Sierra Nevada Corporation

Updated November 19, 2014
3.6

Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Pros
  • Great pay, great benefits, the people are very friendly and I would reccomend to a friend (in 16 reviews)

• Outstanding benefits: 401k match of 150%, very little out of pocket Medical Premium (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I would have to agree with the other reviewers about the growing pains (in 15 reviews)

• Rapid growth has led to challenge of balancing agility with adequate processes and training (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work!

Current Employee - Manager in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Amazing 401k
    - Office location in Denver CO (probably the biggest retainer of employees here)
    - Average health benefits for the aerospace industry
    - Amazing seminars and training program
    - Great deal of responsibility put on the individual
    - Challenging, interesting work
    - Great team of engineers to work with
    - The team's "Get 'er done" attitude
    - Summer and Christmas parties that are usually really good
    - It seems the owners genuinely care about their people
    - Invests in good tools (both hardware and software) to keep the company relevant and technically competent.

Overall I've really enjoyed working here.

Cons

- Pay is somewhat below industry standards for the job being performed.
    - Raises don't "pay for performance" (pools have been hovering around 3% for the last 4 years, compared to 6-8% pools for Boeing Defense engineers in Seattlee for the last decade, for example)
    - No pay for overtime (something pretty standard in aerospace engineering)
    - No alternate work schedules (9-80, 4-10)
    - Projects bid so unpaid overtime is expected
    - Latest round of layoffs show little care for employees, HR clearly caught off guard and did a horrible job
    - HR management in Colorado flights management and engineering every step of the way.
    - Travel "JTR" rules have landed me in some seedy motels. I'm cheap, and I wouldn't have booked places I was forced into.

Definitely some things that have frustrated me to think about, but I'm still very happy here.

- Improve lines of communication from upper management to the worker bees, more all hands meetings. Even though the info can be disseminated other ways, occasionally seeing the VPs speak really helps morale.
    - If heavy overtime is expected, compensation for it should be planned.
    - Work past the "rates are too high" crutch and figure out a way to get a raise pool greater than inflation. The Boeings and other big companies have figured out how to do it, why can't we?
    - HR seems to fight lower level management on rewarding people, promotions and even hiring decisions.
    - Time to move to a more matrixed organization. Maintaining a program-centric org structure kills morale(managers have no clue what most of their people even do) and waters down great competencies the overall organization has. SNC is big enough to maintain a more matrixed structure where technical organizations within the company can benefit the overall organization.

Good Company with Benefits - with some employee issues

Current Employee - Anonymous in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

SNC is a good company with great benefits. Most of the people that work at IMS are really great people and treat each other with respect and are dedicated employee's.

Cons

IMS and Corporate have stated values and policies. Unfortunately IMS/Corp have both allowed individuals to continue to carry on inappropriate relationship while working in the same department. The individuals have made it almost unbearable to work with or around. The one individual has had MULTIPLE relationships with co-workers in the same department and continues to get promoted. It is the classic tale of 'Sleeping your way to the top". It is sad that IMS now has the sigma of being the"dating" place where marriages are destroyed. There is no VALUE in allowing this and it makes it hard for people who can come to work and maintain a professional relationship with coworkers of the opposite sex. We all work hard to get promotions.

Live by the principals and values that SNC as a company states that they have.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Airframe and Power Plant Technician in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Airframe and Power Plant Technician in Englewood, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Tremendous amount of autonomy, excellent tools and training required to perform at very high level. Great opportunities.

Cons

College degrees seem to be more important than actual talent sometimes

Great place to work for their permanent, full time employees.

Former Employee - Accounting Clerk I in Sparks, NV
    Former Employee - Accounting Clerk I in Sparks, NV

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I would like to state up front that I worked here as a contractor, not as a direct hire. I observed that they treat their permanent employees very well; the work place is very professional and morale was very high. The unit that I was assigned to was comprised of dedicated individuals who worked very well together.

