Signpost Reviews

84 reviews filtered by
4.0
Signpost Founder and CEO Stuart Wall
Stuart Wall

Pros
  • Signpost is such a great place to work for anyone looking to start a career (in 12 reviews)

• They had plenty of company happy hours where co-workers made me feel comfortable and part of the team (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • SALARY: base salary is really low (in 5 reviews)

• It is a sales job - there will inevitably be good days and bad days (in 5 reviews)

Signpost

I worked at Signpost

Pros

I recently had to leave signpost due to personal matters, but I cannot speak highly enough of my experience there. I have been in sales for most of my career, but the management at Signpost is incomparable. Regardless of tenure or performance, the managing team there always has your side and takes the time out of their day to help you instead of sending an emailing or just barking at you what to do. Cannot say enough nice things about this place, I'm so lucky to have had the experience and recognize what good management looks like.

Cons

Finacially it can get difficult.

Advice to Management

The management could not be better. Honestly. I have to write 20 words so I have to keep typing but that's all I can say. Period.

Apr 6, 2015HR Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback. We’re thrilled you enjoyed your time at Signpost and wish you all the best in your endeavors. Please keep in touch and definitely reach back out if you wish to ... More

2. Really fun startup atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Signpost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people are the best. I never ever dreaded coming to work here because no matter what kind of day I was having, there was literally always a reason to smile at this job. The sense of community and an emphasis on helping each other is the biggest asset this company has. I really am grateful for the time I spent here and the amount of support everyone gives each other.

Cons

The base salary is not that high, but if you put in the work and realize you will have good days and bad days you will be successful. This job is all about attitude and you will see right away that the people who consistently make money are the ones pushing each other to be better and doing it with a smile.

Advice to Management

Sometimes it felt like being in a frat house or in high school. The prizes and sirens and sale songs and contests are great, but I sometimes felt that it marginalized the work we were doing in the name of fun. That being said, I would recommend this job to anyone, and you will truly never find a management team that cares about their employees like Signpost does.

3. Working for Signpost

I worked at Signpost full-time

Pros

I recently had to leave Signpost because I was moving but I can not say enough good things about what this company has to offer. I woke up everyday looking forward to going into work for many reasons. The management genuinely cares about each and every rep and wants you to do well, the environment/culture was constantly exciting/extremely positive, and incentives/recognition are simply unbeatable.

Cons

Financially it can be difficult.

Advice to Management

The management at Signpost is phenomenal. Once again, I can not say enough good things about all of the managers at Signpost. They are extremely attentive, kind, fun, and always there to help you close a deal (and make you $$$). I don't know if I'll ever be lucky enough to have managers in my life like I did at Signpost. 5 stars all around.

In the market of selling hopes & dreams, I was just hoping to make rent

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Signpost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is the one thing Signpost really has going for them. They have hired a group of enthusiastic young adults that get to share in their success and team work. This could be completely false now though, few people last longer than a year there (just long enough that no one has shares that ever vest).

The managers are great and try really hard to make the best out of a tough situation.

Cons

Everything else outside of the people around me. In my interview, I was told there was a direct path for vertical advancement, in your first year, you're likely to make over $35K, and that over 60% of the office makes sales quota (providing a whopping $1,000 commission check). Within a couple weeks into this new position, I realized both of these to be explicitly false. Management had been a long-term goal of mine in the office, but after seeing over 5 people overlooked for upper management, I realized my yearn for advancement would be just like basically everything else there, just a hope and dream.

I also realized that if you can't make quota, you're basically not making a living. What is interesting to me is that I was struggling on their $20K base + commission, but if you are a new applicant to this position- say goodbye to the base, you're on 100% commission (so good luck eating dinner every night). Oh yeah, and for those who don't understand taxes, commission is considered a bonus and taxed heavily- typically between 25-42%.

The training process is yet another downfall of this startup. Though the managers were great at teaching basic sales tactics and objection training, but you build a relationship with them upstairs, apart from the actual sales floor, gain comfort on the phones, and then as a reward to you “graduating” training, you’re thrown into a pit of basically strangers, with a manger who does not know your selling style or how to help, essentially putting you back to square one for a couple of weeks until your team warms up to you.

Welcome to a glorified boiler room. Signpost may have a keg, snacks, and fun music on all day, but you’re a work horse living on scraps. Signpost is trying to make a name for themselves in an extremely saturated market, their product has far to go in order to become a key player in their industry. For those with ANY sales experience, your talent is best put elsewhere. If you're right out of college with no work experience, this may be a job for you, but you'll probably make more money as a server.

Advice to Management

I would suggest paid overtime, but you don't even want to pay your employees at all anymore. So, I would say to reconsider the training program to be more cohesive in building long term relationships with your managers and coworkers from the start.

Feel-good

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Signpost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Your coworkers are your friends, the culture is young and feels deliberately like a startup. Reps and managers alike are held to standards and metrics that are clear and articulated, and upper management does a great job inspiring everyone to buy-in and actually care about the team/continued success of the company.

Cons

There have been comments about the lack of transparency within the company, and to a certain extent that is true. However, my biggest complaint is that my training as a salesperson and as a sales manager did not expand my skill-set or add significantly to my sales toolkit. Being a Sales Manager here felt like being a Junior Counselor at summer camp. All fun, no substance.

