Sierra Pacific Power

Basic

Current Employee - Intern-Graduate in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Intern-Graduate in Reno, NV

I have been working at Sierra Pacific Power

Pros

Very good pay and laid back environment.

Cons

Political issues have a large role in the company

The need to recognize the hard effort their employees put into their work

??

Current Employee - Engineer in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Engineer in Reno, NV

I have been working at Sierra Pacific Power

Pros

Good people, good benefits, flexible schedule. For the most part, Sierra Pacific is a very good employer. I enjoy working with most of my colleagues, of course there are always those few who are very difiicult to work with though. The benefits when I first started were excellent....top notch. However, with recent changes, the benefits are about average for an employer this size. My work schedule is pretty flexible. I can choose from either a standard, 5 day/eight hour work week, four tens, or a "compressed" schedule of nine nines (eight nine hour days and one eight hour day with every other Friday off). Also, my supervisor allows me to take time off when needed with little to no notice, so long as the work is being completed.

Cons

Poor system for promoting employees and/or getting raises. Very poor communication from upper management. Goals that appear to conflict with one another, or are poorly communicated. Employee reviews are worthless. A popular saying regarding reviews: "The difference between a mediocre employee and one who is top notch is 1%."
    The benefits used to be much better, esp. the retirement package. The new package doesn't even come close to comparing with the old package. While I understand the reasons for upper management making the switch, the roll-out of the new package was very poor. Also, the new package should have been more comparable to the old, at least for present employees (esp. those with higher tenure).

First, learn how to communicate better. The introduction of the new retirement package was very poor and seemed to be sneaky and underhanded. Many employees lost respect, trust and faith in upper management because of this.
    Next is to change the employee review system. The current system does not distinguish between those who perform and those that merely keep a seat warm.

The company does not appreciate their loyal employees.

I worked at Sierra Pacific Power

Pros

They have the industry monopolized in the state they are serving.

Cons

Higher management are only interested in keeping their salaries and positions.