Sigma-Aldrich

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sigma-Aldrich President, CEO, and Director Rakesh Sachdev

Rakesh Sachdev

Pros:
  • "good work-life balance, 45-50 hours/week OK, no work on evenings/week-end"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Great people doing the best with limited resources"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "The biggest con is the opportunities for advancement"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Not much support regarding career advancement"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

quality control analyst in QC lab

QC Analyst (Current Employee)
    Sheboygan Falls, WI

ProsVarious duties that made day go fast.

ConsOverall coworkers seemed unhappy about the work load and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize the physical nature of the job and how hard everyone is working.

A small family-owned company transitioning to a site operated by a remote large corporation.

Cleveland, OH

ProsResearch Organics has a customer-driven and high-quality reputation. Good, multi-talented individuals led to ISO 9002 certification and cGMP practices.

ConsTransitioning quickly to a larger corporation's priciples with limited resources to implemet those changes is their current challenge.

Sigma-Aldrich Employees Make the Company

Saint Louis, MO

ProsI've made alot of friends and have learned alot. SAP systems are top line.

ConsHardly a cost of living increase for the past few years is really hurting employees. Benefits are shrinking with greater medical cost pushed on the employee. Management has been threatening layoffs or job relocation as the means to gain productivity.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you've lost touch with your employees and you are going to pay for this as the market opens up.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

RNAi Research Associate I

Associate Scientist (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsWorked with people that had enthusiastic and positive outlooks on their work. Atmosphere is ideal for promoting cooperation and cultivating a strong work ethic.

ConsWorked there as a contractor and was laid off due to a budget cut with no notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake contracts more stable or (especially) hire new employees directly. Now I have several years' worth of experience with competitors and would never consider a contract job again which severely reduces your chances of working with me and others like me again.

Slow Stable Growth

Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat place for new graduates to learn. Your experience definitely depends on your manager and the group you are in. The 401K match is one of the best I have encountered. Very laid back atmosphere and they push for slow stable growth. This will be reflected in your everyday activities as well as your career progression. Some of the best mentors and team players are at Sigma and this allows for growth and opportunity with such a large company.

ConsLower than average pay with respect to the industry. Vacation time is initially 2 weeks, ask for 3 when you are hired. It is a necessity to be a self-starter and self-advocate in order to push your career to the next level. Management doesn't help you with this unless you speak up.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetain your good employees by increasing salary and promoting them when they have earned it. It looks bad when offices are redecorated, upper management salaries increase enormously and employees are getting a 1-3% raise or being laid off.

Good atmosphere, low pay

Saint Louis, MO

ProsOverall good work environment, employees are generally treated well, people are friendly. The business has grown consistently over a long period of time; the company has been very stable.

ConsCompensation is not very competitive, at least for some areas of the company. As business people have replaced scientists in the upper management roles, it's not completely clear that upper management really understands all parts of the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your good employees, not just those in the C-suite. For the management people that have come from other industries, try to really learn and understand the intricacies of our industry.

Positive experience with a solid company

Chemist (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsEmployees here are second to none. Positions entail the wearing of many "hats"; learn large amounts of different responsibilities that are very marketable. New CEO seems to have a plan for driving company into the future.

ConsIncredibly slow promotion rate with limited opportunities. Pay is below average. Work comes in waves with large amounts of down time. Benefits need to be improved. Management is still stuck in the past and unwilling to move forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementDrive the company forward with continued change for the better. Stop being stingy and stuck in the past.

A work in progress

ProsGreat people doing the best with limited resources

Consbottom line is stressed to much at site, At times unreal growth expectations with limited amount of assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow the business you are acquiring, one size does not always fit all, look at what each division is doing well and build on it in order to grow each sites business and keep talent.

Positive, I really liked my boss, people I worked with

R&D Scientist (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsMy first boss was excellent. People were friendly. HR was nice.

ConsManagement were out of touch and would do what they want regardless of the employees's feedback and opinion. If you do well. they take the credit for and if you do what they asks you to do and it doesn't work, you get blamed for.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to just protect yourselves. Be realistic and set goals early on. Reward good work. Be positive and encouraging.

Solid performing company with a multitude of opportunities for growth.

ProsSigma has competitive pay and since it is such a large organization their is room for movement.

ConsThe vacation package is mediocre at best and tenure seems to count for a lot more than performance when it comes to reviews.

Worked for Sigma-Aldrich? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sigma-Aldrich reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sigma-Aldrich CEO Rakesh Sachdev. All 152 reviews posted anonymously by Sigma-Aldrich employees.