.

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsChallenging and interesting work over a wide range of technologies. Good chance to move up if you can get the job done and are motivated. Good chance to get training and experience. Great 401K match and very competitive salaries.

ConsDo not work here if you do not want to work hard.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing

Best company I have ever worked for...

Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsWith great benefit, family-like atmosphere. Small enough to be less bureaucratic yet large enough to have some structure.

ConsNothing I can think of.

This company is fantastic!

ProsGreat owners who are very generous with employees. Hard work is appreciated and employees are valued. It is rare in the business world to find owners who actually mean it when they say that employees are their greatest asset.

ConsThe only thing I can think of is that we are growing so fast, we all have a lot to do. We can't hire new employees as fast as we need them.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Maintain the open door policy and communicate as much as possible with employees.

Sierra Nevada seems good on the outside but BAD ON THE INSIDE (IMS)

Aviation (Former Employee) Hagerstown, MD

ProsGood Health coverage and 401K. Thats about it.

Cons1. SNC is not a proactive company, it is a reactive company and unwilling to change.

2. SNC still adopts the good old boy theory.

3. SNC does not care about it's internal customers (employees)

4. SNC continues to employ NVA (Non Value Added) persons in many key managerial and supervisory rolls.

5. SNC is lost on what markets they want to work in.

6. SNC HR department is lacking an experienced department manager and staff.

7. SNC Tallent acquisition department needs to be replaced due to the large influx of unqualified employees they have placed in SNC-IMS to date.

8. SNC's does not have a business model and if it does they do not stick to it.

9. SNC punishes employees that speak out against the (NVA) employees especially those who are good friends with executive management and HR.

10. I do not see SNC gaining any forward progress in the aviation market by continuing to make the same mistakes program after program, but hoping for a better result each time. Hoping does not bring you in business, but making effective changes within does.

11. SNC management has a very hard time separating personnel friendships from professional ones.

12. SNC does not stand by there word when there agree to pay an individual a set amount then change their mind and offer no reason as to why other than "It is Policy"

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement just does not Listen.

Nov 14, 2013

What is personal time?

ProsWonderful benefits! No complaints there!

ConsLeadership is lacking in experience, ridiculous availability requests, still have the small business mentality.

Worked for Sierra Nevada Corporation? Contribute to the Community!