Sierra Nevada Corporation

Updated December 14, 2014
3.6

Sierra Nevada Corporation Chief Executive Officer Fatih Ozmen
Fatih Ozmen

Pros
  • Great pay, great benefits, the people are very friendly and I would reccomend to a friend (in 17 reviews)

• Outstanding benefits: 401k match of 150%, very little out of pocket Medical Premium (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • I would have to agree with the other reviewers about the growing pains (in 15 reviews)

• Rapid growth has led to challenge of balancing agility with adequate processes and training (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst Employment Experience of My Life

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay was satisfactory. The 401k matching was the best I've personally ever seen.

Cons

Management staff is dishonest and far from loyal. The company itself doesn't appear to follow the values and ethics they made me take a slide show on every month. I was informed of a full time position and relocation, when in fact the company didn't even have the contract. Another company had won the contract before they even hired me, how did the project managers not find this out? They were bidding for a contract they could never have. I also was then given one weeks notice to being let go.

I would recommend they find better project leads, stop lying to new hires, and maybe consider helping an employee out if they plan to put them in a temporary position. The company provided no assistance in moving to another division within SNC, and offered no position within the division of SNC.

Good technical staff, disconnected upper mgmt

Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, good 401k, good experienced hangar supervisors

Cons

Never see sr mgmt unless it's dog and pony day or all hands message. No concept of planning has been revealed. Recently walked out the DOM for a computer violation, seemed to be one of few that understood the business/regs, Eng has never met a schedule!

IMS doesn't build drones in Haherstown, find people that understand fixed wing mods!

Generally Positive

Current Employee - Functional Manager in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Functional Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great People doing Great Things

Cons

Not as "Family Friendly" as it is touted to be.

Stop the "Bid it to Win It" process. It is killing us... Especially in todays fixed price contract environrment.

The Moral for this company is Second to none.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is friendly and understanding they actually care about there people.

Cons

No matter how hard you work and excel all expectation far as performance and great work ethic don't expect any raises worth getting sad but true.

Treat your hard working employee pocket books as you treat your own. Please try not to be one sided when it come to apprasial we have earned it.

Good Company

Current Employee - FSE in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - FSE in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great 401K, great benefits

Cons

Work Schedule is a killer.

Consider more off time in the rotation.

You will be challenged here!

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

SNC provides quick response solutions to customers whose lives are on the line. Top notch engineers provide high class products in short order. The most motivated and clever engineering and management team I've ever worked with. Outstanding benefits: 401k match of 150%, very little out of pocket Medical Premium.

Cons

Rapid growth has led to challenge of balancing agility with adequate processes and training.

Process improvements at the senior level should include more subject matter expertise from those with boots on the ground every day.

Like any Gov contractor work ebbs and flows.

Current Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare and 401k benefits are pretty good, although the 401k takes 4 years of employment to vest, but that's easily achievable for most. When there are lots of programs in work there is usually something new and exciting to develop. There are usually many self development opportunities regarding air transportation and it's certification.

Cons

Managers are overtasked with business development and worrying about future contracts. Added to that program timelines and budgets are cut at the very beginning then must be strictly adhered to, even with ever changing FAA requirements. Due to this the PM's have little time to truly understand what's happening on the production floor, giving the head engineer what some might call program manager duties. Due to SNC being such quick turn there are also few checks and balances during the initial engineering phase, causing many drawing revisions and corrections once production is well under way during liaison support. This is rough on the engineers as they are forced to turn out the initial engineering as quickly as possible and often times start already well behind schedule, then to be ridiculed when more program money must be spent to iron out the details during production. Lead roles are not able to be applied to, quite often the engineering lead of the next program is chosen without consulting the person, only once the program kicks off are they told (surprise) they are to be the lead. Salary ranges for particular job titles are also not known.

Consider publishing salary ranges per job titles, which will help motivate people to move up the ladder.

A very good place to work.

Current Employee - Software Engineer II
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the very best quality. We work on leading edge technology which keeps me very challenged.

Cons

The company is growing very fast, which can be scary. We can frequently feel under resourced, but that's better than the alternative.

Don't be a contractor here

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent technology. Forward thinking. Good relations within the government and military.

Cons

You will be a second class citizen doing contract work and not included in mission critical meetings, scrums, and the like. You will likely not even be able to use the floor printer. If you think you can get in and prove yourself to be hired directly, NOPE. You will be spit out once your number is up - and don't don't expect your parent company to give a damn...or even tell you when you're let go - one day your badge just won't work.

Realize that many of your contractors are more skilled than your direct hires.

Company's priorities have changed in past 7 years

Former Employee - Avionics Technician in Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Avionics Technician in Fort Walton Beach, FL

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Made alot of money, coworkers became brothers, benefits

Cons

extensive travel, management began treating employees like numbers, not people.

Remember that its the people below you who make you look good. Trust in your employees. Without them, your nothing.

Sierra Nevada Corporation Photos