Sightpath Medical

Updated November 26, 2014
Updated November 26, 2014
2.9

Jim Tiffany

A great company to work for - The best job I've had so far!

I have been working at Sightpath Medical full-time

Pros

Company culture and ability to make a difference. We have great employees that work hard and do a great job. It's a team environment and we have fun while we work. Love the people that I work with.

Cons

Communication challenges. We work hard to keep up the communication between the corporate office and field employees located in multiple states. Wish we could see people face to face more often.

previous positive reviews written internally...

I worked at Sightpath Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

working with professional surgeon and OR community

Cons

lack of balance and flexibility on behalf of middle management

add additional team members to curb stress level on existing

Small company that tries to be a big corporation

I have been working at Sightpath Medical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people, flexibility, a unique service it provides to surgeons and patients. You won't ever be bored in a position here.

Cons

You never have the correct tools you need to do your job efficiently. The work to people ratio is overwhelming, nothing is done to change it. A lot of burnt out employees, meaning a lot of turnover and then it's a domino effect on everyone else.

work-life balance, 401K company contributions, guidance to grow in the field, figure out a way to deal with turnover

Surgical technologist

Former Employee - Surgical Technician
    Former Employee - Surgical Technician

I worked at Sightpath Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work from home.company vehicle.pay for meals and hotels,which is good considering your a road warrior

Cons

schedule constantly changes.may be in 1 hospital 1 day and 400 miles the next. Hard to get time off. no advancement opportunities. Tough on family life

managers should be in the field so they realize the expectations they put on technicians.

A Company on the Move with an Improving Culture and a Positive Outlook!

I have been working at Sightpath Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sightpath Medical is a service company with a rich history and great prospects for the future. If you like to work independently, have an opportunity to have your ideas explored and be part of a company that is moving in the right direction, Sightpath Medical is a good fit for you. All of Senior Management is approachable and available.

Cons

Sightpath is an entrepreneurial, service based organization. As such, independent thinking and action are rewarded and recognized (If you like those things, you may wonder why this is a "con."). That can translate into a perceived lack of training and direction for people who require a litte more "help" to get started in their jobs. This is getting better.

Sightpath Medical was dragged through the bankruptcy process as a division of a larger company in late 2009 and early 2010. Sometimes the hangover from that process still lingers. It shows-up in the attitudes of some people and a hesitancy to invest in any technology other than surgical equipment (Which, it has always done a really good job of).

Keep on:
    ~ Being accessible.
    ~ Thinking.
    ~ Asking questions.
    ~ Being accountable.
    ~ Building people.
    ~ Taking appropriate risks.
    ~ Having fun and loving what you do

Stuck In Reverse

Current Employee - Strategic Market Manager
    Current Employee - Strategic Market Manager

I have been working at Sightpath Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working remotely is nice, travelling has it's benefits, and working in the healthcare field is a definite plus because I enjoy building relationships with doctors. The annual trip is a perk.

Cons

This company is not formalized to the point where you can step in and have success. You are esentially set up for failure. The technology is very dated, the product is not relevant in the market, and you are not given the training or resources to meet sales incentives. I have found inner-company conferences to be beyond unprofessional. Management does not have a feasible business plan for the future.

Invest in your technology, embrace new ideas, and create a collaborative culture.

Great culture - I love my job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Sightpath Medical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Respect for work life balance, opportunities for advancement for those who work hard, my contributions are recognized by my boss and I in turn feel appreciated, so many smart people that like what they are doing and are happy to be there - it's contagious!

Cons

I am always busy and always challenged. A lot is expected of employees.
    Employees are held accountable - to some that's a con, but for the most part, the people that work here seem to thrive on it.

Continue to recognize employees when they do good work - it goes a long way!

Ticket To A Bad Career

Current Employee - Marketing in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Sightpath Medical full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get in trouble for asking for work or offering to step in and help on projects - I list this as a pro because if you are looking to sit around, be lazy, ask no questions and take your career straight to nowhere then this may actually be the best spot for you.

Cons

They are unprepared when bringing in new employees - expect no less than a month before your workstation is even remotely ready. The job description they advertise and interview you for will not be the job you are actually given. Instead of departments the company has something similar to high school cliques. New employees are looked down on by management and executives. Theft runs ramped as well - from missing Diet Cokes to disappearing iPods. The environment is demeaning, disorganized and drab.

Advertise jobs that actually exist within the company. Teach executives to treat employees as humans. Create an uplifting environment that would make someone want to stick around.

Underpaid, under-communicated.

I have been working at Sightpath Medical

Pros

Summer hours: 8 half-Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day (including the Fridays on those weekends)...(used to be EVERY Friday, but at least it's something).

Very flexible with taking vacation in most cases.

Cons

Communication between departments sucks, plain and simple.

Sales Team can do no wrong; throws the other departments under the bus whenever a customer complains.

Reign in your Sales Team...and communicate, communicate, communicate!!!!

Awesome Environment and Work Balance

I have been working at Sightpath Medical (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people that work here are amazing. The support you get to be good at your job is wonderful. You can go as far as you can push yourself at this company. A great place to do things right, you just need to put in the effort and have a good attitude. Hard work is recognized and rewarded. Great place to have a family and not be married to your job. Pays competitively and benefits are decent. Summer hours are really nice.

Cons

The company was hit hard by the economic down turn and is on its way back up. Senior management has been working hard to turn the company around. As a result, they have a disconnect with employees because of the all their attention going to profits and pleasing the owners. No 401k match. There’s a slight silo feeling between departments, but it’s not a big con.

Keep up the great job in turning the company around. Need to be better at employee relations. Be more consistent with holding employees accountable.

Sightpath Medical Photos