Sigma-Aldrich

Updated September 13, 2014
2.7

Sigma-Aldrich President, CEO, and Director Rakesh Sachdev
Rakesh Sachdev

Pros
  • Excellent staff and management, good work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Great people doing the best with limited resources (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest con is the opportunities for advancement (in 4 reviews)

• Not much support regarding career advancement (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, upper management doesn't value employees

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for more than a year

Pros

nice people, good planning processes relaxed work environment

Cons

promises of advancement not kept

Outsource, Outsource Outsource,

Compensation is low,
    Value of current employees,
    Would rather hire 4 outsource with the wrong skills rather that hire skilled workers at market price domestically

nurture in-house talent and stop the push to outsource if you want a maintainable & scalable applications

Overworked & Overwhelmed. Never enough hours in a day.

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very financially stable, benefits are good with a 401k match and good health insurance.

Cons

work-life balance is difficult to maintain as the company prefers you to work 11 to 15 hours a day & weekends if necessary to meet business needs.

There is a strong sense, whether you see it or not, that the employees truly do not feel valued. There are extreme inequities in bonus among upper management only when you need non-supervisory staff to work continuous long hours at every location to meet business needs. Profits are more important than people.

Good Company, although low salary

Former Employee - Senior CHEMIST
    Former Employee - Senior CHEMIST

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very structured, is well-known, and can give you lots of experience

Cons

Don't always give credit for work done. Sometimes inflexible, and unnecessarily.

Be a bit more flexible on personal leave. If a salaried employee works a lot of unpaid overtime, and they are out of vacation time but has a family issue that needs to be addressed, you should have the capability of either letting them make up the time, or taking the day off without pay (requested once during 6 years of employment, but was denied. It was one of the main reasons I left).

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I appreciate my years of experience, education, and the great work environment that I had working a Sigma Aldrich.

Former Employee - Distribution Associate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Distribution Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The health benefits, 401K, tuition reimbursement, flex-time and the friendly work environment made going to work a lot easier.

Cons

I did not have any complaints during my 13 years of employment with Sigma. My department moving to Milwaukee and getting laid off was my only issue.

Things have changed and the changes they put in place make it worse.

Current Employee - Product Specialist  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Knowledgeable Colleagues
    Well respected company
    Good tools available if you know how to use them

Cons

No training
    No Support
    Smoke and Mirrors leadership
    Very Poor Work Life Balance
    Progression is something not possible at corp level.
    Your best is never good enough.

Talk with the little people about improvements while you can, before you cut their jobs and send it off to India. You treat people horribly. Fail an employee survey, and then conduct a new survey with questions pointed towards positive outcomes no matter what. You as a company have lost who you are. Jai was so proud to have never had a layoff. As soon as his legacy wore off, Rakesh started cutting people left and right.

Nice company to gain experience

Current Employee - Chemist II  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Chemist II in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good place to gain experience for future career. Benefits are average for the industry standard. Coworkers are all very pleasant to work with.

Cons

The management is more concerned about staying under budgets than investing in proper equipment and resources to perform the job at hand. They are slow to promote unless you are actively applying for new positions. Communication between departments is poor.

Try to find ways to retain the good employes and remove the bad ones. Promote based on competence rather than years of service.

Big corporation, still committed to its mission

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of opportunities to get experience in any facet of the business you would like exposure to. There are lots of bright, engaging people who work here.

Cons

With the size of the company comes the lack of communication across any global company of similar size. Many projects are slow moving because of the risk aversion of the company. It's unfortunate, but it is understandable so as long as your expectations aren't of a fast-moving entrepreneurial workplace, then it will be less frustrating.

Well known company with many talented employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Stable company, knowledgeable employees, supervisors/ managers are very flexible with the employees.

Cons

Pay is less than the industry average. It takes a long time to get approval for a promotion.

Employees are being less appreciated with every year. Little things are being taken away with each year.
    If someone leaves the company very often they don't get replaced and the work just spreads to the rest of the group. Of course without compensation.

College grad temps, think twice..

Former Employee - Packaging Operator  in  Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Packaging Operator in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Steady work, OT usually available (sometimes mandatory, which could be a pro or con depending on the person)
    -Safe work environment in packaging
    -Very focused on process accuracy and process improvement
    -Organized and efficient department for the most part
    -Kelly Scientific Temp Service a good way to get experience working for a large corporation right out of college
    -Supervisors recognize the temps that are eager to prove themself and advance
    -Successful company, will continue to be
    -The opportunity for advancement is definitely talked about, but always seems to be postponed or down the road
    -Some of the people working there were unbelievably kind and supportive, but trust me, it took months of silence and avoiding me for them to warm up
    -Temps get paid every friday

Cons

-So unbelievably boring/tedious
    -The music in the packaging department runs off of a cheap satellite radio station that plays the same 100 or so songs, over, and over, and over, and over every single day, week after week.
    -Hard to get to know anybody/network, because you are stuck in a room 8 hours a day weighing chemicals
    -So much gossip, I always told people I felt like I worked in a high school girls bathroom
    -Company almost always in a "hiring freeze" or finding reasons/issues/excuses related to budget as to why you are not getting hired on or promoted
    -Nothing happens fast
    -Temps get no benefits, no PTO, no retirement, just a better than min. wage job to attract the college grads
    -Very obvious division between temps and contract employees
    -Supervisors are extremely two-faced, unreliable, and very unprofessional
    -Advancement pretty much based on how many years you have put in or who you know
    -Everyone, managers, temps, busniness people, scientists, the entire company.. every single person looks absolutely miserable all the time
    -They seek out college grads with scientific degrees, to weigh substances that usually are nothing more than a bottle with a bar code
    -My supervisor literally counted down the minutes to his retirement, what a great motivator for a guy fresh out of college trying to find a career path..
    -Constant threat of department shifting, never once felt secure in my position
    -The only skill you will develop from this job will be how to weigh exact amounts of thousands of different kinds of chemicals/compounds, that's it

-Learn how to communicate with each other, your employees, and your superiors.
    -Stop making promises you can't keep
    -For some of the way higher ups: for the love of God, retire already
    -When you have an employee in your office, keep it professional and leave your personal problems to yourself

Promotion does not require job skill

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich

Pros

Job is not stressful unless you want to take on more. Good products, distribution network, and strategic partnership/acquisitons. I would buy/hold the stock any day.

Cons

Hard work will not get you a promotion. Management cares bottom-line, stock price, Sales/marketing. Nothing wrong, except they don't want to hear anyone except the chosen few who again are periodically fired as their salaries/benefits rise.

Worked for Sigma-Aldrich? Contribute to the Community!