Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Reset
3.6
Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Pros
  • SNC is a good company with great benefits (in 17 reviews)

• Outstanding benefits: 401k match of 150%, very little out of pocket Medical Premium (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • No major cons - minor growing pains as an organization overall (in 15 reviews)

• Rapid growth has led to challenge of balancing agility with adequate processes and training (in 9 reviews)

Fast Paced, Ever Changing, Exciting Everyday

Current Employee - Program Manager in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation

Pros

You cannot get in a rut with SNC! If you are seeking a career that is fast paced, with evolving duties and positively shifting priorities, this is the place for you. I am surrounded by stellar performing people. The wealth and breadth of experience enhances every facet of this business. The strength of diversity is evident in the quality of product we provide to our customers.

I have cons listed, I have advice below for the management, but I strongly recommend this company to anyone seeking employment in the cyber sector. SNC is a fantastic place to work. The dedication of the employees is a direct reflection of the owners dedication to the business they have spent years growing and nurturing into the jewel that it is today. We are all a great big family of employees.

I wouldn't walk into the VPs office just to chitchat with him, but if I wanted to talk to him about something important, I know that his door is open. There is a great value placed on every employee no matter how low the position. I, for one, prize that value and feel honored to work for a company that treats all of it's employees with respect and dignity.

Cons

The hours can be long, the expectations can change day to day and there is sometimes little to no feedback from management. You can never be sure if you are performing at standards or above them. The feedback is the same. Same line of thought, you are never sure if you have rocked the boat or caused creative waves. It is very difficult to tell if things are running well, poorly or just running.

Advice to Management

Communicate to subordinates. Good, bad or on par. Let your people know how they are performing and they will rise to meet your expectations! This office is filled with Type A overachievers and pleases. We all want to have the correct answer and to provide the best product to the customer. Let us know how we are doing!

If you need job security look elsewhere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only real pro is there are some competent and cheerful employees I got to work with while I was there. Benefits are decent, not amazing. I don't know much about the larger SNC environment I only have experience with the Ncontext Herndon branch so my opinions are neutral.

Cons

There is next to no job security. You can get laid off at any time for any reason. I was laid off without a review within 4 months of being hired. The official reason was they lost funding to the contract I was hired into. To make things worse I was assured by HR in an exit interview: "Don't worry it isn't you, and we've had to do this to others in the past". This indicates they have a track record of doing this. Herndon VA is a VERY expensive place to live. If you are considering relocating your family there to take a job with Nconext/The MACE/SNC, I strongly caution against it. Your hard work will not assure your job security.

Management seems to have lost direction. They send mixed signals to employees. On the one hand they put out a call of "everyone an innovator". On the other hand R&D has become a dirty word at the company so don't expect your ideas to be heard. In an attempt to do my part to keep my end of a one year agreement I pitched several ideas. I was told that business development and managements time was "too precious" to hear me out in person and had to speak through proxy of my project manager (Portfolio Leader). In essence if they feel like its easier to just boot you with little more than a few weeks notice and almost no severance they will.

Advice to Management

The very first rules of management is know your employees, and take care of them. You are more concerned with direct charge percentages and meeting budgets than you are with people. While not a problem on paper for the company; its a serious ethical problem you will have to address for yourselves.

Stop sending mixed signals. If you want people to innovate than hear them out. At least give them the courtesy of a few minutes of face to face time. Working through proxy of team leaders shows weakness in leadership and sends the wrong message.

Finally, Senior SNC leadership might benefit by looking into how things are run in Herndon. Management openly complained about not being able to hold on to good employees who shy away from the often chaotic multi-project environment; yet they lay off the people who are willing to tackle multiple projects and adapt to new skills. Its a shaky way to run things and sends a very unflattering message to the world and perspective workforce. I would warn anyone not to take a job with the Herndon Branch.

RSS Feed </> Embed