Sierra Nevada Corporation Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
247 reviews filtered by

1. SNC is really your littlest big company out there (you'll see)

Current Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Louisville, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

You really get the feeling that the company cares about you. After only working there for 5 months my wife and I got married and we were sent a gift of orchids. They do give out bonuses which in aerospace are rare. They have social gatherings and really do encourage a good work/life balance. I do appreciate them and enjoy working there. The projects they have also are fun and innovative. 401k is amazing.

Cons

I get the feeling that it is not easy to move up in the company unless you have been around for a long time. Also, the owners are very savvy business people which is both good and bad. If a program isn't working out or is on the verge of cancellation, I don't know if they hesitate to end things and cut ties with employees.

Be more open with employees. Even if news is bad, it's better for them to be kept up to speed so they know how to react. It's just courteous.

2. Professional, hardworking with a serious mission.

Former Employee - Field Service Engineer III in Hagerstown, MD
    Former Employee - Field Service Engineer III in Hagerstown, MD

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They give you a chance to work your way up as you gain experience. Promotions are based on skill set rather than just how long you have worked for the company. It is a privately held company and you can tell the owners genuinely care about the employees.

Cons

The available jobs for my skill set required deploying to war zones for 9 out of every 12 months. That kind of pressure takes a toll on family.

Continue to stay open and honest. I felt that I could always approach someone in management and that made working there quite special.

Good technical staff, disconnected upper mgmt

Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salary, good 401k, good experienced hangar supervisors

Cons

Never see sr mgmt unless it's dog and pony day or all hands message. No concept of planning has been revealed. Recently walked out the DOM for a computer violation, seemed to be one of few that understood the business/regs, Eng has never met a schedule!

IMS doesn't build drones in Haherstown, find people that understand fixed wing mods!

Worst Employment Experience of My Life

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay was satisfactory. The 401k matching was the best I've personally ever seen.

Cons

Management staff is dishonest and far from loyal. The company itself doesn't appear to follow the values and ethics they made me take a slide show on every month. I was informed of a full time position and relocation, when in fact the company didn't even have the contract. Another company had won the contract before they even hired me, how did the project managers not find this out? They were bidding for a contract they could never have. I also was then given one weeks notice to being let go.

I would recommend they find better project leads, stop lying to new hires, and maybe consider helping an employee out if they plan to put them in a temporary position. The company provided no assistance in moving to another division within SNC, and offered no position within the division of SNC.

Generally Positive

Current Employee - Functional Manager in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - Functional Manager in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great People doing Great Things

Cons

Not as "Family Friendly" as it is touted to be.

Stop the "Bid it to Win It" process. It is killing us... Especially in todays fixed price contract environrment.

The Moral for this company is Second to none.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Poway, CA

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management is friendly and understanding they actually care about there people.

Cons

No matter how hard you work and excel all expectation far as performance and great work ethic don't expect any raises worth getting sad but true.

Treat your hard working employee pocket books as you treat your own. Please try not to be one sided when it come to apprasial we have earned it.

Good Company

Current Employee - FSE in Hagerstown, MD
    Current Employee - FSE in Hagerstown, MD

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, great 401K, great benefits

Cons

Work Schedule is a killer.

Consider more off time in the rotation.

Like any Gov contractor work ebbs and flows.

Current Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Healthcare and 401k benefits are pretty good, although the 401k takes 4 years of employment to vest, but that's easily achievable for most. When there are lots of programs in work there is usually something new and exciting to develop. There are usually many self development opportunities regarding air transportation and it's certification.

Cons

Managers are overtasked with business development and worrying about future contracts. Added to that program timelines and budgets are cut at the very beginning then must be strictly adhered to, even with ever changing FAA requirements. Due to this the PM's have little time to truly understand what's happening on the production floor, giving the head engineer what some might call program manager duties. Due to SNC being such quick turn there are also few checks and balances during the initial engineering phase, causing many drawing revisions and corrections once production is well under way during liaison support. This is rough on the engineers as they are forced to turn out the initial engineering as quickly as possible and often times start already well behind schedule, then to be ridiculed when more program money must be spent to iron out the details during production. Lead roles are not able to be applied to, quite often the engineering lead of the next program is chosen without consulting the person, only once the program kicks off are they told (surprise) they are to be the lead. Salary ranges for particular job titles are also not known.

Consider publishing salary ranges per job titles, which will help motivate people to move up the ladder.

10. You will be challenged here!

I have been working at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time

Pros

SNC provides quick response solutions to customers whose lives are on the line. Top notch engineers provide high class products in short order. The most motivated and clever engineering and management team I've ever worked with. Outstanding benefits: 401k match of 150%, very little out of pocket Medical Premium.

Cons

Rapid growth has led to challenge of balancing agility with adequate processes and training.

Process improvements at the senior level should include more subject matter expertise from those with boots on the ground every day.

Don't be a contractor here

I worked at Sierra Nevada Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent technology. Forward thinking. Good relations within the government and military.

Cons

You will be a second class citizen doing contract work and not included in mission critical meetings, scrums, and the like. You will likely not even be able to use the floor printer. If you think you can get in and prove yourself to be hired directly, NOPE. You will be spit out once your number is up - and don't don't expect your parent company to give a damn...or even tell you when you're let go - one day your badge just won't work.

Realize that many of your contractors are more skilled than your direct hires.

Sierra Nevada Corporation Photos