Sigma-Aldrich

Updated November 11, 2014
2.8

Sigma-Aldrich President, CEO, and Director Rakesh Sachdev
Rakesh Sachdev

Pros
  • Work-life balance is pretty much what you want to make it (in 13 reviews)

• Great people doing the best with limited resources (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunities for advancement at remote sites (in 4 reviews)

• Not much support regarding career advancement (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company with many opportunities

Current Employee - Chemist I in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a fairly laid back environment depending on what group you work for, and the overall atmosphere of the company is positive.

Cons

Sometimes communication between areas is a little unorganized, and there is a lot of equipment that needs to be fixed but you will find that in any large company.

SA Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Working at Sigma-Aldrich has given the opportunity to not only enhance technical abilities, but to lead. I’ve learned how to work with global teams and processes that have allowed me to develop a well-rounded view of our global market place. My initial position at Sigma-Aldrich was limited and now I have the ability to manage projects and staff resources. This has allowed me to truly explore my full potential.

Cons

Long hours and hard projects - Sigma-Aldrich gives you the opportunity to learn about every position within the company. They encourage you to work with cross-functional teams and learn as much as you can about your various areas of interest. Sigma-Aldrich gives the opportunity to excel in many different fields. Knowing that the work you performed on a project helps a customer enhance their manufacturing process thereby allowing them to produce their active pharmaceutical ingredients more robustly is very satisfying.

Grow revenue.

Quality Dept: great co-workers, as well as decent benefits; overall a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Chemist I in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Freedom to manage your assignments. They are involved with great philanthropy within the area. Involved with innovation technology within the pharmaceutical industry.

Cons

Although everyday may be different, the tasks can be repetitive. Often I am overwhelmed with deadlines and projects that I may involved in.

Go away with process improvement as a way for promotion.

I started in Customer Serice and moved through 6 positions in over 10 years.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay rate comparable to other companies in this industy.

Cons

Sigma-Aldrich is moving many of it's departments to India. This is a company that once prided itself on no lay offs, but is now providing separation packages to most of their headquarters in St Louis, MO.

Every department has their own interpretation of the rules. The "One Company" environment is not promoted and adhered to as advertised.

Great place to start a career, horrible place to move up in your career

Former Employee - R&D Scientist
    Former Employee - R&D Scientist

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance
    Great coworkers
    Stable job

Cons

At lower level positions, good chance of moving up (though longer than typical biotech). At higher level positions, nearly impossible.
    No bonus (except for management). During the 2008-09 recession, people were fortunate to keep their jobs. However, within one week, company said no one would get raises while hypocritically talking about how company achieved record $2 billion sales. Also seemed to fine money during that time for $250k+ enhancement to the building and bonuses for management.
    Raises outpaced or matched by inflation for ~6 years.

Set up a structured mechanism for people to achieve promotions. It is so arbitrarily decided (governed more by favoritism than merit).
    Take 10 minutes of your week and step in a lab to better understand how hard employees work. You have time to go spend $100's on a dinner with a customer but can't spare a few minutes to get to know your own employees.
    If more than half of a group has gone to HR about a specific manager, fire that person or accept that your employees will never take you seriously.

Interesting experience

Former Employee - Procurement Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Procurement Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits package. Offered both a pension and 401(k) at the time. Pay was decent and some of the work material was quite interesting

Cons

The organization was very clique-y, those who didn't tow the part line didn't have a good experience. To meet goals, certain departments were given objectives that directly conflicted with each other. They tended to act like they owned their employees.

Respect the work life balance of your employees. Give departments a common goal and encourage them to work together to meet them, rather than pitting departments against each other. Eliminate redundant products and trust your employees.

The day to day relationships with people are fantastic. The end markets improve human life & that makes the job great.

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Reasonable work hours and trusting supervisors make the work environment a treat every day.

Cons

The HR department is a train wreck. From hiring, to part-time, and on boarding, there is very little transparency or process.

Fix your HR department, people should get a better feeling for this great company than what they are being provided on day one.

Great Place to Work, really good management below the C-Level

Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Director and VP Level Management. Great Work Life Balance

Cons

C-Level Leadership lacks experience in the field of Life Science. Pay is low for St. Louis

Have enjoyed working here

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are better than most

Cons

No cost of living raises

Good benefits and work-life balance, hard to advance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The work is interesting and challenging, definitely not boring. Great experience in the lab. Very useful in acquiring skills to find a job at another company. Great variety in chemistry. Flexible hours a plus. Work-life balance is pretty much what you want to make it. Stable company.

Cons

It's very hard to get a promotion unless you are willing to relocate to another site. Even then, it is difficult. Compensation is often under the average for scientists in certain geographic areas. Constant mandates from corporate HQ to develop new policies and procedures, without adequate support to do it. Very hard to hire new people, so employees must work harder to reach goals. Many job functions moving to India, without care as to whether the functions are done well. It's all about cost-cutting. Company does little to support scientific staff. Tries to do too much as cheaply as possible, rather than paying for expertise.

Enabling scientists to improve the quality of life also means enabling your own scientists. We are a microcosm of your customers. Our needs are their needs.