Sigma Space

Updated February 10, 2015
3.3

Marcos Sirota

15 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

You Get out what you put in

Former Employee - Web Developer in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Lanham, MD

I worked at Sigma Space full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Staff, flexibilty, benefits, and environment...
    Most of the people that I worked with at Sigma Space were really great people who I got along with well and felt comfortable talking to about projects, life, and responsibilites.
    My hours for my team were flexible, and if I needed time off to attend to my daughter or take care of a personal issue, they understood and allowed me to make up hours.
    The Benefits for the company were strong and the environment allowed me to grow quickly and feel comfortable as I did so.

Cons

Salary and lack of support...
    At times I felt like I was being underpaid for the work that I was doing with the company. But I was brought in right out of college for my first job and I cant complain because they took a chance on me and gave me the tools that I needed when asked. When I asked for a raise, I was given it (Maybe not to what I was looking for, but it helped nonetheless)
    In terms of my position with the company, I was on an island. I was brought in as an intern, and didnt have and senior leadership or anybody to work with. I had to learn and grow on my own. Depending on the person that can be a good thing or bad, but I was able to put my head down and adapt well, learn on my own, and grow substantially during my time.

In terms of my position with the company and the situations that I was apart of, the communication needed to be stronger. Expectations are set, but PMs and managers just let their employees do what they need and are given too much freedom. They put the responsibility on the employee to communicate to them. If I was managing a project, I would want to check in more frequently and see status updates more often. Set deadlines to push employees. Things can get too lax, deadlines can be missed, and projects get taken away when employees don't even know whats going on.

Interesting company

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space

Pros

Challenging work with a great group of people. The instrument design is vertically integrated thru optical, electrical, mechanical, and software engineers. So you get to interact with the entire design and have system level interaction early on.

Cons

They have good technology but try to fund development thru outside contracts, not building the next version until someone wants to by something.

Sigma Space is not where you want to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The contract I worked on had a lot of experienced, knowledgeable people on it that came from the previous company. Found out they were highly dedicated to the contract, not the company.
    Location. Right off the Beltway.

Cons

Lost important NASA contract then ungracefully claimed the winner did something unethical. This led to a lengthy delay in transition.
    Management allowed to nurture an "us vs them" culture. Poor or stinted communication. Lack of people skills in most middle management. Fear and public belittling tactics used.
    Management ignorance and/or disdain for company's code of ethics. Racism and misogyny evident.
    No upper movement from within. All hiring comes from outside. Extensive turnover in past year. Disregard for experience, level of education, and prior performance reviews.
    Managers did not understand the project mission then, expected employees to work without time or monetary compensation over normal hours when goals not met.
    Managers were disorganized with personnel paperwork and project task items, constantly asking for resubmission.

Work on your management personnel hiring. Consider installing a worthy management training program. Cultivate your employees. They are an investment. When you win a successful project understand that the people that come with it are the ones that made that project successful.

Sigma Space Corporation Review

Current Employee - Manager in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Manager in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Small high technology company, interesting work

Cons

Not well managed, poor communications, us/them management atmosphere, far too tight on compensation, no kind of profit sharing or fostering of loyalty and inclusion, management lack of communication and us versus them attitude with employees apparently led to loss of major contract (more than half the company by personnel)

Revamp compensation structure to reward employees and foster a sense of appreciation and inclusion, create buy in for company goals and business opportunities. Consider a profit sharing arrangement. Definitely increase communication, openness, make employees feel valued and included as opposed to keeping most in the dark. Initially this company seemed like a great place to work, but over time it has turned out to have a small tight clique of people at the top, and then everyone else. And that clique fosters a very us versus you attitude that is corrosive to company morale. I would not be surprised if Sigma goes out of business in the next few years, unless some very significant changes are made.

Great COmpany

Current Intern - Nasa Intern in Lanham, MD
    Current Intern - Nasa Intern in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of events every month.
    Friendly colleagues.
    Really interesting work

Cons

Low pay but as an intern i do not expect a lot

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good colleagues, good opportunities if you have initiative, flexible methods for getting things done

Cons

Sometimes the diversified products and contracts of the company can create a "rush" mode that is a little uncomfortable

Continue to develop middle management

Excellent and hard working people

Current Employee - Scientist/Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Scientist/Engineer in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My colleagues at Sigma are exceptional. The culture is definitely one of roll up your sleeves, find your niche and contribute. I have learned a tremendous amount following this principle. Not a place for the passive or coasters.

Cons

Effective middle management has been a bit of an issue, but this is being rectified. The vacation time is a little short

Continue with pushing Sigma's excellent LIDAR capabilties. Do not forget the company's core competencies as the business grows.

Upper management is kind but clueless

Former Employee - N/A in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - N/A in Lanham, MD

I worked at Sigma Space full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I think upper management really tries to create a family atmosphere. This works in some areas of the company, while other areas are so tormented by their mid-level managers to the point that they refuse to participate in any company activities.

Cons

Mid-level management inept, racist and sexist. HR non-responsive. For such a small company, upper management should be more aware of what goes on in the trenches.

Take note of which types of employees are forced to leave on their own due to discriminatory practices by mid-level managers or are 'let go' due to budget constraints. I think you will be surprised at the pattern that results in certain contract/task areas.

Great Company to Work For

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lanham, MD
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lanham, MD

I have been working at Sigma Space full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Exciting and innovative project, tight knit employee community, flexibility, opportunities are abound to contribute and make a difference, everyone is valued, salaries are above average, good benefits

Cons

Sigma is constantly growing, obtaining new and challenge projects. Some transition work is always required during periods of growth. I don't view this as a con necessarily, just an area of focus for improvement on training and processes/procedures to create efficiencies.

Continue to be employee focused, a happy employee is a loyal and long term employee.

Good company... if you aren't a software engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lanham, MD
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Lanham, MD

I worked at Sigma Space full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very good labs, good office space, relatively easy location to commute to. Great place to work if you are electrical, optical, or mechanical engineer. CEO is very nice.

Cons

Project management lacks direction, constant firefighting, constant task switching. There is an open corporate cultural bias against software developers. Understaffed to the point of being tasked over 200% continuously. Some days you will be pulled several times onto different projects. There are a few "legacy employees" who definitely need to be let go and are holding the company back.

Stop shuffling people from project to project. Try to act like you care about the software efforts - even with the company being hardware oriented these folks are part of the team. I would not recommend this place to another software engineer, but I would to an EE or ME.

Sigma Space Photos