Sigma-Aldrich Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

1. Decent place to work

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich

Pros

Decent benefits, compensation is competitive for the area

Cons

Not many opportunities for advancement.

lacks respect for lower tier workers, prod, maint, ship/rec, mid mngmt

Current Employee - Hourly Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Hourly Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

dedicated people who realize how important the jobs they do are.

Cons

when new hires make 5-9 dollars an hour more than 5-25 year employees, it shows just what a corporation honestly thinks of thier workforce. especially when you ask an employee with 9 yrs experience to train a new hire who makes 9 dollars an hour more. getting very depressing working in this enviroment. when brought up to mngmnt, answer was "not a subject they will talk about"

Advice to Management

stop treating the workforce as if they are furniture, you must realize that with respect and consideration, only then will you get the true potential out of any workforce.

3. Friendly environment but hard to advance.

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich

Pros

People are good to work with, good place to get experience under you belt.

Cons

Very limited opportunity for advancement unless you are on someone's "list". Pay rate is somewhat low.

5. Sales

Former Employee - Field Sales
    Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great quality sales staff Well regarded products

Cons

horrible and mean management constant changes- no patience to see if new tactics work before changes made no recognition of importance and hard work of sales force customer is not a top priority CEO knows nothing about science- thinks he can run company like his auto company- obviously made tons of money for himself while cutting pay for lower level employees to get company ready to sell

Advice to Management

get rid of them, Merck

6. Great company with many opportunities

Current Employee - Chemist I in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is a fairly laid back environment depending on what group you work for, and the overall atmosphere of the company is positive.

Cons

Sometimes communication between areas is a little unorganized, and there is a lot of equipment that needs to be fixed but you will find that in any large company.

7. SA Review

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Working at Sigma-Aldrich has given the opportunity to not only enhance technical abilities, but to lead. I’ve learned how to work with global teams and processes that have allowed me to develop a well-rounded view of our global market place. My initial position at Sigma-Aldrich was limited and now I have the ability to manage projects and staff resources. This has allowed me to truly explore my full potential.

Cons

Long hours and hard projects - Sigma-Aldrich gives you the opportunity to learn about every position within the company. They encourage you to work with cross-functional teams and learn as much as you can about your various areas of interest. Sigma-Aldrich gives the opportunity to excel in many different fields. Knowing that the work you performed on a project helps a customer enhance their manufacturing process thereby allowing them to produce their active pharmaceutical ingredients more robustly is very satisfying.

Advice to Management

Grow revenue.

I started in Customer Serice and moved through 6 positions in over 10 years.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay rate comparable to other companies in this industy.

Cons

Sigma-Aldrich is moving many of it's departments to India. This is a company that once prided itself on no lay offs, but is now providing separation packages to most of their headquarters in St Louis, MO.

Advice to Management

Every department has their own interpretation of the rules. The "One Company" environment is not promoted and adhered to as advertised.

9. Quality Dept: great co-workers, as well as decent benefits; overall a great company to work for.

Current Employee - Chemist I in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom to manage your assignments. They are involved with great philanthropy within the area. Involved with innovation technology within the pharmaceutical industry.

Cons

Although everyday may be different, the tasks can be repetitive. Often I am overwhelmed with deadlines and projects that I may involved in.

Advice to Management

Go away with process improvement as a way for promotion.

Great place to start a career, horrible place to move up in your career

Former Employee - R&D Scientist
    Former Employee - R&D Scientist

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance Great coworkers Stable job

Cons

At lower level positions, good chance of moving up (though longer than typical biotech). At higher level positions, nearly impossible. No bonus (except for management). During the 2008-09 recession, people were fortunate to keep their jobs. However, within one week, company said no one would get raises while hypocritically talking about how company achieved record $2 billion sales. Also seemed to fine money during that time for $250k+ enhancement to the building and bonuses for management. Raises outpaced or matched by inflation for ~6 years.

Advice to Management

Set up a structured mechanism for people to achieve promotions. It is so arbitrarily decided (governed more by favoritism than merit). Take 10 minutes of your week and step in a lab to better understand how hard employees work. You have time to go spend $100's on a dinner with a customer but can't spare a few minutes to get to know your own employees. If more than half of a group has gone to HR about a specific manager, fire that person or accept that your employees will never take you seriously.

11. Interesting experience

Former Employee - Procurement Agent in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Procurement Agent in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Sigma-Aldrich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits package. Offered both a pension and 401(k) at the time. Pay was decent and some of the work material was quite interesting

Cons

The organization was very clique-y, those who didn't tow the part line didn't have a good experience. To meet goals, certain departments were given objectives that directly conflicted with each other. They tended to act like they owned their employees.

Advice to Management

Respect the work life balance of your employees. Give departments a common goal and encourage them to work together to meet them, rather than pitting departments against each other. Eliminate redundant products and trust your employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed