Sierra Pacific Industries Reviews

3.8
Red Emmerson

1. Sp

I have been working at Sierra Pacific Industries

Pros

Good benefits job security always something to do

Cons

Long hours, have been on nights since I started they don't switch people so if you get hired and you start nights you will stay on nights for a very long time

Advice to Management

Switch people on shift after a couple months let night shift people get a turn to have a life with their family

2. Awesome & Frustrating

Current Employee - Lumber Mill in Sonora, CA
    Current Employee - Lumber Mill in Sonora, CA

I have been working at Sierra Pacific Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, 401k. Started from bottom, working to the top. Great hours, and job security. Enjoy working with other co-workers and some management is pretty cool. Very strict and rightfully so safety rules! Red and George are 2 very amazing men and have bestowed their love of the environment and their employees, if you are a dedicated worker this is the job for you

Cons

Hard long hours, hot in summer, freezing in winter. Health insurance has some flaws. Supervisor from another area isn't doing his job, so other people are getting blamed...

Advice to Management

You change management to much! You find the worse supervisors. Why don't you find a supervisor that will get along with your workers? We employees work as a team and the supervisors end up with a chip on their shoulder. New supervisor came in wrote up multiple people in one day because he was having a bad day. Listen to your dedicated employees, listen to their concerns. Not some dumb supervisor that just transferred. Oh and if you have a job open up and an employee puts in for it, you should always take the one with SENORITY not the one who kisses butt!!! That was a cold hard move! LISTEN TO YOUR EMPLOYEES, maybe once a month meet with your employees and find out what needs to be fixed or addressed.

3. Poor Life/Work ratio.

Former Employee - Sawmill Supervisor in Lincoln, CA
    Former Employee - Sawmill Supervisor in Lincoln, CA

I worked at Sierra Pacific Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. An opportunity to start at the bottom and work your way up.

Cons

10+ hours/day for hourly. 12+ for salary. If you're salary, you're working 6 days a week. Every division is way different. One division will have a strict safety policy, the other will not.

Advice to Management

Make all the divisions the same. It's confusing for people who transfer from a place where the rules are strictly followed, to go to a place where every rule is violated. Red and George are extremely intelligent, it's just a shame some of the managers do not value the same goals as them.

5. Very stable and financially secure company to work for.

Former Employee - Territory Manager
    Former Employee - Territory Manager

I worked at Sierra Pacific Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company was founded with great principles and values. They are dedicated to keep a strong presence in the wood products industry. I would recommend Sierra Pacific based on these pros.

Cons

Even with my commitment to (excessive) 12-14 hour days, it was difficult to advance both professionally and financially. My base pay didn't change for 12 years. I would not recommend Sierra Pacific based on these cons.

Advice to Management

Don't forget it is individual people that make an organization.

6. Management cares

I worked at Sierra Pacific Industries

Pros

Upper Mngt cares about employees and tries to get lower mngt to as well.

Cons

nothing comes to mind that is worth mentioning

7. Bi polar

Current Employee - Research in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Research in Redding, CA

I have been working at Sierra Pacific Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On the good days it was great. Coworkers would treat me nice. Working outside was amazing.

Cons

Boss was a nut. She would send an email out riddled with typos and harras you for not capitalizing the d in December. Cowers were horrible one day tollerable the next. If one expressed an idea of any sort one would be told that they are "changing everything" and that they need to know their place.

Advice to Management

Be more involved in the work that is going on. The word team needs to be taken more seriously.

8. Awesome to work for

Current Employee - Log Truck Driver in Lincoln, CA
    Current Employee - Log Truck Driver in Lincoln, CA

I have been working at Sierra Pacific Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company finds work for you if they can even if the season is over. Excellent team. They contribute greatly to the community too

Cons

Long hours but worth it

Advice to Management

None, excellent.

9. Hard place to work, but decent pay

Former Employee - Glass Cutter in Red Bluff, CA
    Former Employee - Glass Cutter in Red Bluff, CA

I worked at Sierra Pacific Industries

Pros

Great location, if you love small towns. Close to National Parks, not too far from the coast (3 hrs or so) and close to skiing. Decent pay for what you're doing, management is fair and easy to approach.

Cons

Tough work, hot in the summer, cold in the winter. Hard to get a day off. People you work with are crude. About 60% mexican nationals work there, can be a downside if you're not mexican or enjoy being talked about it spanish. Don't be late either, a bell goes off when your shift starts and you'd better be there or you'll get written up.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible with time off

10. Great while it lasted.

I worked at Sierra Pacific Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of work when the demand is high, there is demand out there however the competition is intense. The atmosphere can be upbeat at times, generally during the holidays.

Cons

Lack of work during economic downturn. This happens frequently in the wood products industry, yearly I would say. We see this every year, perhaps if we became pro active when tough times come around.

Advice to Management

Keep people informed and do not sugar coat the bad news

RSS Feed </> Embed