Sierra Systems

Add Photos

Cal Yonker

Business Consulant

I worked at Sierra Systems

ProsNothing really go special to offer the clients

ConsBecoming a bodyshop - no real value to clients

disappointing

Kirkland, WA

Prossolid benefits
good work life balance

Consgetting laid off immediately upon return from STD. Very discouraging. No compassion.

Advice to Senior Managementconsider your employees when drafting your RIF list. One day it will be your turn. Hopefully you will be physically able to interview without any notice.
At least dont lay off the last day of the month. COBRA cannot kick in fast enough for those of us who are seeing doctors weekly...

Great company that treats employees like family, seriously lacks growth path for employees

I worked at Sierra Systems

ProsGreat benefits, salary in par with industry, non demanding career, nice work life balance, great co workers and decent challenging engagements available.

ConsNot a great career path available for aggressive growth, less employee development in terms of leadership or technology,not a lot of choices to work

Advice to Senior Managementprovide multiple career choices to employees.

Good place to work for as a consultant - very qualified technical expertise

Consultant (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at Sierra Systems

ProsGood benefits, very solid reputation in the industry, some really interesting projects you can work on. Good corporate culture but limited growth opportunities in technical areas

Consreally no downsides - besides the limited growth opportunities ... and of course the road warrior life style that comes with being a consultant. But that's just the nature of the job really ... and some positions can adapt towards limited travel

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep growing with the individuals in mind

Very client-focused consulting firm

I have been working at Sierra Systems

ProsUnlike many consulting firms that seem to be purely driven by project margins, Sierra Systems if very focused on client value. Unless you're interested, you'd never find out how well (or not) the company or your project is doing, because the emphasis on the projects at hand. The consultants are mostly good, and many have there been for a long time. There is not much internal competition.

ConsThe company has some very long-term client and long projects, which means that you could find yourself working on the same project for a much longer time than anticipated. You are responsible to built your own career and management won't push you much to grow so it's up to you. The company is actually Canadian and sometimes seems to be a little too much so, afraid to be aggressive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is still a "best kept secret" to the outside world, especially in the US. The focus on public sector clients worked well in the past but may not work so well in the recession.

Great reputation in public sector !!!

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sierra Systems

ProsVery friendly corporate hierarchy and corporate culture, You will be able to work on very different projects using a large scope technologies. This is the place where you can grow into a managerial position and be happy with it, a lot of traveling is usually required - but this can be worked around individual preferences. I found myself in a position where a very strong and competent technical mentorship was in place.

ConsIf you don't like to be a road-warrior - not a place for you...

Advice to Senior ManagementMore private sector attention !!!

Top heavy, poorly managed, don't truly value their greatest assets

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sierra Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsConsultants and middle management are generally skilled and caring individuals with a genuine desire to do well and do the right thing by our customers, for the prosperity of our business and for our people. There are lots of opportunities to advance if you are willing to put in lots of extracurricular effort and learn new skills on your own time.

ConsUpper management talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. All decisions in the company are made with one objective in mind: to ensure the private capital company that owns Sierra can take the most money possible from the proceeds of our operations. There is no long term business plan and no vision for maintaining the companies only assets - which in a professional services firm like ours is simply the people working for it. Paid training is hard to come by. Salary increases are hard to come by. Benefits are constantly being reduced or taken away altogether over the past 5 years. Turnover is high, loyalty and employee engagement is low. The company has been in a constant state of re(dis) organization for the past 7 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut an end to the chaos of constant reorganization of the business units and companies, the employees are weary of this. Invest your most valuable assets - your people - they need their salaries to keep pace with the cost of living increases they live with on a daily basis and training and upgrading of their skills is simply good for business any way you look at it. Consider the ridiculously large number of vice presidents that exist in this organization given it's size.

Work/life balance encouraged!

I worked at Sierra Systems full-time

ProsFriendly staff, work/life balance is encouraged, team driven and there is always an incredible show of support for staff experiencing a trying time.

ConsNot much room for growth within the company.

Used to be the best place to work for. Lots of exciting projects.

Senior Software Consultant (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I worked at Sierra Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsProfit sharing.
Career opportunities.
Exposures to various projects.

ConsApparently all those pros are now all gone.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the people that are the faces of your company.

Pretend to be a sheep when really they are the wolf

I have been working at Sierra Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Prosnot many to highlight unfortunately

ConsUpper management is not trust worthy at all. They will stab you in the back the first chance they get!

Advice to Senior Managementget some better managers!

Worked for Sierra Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sierra Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sierra Systems CEO Cal Yonker . All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Sierra Systems employees.