Advice to Management

Frankly, I don't care if things are "fun" and happy and whether I make friends. What I care about is my sales career. What's strange about Signpost's culture is how difficult it was to encourage the extra effort. For example, once we made a push for people to come in on a Saturday, and it was like pulling teeth. We eventually gave a $100 bonus for anyone who came, whereas other sales teams in town have dozens of people coming in on Saturdays because they understand they're working for themselves.

7. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Signpost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Management is willing to take suggestions and actively looks for feed back. Office culture is laid back.

Cons

Salaries could be better and not as many perks as other startups.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

Apr 6, 2015HR Manager

Thanks for your review and we’re glad that you’re enjoying working at Signpost. We strive to make our company a Best Place to Work and are always assessing our employee “happiness” factor when it ... More

8. I don't regret being there, but don't think I'd recommend.

I worked at Signpost

Pros

The people are the best part of this gig. They hire social, personable youngsters to work the phones, so making friends is a breeze. The Denver office is very nice, happy hours are in no short supply, and there are some running distractions that border on fun most of the time. Making a sale is legitimate rush, and as an experience thats in my rear view I'm glad I spent a few months here. I'm also am glad I shoveled sand for a summer a few years back, but I wouldn't do that again either.

Cons

Its a call center. You are making 130 dials a day, most of the 'leads' are legitimately and openly bothered by you. These are business owners who are getting called ALL DAY by people trying to sell them everything from cash registers to shampoos to marketing platforms. You will get very down and eventually dread when lunch break ends. If you are considering this position don't forget its a 9 hour day, 5 days a week, dial after dial after dial.

Advice to Management

My biggest issue with the company was the general us versus them feel between management and the worker bees. They will bs you to no end to keep your but in the seat and the phone to your ear. You are teammates as much as a farmer and his crops are. As a sales rep you are such a low cost commodity that salaried worker's main objective is to keep you from making that realization for as long as possible. There will come a time when management tells you one thing, you know its the other, and you know they know its the other, but this is the game that must be played for profitability's sake and, almost by definition, at your expense. Want an example? Read through the reviews here. Can you tell which ones were written by management? Hint: They are the reviews whose cons are actually pros. Reminds me of the verbal flatulence you are forced to spin in a job interview. Therein lies management's communication style.

9. Signpost, a startup that won

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Signpost

Pros

I made some lifelong friends working at Signpost. There are plenty of free snacks & beer. I learned about online marketing and the start up culture.

Cons

The product is worthless and you feel like you may be scamming small business owners. You are being told to manipulate businesses and say whatever you must to get them to fork over a bunch of cash for someone to spend 10 minutes creating a yelp/ Facebook page for them. If you don't have a problem taking advantage of people and spending your entire day on the phone HARASSING small business owners trying to make a living, Signpost is the place for you!

Advice to Management

I think Signpost has potential. You all have no business selling this product yet - wait until you have a solid product instead of investing so much in selling an incomplete product. STOP LYING ABOUT YOUR RETENTION RATE. I signed up hundreds of clients and none of them renewed their contract, I checked.

It's... a company.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Signpost full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people who work here are amazing-- you'll meet a lot of people who care about you, you'll make a lot of close friends, and you'll have a lot of fun with your coworkers, both at work and outside of work. The perks aren't bad-- lots of potlucks, happy hours, and the ability to win prizes in contests. Salima is cool. People honestly seem to care about training you to be a good salesperson.

Cons

Where to start... the company is growing too fast and it's creating a lack of solvency with the product itself. There's a lot of suspicious separation between sales and CX/ a lack of transparency between the two divisions because people aren't satisfied with the product. You get the creeping feeling that you may be screwing people over. There's also a fair amount of favoritism-- upper-level employees make it pretty clear who they like and dislike. As someone who grew up in the north-east, I was also shocked at the level of racism in the office. Lots of white people, lots of weird, anti-Asian sentiment. If you're on the sales team, get ready to either never get time off or very begrudgingly be granted time off. I once asked off for a close relative's funeral and was told by my manager I couldn't go because my numbers weren't high enough (in the second week of the month).
    You'll also end up working late hours/ weekends some months-- it can be hard to justify 50+ hours a week for a 20K base. That's probably everyone's biggest complaint-- the base pay is nothing. Every other tech sales company is going to pay you more. Mainstreet Hub, Oracle, Yodle, LivingSocial, anywhere.
    Also, since the company can't seem to hire a good recruiter OR generate any good leads, get ready to work overtime for no pay hawking the company for new hires and "sourcing your own leads" (they act like they're doing you a favor by allowing you to do this extra, unpaid work, also)
    Basically, if you want to work for no money doing a repetitive, mindless, stressful job while loud music blares from sun-up to sun-down while some white guy in a polo yells at you about your "numbers" and you wonder whether or not you're actually doing any good in the world, apply here. It's a call-center that plies its employees with booze and small gifts so that people forget that it's just your run-of-the-mill churning out revenue/ churning out sales call-center.

Advice to Management

Start listening to your workers. Be more transparent instead of having a ton of secret meetings. RAISE THE BASE PAY.

Apr 6, 2015HR Manager

We appreciate your comments about our positive culture and take employee feedback, both current and former, very seriously. We’d like to address some of the concerns in this review about the level of ... More

Great place to learn, grow, and make money!

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Signpost has great training for new reps (experienced or non). Everyone is very supportive and wants to see you succeed. It is very fast paced. Tons of opportunity for promotion. Great pay for top performers.

Cons

If you are not prepared to work hard don't bother applying. Every second of every day is packed with excitement and can be stressful at times. Not sure if this is a pro or con but I sometimes work very long days (by choice). I'm addicted to it....