Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

3.8

Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Pros
  • I feel fortunate to have a great benefits package in the midst of a recession (in 13 reviews)

• The pay and benefits have been Amazing (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • I would have to agree with the other reviewers about the growing pains (in 15 reviews)

• The only thing I can think of is that we are growing so fast, we all have a lot to do (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

You will be challenged here!

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

SNC provides quick response solutions to customers whose lives are on the line. Top notch engineers provide high class products in short order. The most motivated and clever engineering and management team I've ever worked with. Outstanding benefits: 401k match of 150%, very little out of pocket Medical Premium.

Cons

Rapid growth has led to challenge of balancing agility with adequate processes and training.

Process improvements at the senior level should include more subject matter expertise from those with boots on the ground every day.

Like any Gov contractor work ebbs and flows.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Healthcare and 401k benefits are pretty good, although the 401k takes 4 years of employment to vest, but that's easily achievable for most. When there are lots of programs in work there is usually something new and exciting to develop. There are usually many self development opportunities regarding air transportation and it's certification.

Cons

Managers are overtasked with business development and worrying about future contracts. Added to that program timelines and budgets are cut at the very beginning then must be strictly adhered to, even with ever changing FAA requirements. Due to this the PM's have little time to truly understand what's happening on the production floor, giving the head engineer what some might call program manager duties. Due to SNC being such quick turn there are also few checks and balances during the initial engineering phase, causing many drawing revisions and corrections once production is well under way during liaison support. This is rough on the engineers as they are forced to turn out the initial engineering as quickly as possible and often times start already well behind schedule, then to be ridiculed when more program money must be spent to iron out the details during production. Lead roles are not able to be applied to, quite often the engineering lead of the next program is chosen without consulting the person, only once the program kicks off are they told (surprise) they are to be the lead. Salary ranges for particular job titles are also not known.

Consider publishing salary ranges per job titles, which will help motivate people to move up the ladder.

Good Company

Current Employee - FSE  in  Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - FSE in Hagerstown, MD

Pros

Good pay, great 401K, great benefits

Cons

Work Schedule is a killer.

Consider more off time in the rotation.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Moral for this company is Second to none.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

Pros

Management is friendly and understanding they actually care about there people.

Cons

No matter how hard you work and excel all expectation far as performance and great work ethic don't expect any raises worth getting sad but true.

Treat your hard working employee pocket books as you treat your own. Please try not to be one sided when it come to apprasial we have earned it.

Don't be a contractor here

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent technology. Forward thinking. Good relations within the government and military.

Cons

You will be a second class citizen doing contract work and not included in mission critical meetings, scrums, and the like. You will likely not even be able to use the floor printer. If you think you can get in and prove yourself to be hired directly, NOPE. You will be spit out once your number is up - and don't don't expect your parent company to give a damn...or even tell you when you're let go - one day your badge just won't work.

Realize that many of your contractors are more skilled than your direct hires.

Company's priorities have changed in past 7 years

Former Employee - Avionics Technician  in  Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Avionics Technician in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Made alot of money, coworkers became brothers, benefits

Cons

extensive travel, management began treating employees like numbers, not people.

Remember that its the people below you who make you look good. Trust in your employees. Without them, your nothing.

A very good place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people I work with are the very best quality. We work on leading edge technology which keeps me very challenged.

Cons

The company is growing very fast, which can be scary. We can frequently feel under resourced, but that's better than the alternative.

Awesome Company Culture, salaries,benefits, perks and family athmosphere

Current Employee - Procurement Manager Space Systems Group  in  Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Procurement Manager Space Systems Group in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Perks such as every Friday off, Wednesday bagel and fruit day and Iceream Fridays. The owners are super Generous and care about every employee and this reflect down line in the management teams

Cons

The IT infracture needs to get in tune with the twenty first century

In the Sticks

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Comp, benefits, plenty of work.

Cons

Communication, and being Hagerstown, not many transplants, lots of local "small town" people. Nice, but rather unsophisticated.

Business Analyst

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Sparks, NV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible with schedules, provides employees with lunches and dinners if they have to work. Hard working employees.

Cons

Minimal sick and vacation time off for the first few years of employement. Long stressful hours to meet deadlines.

Management tends to be derogatory toward employees.

Worked for Sierra Nevada Corporation? Contribute to the Community!