Sierra Systems

3.1

Cal Yonker

Great place to work

I worked at Sierra Systems

Pros

Good clients, good technologies to work on. Mid level consulting company with good work/life ballance.

Cons

Nothing really negative to add.

Good Company but depends on branch manager

I worked at Sierra Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to large clients and systems

Cons

If you're unlucky enough to get a poor manager, you have no recourse.

Sierra Systems Response

Jan 23, 2015HR Generalist

We appreciate your leadership team feedback. If an individual is struggling with a manager or has concerns about the senior leadership we encourage them to contact their Career Advisor, Resource ... More

Solid, growing company with great potential

I have been working at Sierra Systems full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It has been my experience that management is fully engaged in employee and client interactions. Good leadership; management teams work hard to balance employee wants with company needs. The aggregate technical knowledge is exceptional; some of the best people in our industry work for Sierra.

Cons

There is a culture gap between the US and Canada. Both Canadian and American employees would do well to recognize this and make an effort to cross it, rather than being frustrated that it exists. Together we could go far; but the resistance to change among the employee base is strong.

Be open to new ways off accomplishing goals; the culture difference should be a way for both groups to learn and grow.

Business Consulant

I worked at Sierra Systems

Pros

Nothing really go special to offer the clients

Cons

Becoming a bodyshop - no real value to clients

disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirkland, WA

I worked at Sierra Systems

Pros

solid benefits
    good work life balance

Cons

getting laid off immediately upon return from STD. Very discouraging. No compassion.

consider your employees when drafting your RIF list. One day it will be your turn. Hopefully you will be physically able to interview without any notice.
    At least dont lay off the last day of the month. COBRA cannot kick in fast enough for those of us who are seeing doctors weekly...

Great company that treats employees like family, seriously lacks growth path for employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sierra Systems

Pros

Great benefits, salary in par with industry, non demanding career, nice work life balance, great co workers and decent challenging engagements available.

Cons

Not a great career path available for aggressive growth, less employee development in terms of leadership or technology,not a lot of choices to work

provide multiple career choices to employees.

Good place to work for as a consultant - very qualified technical expertise

Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Sierra Systems

Pros

Good benefits, very solid reputation in the industry, some really interesting projects you can work on. Good corporate culture but limited growth opportunities in technical areas

Cons

really no downsides - besides the limited growth opportunities ... and of course the road warrior life style that comes with being a consultant. But that's just the nature of the job really ... and some positions can adapt towards limited travel

Keep growing with the individuals in mind

Very client-focused consulting firm

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sierra Systems

Pros

Unlike many consulting firms that seem to be purely driven by project margins, Sierra Systems if very focused on client value. Unless you're interested, you'd never find out how well (or not) the company or your project is doing, because the emphasis on the projects at hand. The consultants are mostly good, and many have there been for a long time. There is not much internal competition.

Cons

The company has some very long-term client and long projects, which means that you could find yourself working on the same project for a much longer time than anticipated. You are responsible to built your own career and management won't push you much to grow so it's up to you. The company is actually Canadian and sometimes seems to be a little too much so, afraid to be aggressive.

The company is still a "best kept secret" to the outside world, especially in the US. The focus on public sector clients worked well in the past but may not work so well in the recession.

Great reputation in public sector !!!

Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sierra Systems

Pros

Very friendly corporate hierarchy and corporate culture, You will be able to work on very different projects using a large scope technologies. This is the place where you can grow into a managerial position and be happy with it, a lot of traveling is usually required - but this can be worked around individual preferences. I found myself in a position where a very strong and competent technical mentorship was in place.

Cons

If you don't like to be a road-warrior - not a place for you...

More private sector attention !!!

Rewarding Growth & Development Experiences

Current Employee - Full - Time Employees in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Full - Time Employees in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sierra Systems full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people at Sierra Systems make the difference, and the more inquisitive someone is, the more engaged they can become. I've been learning and growing for years, and have had the opportunity to work with all kinds of employees in different departments on new projects and initiatives. Opportunities and challenges are available, and Leaders are accessible. Just start asking questions and talking.

Cons

Take some time to learn the history of the company and get networked with like minded individuals. It doesn't always come easy, but invest some time. Tough decisions are never easy to hear, but different opinions are welcome. Put in the effort to seek out folks who have a balanced perspective because in the middle of sunny optimism and chronic pessimism there's reality.

Keep doing what you are doing, good things are happening, ... but maybe it would be better to see more Leaders more often. You can never get enough face time. Just keep making the time.