Cons

As a contractor, I was given basic training in the job functions that I was required to perform, but it was hastily done. I was told this was because I was a "last minute" hire. My job requirements continued to be disorganized and undefined during my period of employment; I wasn't given clearance to all of the tools that I needed to complete my tasks. Although I understand that there is proprietary information involved and that access cannot and should not always be granted, contract employees cannot be expected to complete assignments when this access is denied to them.

Before a contract employee is brought on board, please have clear direction in place, and make sure that they will have access to all of the necessary tools so that they are able to do the actual work assigned to them.

Great place to work

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was competitive and the benefits are the best I've ever seen. Management genuinely cares about employees and there are plenty of opportunities for growth or learning. Although hours can be long, the company preaches a work/life balance and sticks to it.

Cons

As with any small company, there is little stability if the company doesn't get contracts. Don't work here if you expect lifelong job stability. If the company doesn't get a contract, you're out of luck.

Excellent atmosphere, competent coworkers.

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation

Pros

The creativity and willingness to entertain and implement ideas by the engineering and management teams are great. Benefits are second to none.

Cons

The work hours are often very long, but when you feel great about the environment you are in and the people you at working along side, the hours just breeze on by.

Management doesn't hold engineering to the required tasks at hand and doesn't push the necessary changes to keep thing going in a forward direction. Sometimes you need to crack that whip!

WORST LAYOFF EVER!!

Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer III in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits package is by far the best I have ever come across. The 401k matching is 150% up to 10% of your income!! The owners give random period bonuses to all their employees (not included in your salary). When time are good this can be a few thousand dollars 3-4 times a year.

Cons

As a full time employee I loved the company, the benefits, and the team we had. However, the chance to move up in the small company was rather low. Expect your base salary to be low when compared to larger aerospace companies in the area. If you are a contractor, expect to feel like an outsider. The contractors that were on my team were not invited to company events and in "general" treated like crap.

I felt sense of loyalty to the company, as I felt they treated me well in the beginning. I averaged 60hrs a week and loved the program I was on. However, when the company lost their NASA contract competition they dumped my peers and I like a bad habit. We received no warning, a very meager severance of one week's salary (only if we signed a paper giving our rights away), and 6 days of healthcare (they dumped us on the end of the month). There was no effort made to hire even one person somewhere else within the company. Many are discussing a class action lawsuit against this company for violation of the WARN act.

You had 130 people that would have bled for you and you dumped them in a horrible manner. I will never work for you again. ---Business is business. It wasn't what you did, it was how you did it. Poop on you.

Sierra Nevada Corporation Response

Oct 30, 2014HR

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback about Sierra Nevada Corporation.

The Space Systems Business Area was disappointed that we were not the successful bidder on the next phase of the
    ... More

Transparent Leadership/ Employee relationship, cool projects to work on

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best company I have ever worked for. Large enough to have resources, tools and structures but not too big to be bureaucratic. Dream Chaser is the coolest project in the world to work on.

Cons

I have not found anything bad for the time being

Perhaps should look into rasping up PR or getting sponsors instead of a sole customer in order to fund for the project

Disappointingly brief experience

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Full-time employees receive excellent benefits, exceeding what I have seen at any other company. Dedicated and talented workforce. I was given broad latitude to manage my own projects and determine my own fate, for the most part.

Cons

As with most rapidly growing companies, staffing was inadequate for certain phases of the Program, therefore, significant hours for most of the team, including management.
    Most projects are reliant on Government funding, which leads to (or in my case led) to uncertainty concerning job security.

Great benefits, good work, OK management/business sense, often treats people like "engineering resources".

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

Benefits are very good and the 401k is the best you will ever have.
    Bonuses are substantial and the promotion process rewards good work.
    Challenging work (aerospace sector) keeps you stimulated.
    Space group provides a fun and motivating atmosphere.

Cons

Can be very demanding with a lack of work-life balance.
    Bureaucratic feel oozes from such a large company.
    Business planning for the Space group is not great.
    Headquarters/management can treat employees like "mushrooms"...

Make it a habit to be open and honest with your employees, regardless of the current situation.
    Include manager reviews by their subordinates in yearly performance reviews.
    Please take this as constructive criticism.

Sierra Nevada Corporation Photos