Sigma Systems

Tim Spencer

great company - excellent leadership

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sigma Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood compensations, excellent beneftis, great colleagues, location

ConsFound there is lack of promotion in the company

Not the place for Sales Professionals

Sales (Former Employee)

I worked at Sigma Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSmall tight knit group of people that go way back many, many years (before the launch of the company). Strong cable telecom only background - no mobile or wireless experience.

ConsDo not pay commissions they agree to at the start. Long work days, Time away from home and Long sales cycle - closed deals are large but over a period of time not upfront. And the leaders try every trick in the book not to pay you. Several sales people in industry in the U.S. will not work for this company based on reputation alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeveral changes in direction confuse the market - pick one and stick with it.

its' ok

Scientist (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Sigma Systems

Prosit is a relatively stable industry

ConsAs it is a relatively stable industry, there is no much room for development both in personal and industrywide, no excitement.

Advice to Senior ManagementExplore more opportunity in other industries. Give the employee more room for development. Encourage for collaboration between different deparments and with other companis.

Good working experience

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sigma Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood work exposure, Product based company

ConsLess compensation, Less process oriented

Advice to Senior ManagementTo provide market competent compensation

Overall a good work place

Technical Lead (Current Employee)
Pune (East Timor)

I have been working at Sigma Systems full-time

ProsGood work-life balance, less stressful.
Ample of learning opportunities if u fall under a good manager, work from home facility is available in case of emergencies.

ConsNot so employee friendly HR - India policies.
No facilities for transport, food quality served is not good.
HR is not that pro-active.
Politics and favoritism at higher management level.
Salaries are not very competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe innovative. Pay attention to employee facilities.
Less politics would encourage new people to grow.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sigma Systems full-time

ProsGreat working environment, knowledgeable people, salary competitive.

ConsRaise in salary not often, relies more on bonus.

Good company to work for

Technical Accounts Manager (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Sigma Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsStart up atmosphere, nice people to work with and good business model. Profitable company and good location

Conssmall company, privately held, might be a candidate for take over

Overall, Dissatisfied with the culture, but satisfied with my work

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Sigma Systems

ProsThe location in Pune is close to the center and convenient.

When I was there, I became part of a "work hard, party harder" group so I did enjoy my stay there. I stuck there for 2 years, because it was my first brush with Java Enterprise technologies. I was at a lower experience level, and I got to learn a lot.

If management is happy with you, you will find your stay there satisfying.

Gained good domain knowledge (OSS, provisioning systems, telecom/broadband domain) but I did have to run around for information and be "friendly" to get it, not that it is part of the process.

Good technical exposure. I would say that I learnt lot of things here by working 12-14 hours a day (but dont expect the company to appreciate that, it is a family run company).

ConsVery high work load, and less pay.

The company grew from 100 (approx) to 250 (approx) employee strength during the time I spent in Sigma. They were able to manage well when there were around 100 people with their "small company" mindset and management style, but now they are unable to manage properly.

No processes, works in an ad-hoc manner (atleast in India). (No processes and excessive processes, both are bad)

Very few on-site opportunities, and those are short term.

Did I say that Sigma is a family owned business? The management style is like a desi family run company. Though it may not be apparent immediately, there are family members of the top management / board of directors at various positions of management and engineering in the company (in Pune). Not necessarily a bad thing. They were nice people actually.

The policies are decided at runtime, the policies can change anytime the management feels like, policies can suddenly exist since last n number of years, policies can change during your appraisal :-)

I felt that the work culture and atmosphere was rather unprofessional. If you want some piece of information from someone, you really have to ask them many times, and send many emails. Yet, you cannot be sure if your work will be done.

Not much research oriented or willing to try out ideas. Highly profit-oriented company. Being profit-oriented is not a bad thing, but in excess, it hurts everyone. To make a profit, you need to invest in engineering, ideas and R&D. This is lacking, both in the Pune as well as Toronto office.

Many major clients have left. Some of the customers listed on the website are ex-customers.

The company is almost stagnant for quite a few years. It seems that there is no further growth likely to happen. Either they will be taken over (which I hope happens sooner, for the sake of my old friends still there, but seems unlikely), or they will shut shop (not likely, they still have some good brains left in the company, and some good customers). Most likely, they will continue the same way like the past many years.

Bad appraisal process. Very often, the management tries to retain employees with false promises, if the employee leaves for greener pastures.

Sigma is not a company to work for in long term. You may join, enjoy, slog, learn, leave after one or two years. There is no career growth. The monetary growth is not good either. There is nothing like technical training, or career development plans here.

There is a pattern - people join, stay for a while, leave (including senior technical and management positions). Only people who have been here for a long time (over 6 years) and consolidated their position, stay in Sigma, and are now in higher positions.

I would also like to say that these are my observations about the Pune, India center. I do not have anything to say about other locations.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe open to different thoughts, simply dismissing something as a fad or a bad idea does not encourage people to give their best.

Bring in some professional management, and manage the talent well. Simply do not waste talent for a small monetary benefits.

Bring in some technical expertise, not just simply follow orders blindly. Develop some domain knowledge, do not ask people to search for information by yourself, expecting people to hit the right web pages for information.

Give up the tendency to micro manage. And do understand that a programmer who writes 200 lines of code a day is not necessarily more productive than the one who writes only 50 lines.

Accept ideas from all engineers, and not just people who talk too much but deliver little :-)

Think bigger, think growth, think of building better systems, think of ideas that can make our products better, the competition is too stiff now. Cannot be small and survive in this market.

Good Place to work for if you are from Cable Telecom Domain

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Sigma Systems

ProsIt is good for people from Cable Telecom Domain as Sigma is one of the major player in cable telecom service provisioning.
Good salary

ConsNot good for experienced people. Very less onsite opportunities. Not enough training for fresher about the telecom domain and technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe energetic with freshers. Need to focus more on fresher training as inappropriate training creates more gaps in their domain knowledge.

Good company to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Sigma Systems

ProsOnly for OSS
On site opportunities
Competitive salaries
Good work culture
Good location

ConsDon't join if you get in BSS.

Limited market, hence old projects, maintenance work
Result driven - no processes
Pathetic marketing team for BSS

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement strict processes

Worked for Sigma Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sigma Systems reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sigma Systems CEO Tim Spencer. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Sigma Systems employees.