Signpost

Updated December 21, 2014
4.3

Signpost Founder and CEO Stuart Wall
Stuart Wall

Pros
  • Signpost is such a great place to work for anyone looking to start a career (in 12 reviews)

• They had plenty of company happy hours where co-workers made me feel comfortable and part of the team (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • SALARY: base salary is really low (in 5 reviews)

• It is a sales job - there will inevitably be good days and bad days (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

A Dream for Young People Looking to Start Their Professional Career

I worked at Signpost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Signpost is an amazing place to work. While it is easy to love the obvious benefits (startup environment, keg in the office, regular events and great camaraderie), this place is really amazing because of the support they provide. Constant regular training, managers that are always willing to help out and coach you (even while on a call), and a real sense of satisfaction in signing up a new small business knowing that this platform will really help them.

Cons

Sales is sales! Not everyone is a perfect fit for a high pressure phone sales environment, but if you are able to take the right attitude this job can be immensely rewarding.

As the company continues to grow, it could be helpful to keep employees more in the loop about how changes might affect potential career paths. Keep the positive energy flowing!

Great place to take on opportunities

Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Signpost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As the company grows, so does the set of responsibilities and opportunities, and employees are rewarded for taking initiative and responsibility. I generally have control over my hours for the most part. The office has a fun and encouraging work environment, that includes a ping pong table and a lot of positive energy. Things move quickly at the company, which generates a lot of challenges (a good place to grow your career if that sounds like a positive to you).

Cons

With rapid growth and change, coordination between teams can be a challenge, but is improving.

Make sure to keep working at coordination between teams as the company grows. Keep up the positive energy!

A real whirlwind

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost

Pros

Fast paced, fun environment, keg in the office, super casual. There are lots of ways for you to hone your skills, and plenty of opportunities for you to train yourself in different things. Very motivated team, really great camaraderie. 3 weeks paid vacation plus flex holidays.

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to move up in certain departments. Free pizza instead of overtime pay. Pay can be a bit low as well. It's a start up, so there's lots of growing pains--the building is a bit small as well, but they're working on changing that.

Higher pay: your employees work hard.

Cold Calling- enough said

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Signpost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you like cold calling, this could be for you. If you are right out of college this could be for you.

Cons

Base pay of 20,000 is pathetic
    They talk a lot about their great culture- it isn't that cool.
    Leadership is pretty negative
    Company seems to be going downhill

Don't be so negative and punitive. This place is run like a frat house.

The best decision I made to start my career!

Current Employee - National Sales Executive in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - National Sales Executive in Denver, CO

I have been working at Signpost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you had asked me 2 years ago when I was graduating college that I would be doing inside phone sales I would have told you that you were crazy. I was drawn to Signpost because of the product and the culture - being part of a startup was appealing to me. Little did I know that I would be where I am today. I've been promoted 3 times in a little over a year, and now hold one of the most senior sales positions in the company. Talk about upward mobility.

The product is fantastic. I've seen it change, evolve and improve enormously over the last year, and I'm proud of that. A product should never be stagnant, especially in the tech space, and I'm confident that our team has been improving the product based on EXACTLY what our clients want and need. We truly do empower small businesses every day.

The culture is equally as fantastic. The organization is very flat. Everyone always claims that executives have an "open door policy" but at Signpost it's actually true - there actually are no doors! You have lunch/drinks with the CEO, can ping the VP of Revenue when you need something, and direct management is extremely supportive in improving your sales skills. The training is great, as it's ongoing, and EVERYONE from management to the people next to you, is willing to help you out.

Cons

Things change. That's understandable though. The offices are growing, policies that were never necessary before change, sometimes career and promotion paths are altered, and sometimes communication between different departments can be difficult.

Please keep doing what you are doing. Make sure Signpost stays Signpost!

A fun, energetic company with a vision

I worked at Signpost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training program is great and concise, the healthcare benefits are awesome, and the management go out of their way to help every employee learn and succeed. The atmosphere is fun and there is a lot of camaraderie and friendly competition between coworkers. Rapid company growth means great new opportunities with the product, which really is helpful for small and medium size businesses.

Cons

Company growth is not necessarily a good thing for longer-standing employees, and the turnover rate is incredibly high. High-pressure nature of the job (cold calling businesses) is certainly not for everybody. While opportunity for decent earnings is present, it is very difficult to achieve and base salary has a lot of room for improvement.

While it is easy to hire and train large numbers of new recruits, I feel more focus should be placed on rewarding and keeping longer-standing employees with the company.

Smart team of dedicated professionals

I have been working at Signpost full-time

Pros

Autonomy and the ability to truly make an impact (via the product) on the overall economic health of small business in our economy. Small businesses form the backbone of our economy in terms of employing most of our workforce and delivering the majority of economic output. But many small businesses continue to hesitate to embrace technology because they perceive it as too difficult or expensive. Signpost's product REALLY does have the ability to change this which is awesome to be a part of.

Cons

Competitive. Also, in reference to above, if you need "hands-on" management and you are not the type of individual who can deliver on projects through your own ownership...this might not be the place for you.

Open up a bit more on market challenges. The staff here believes in the product, so no need to sugar coat challenges!

Make an impact on the company and on your personal skillset

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Here's a list of things I've come to love about Signpost:

Contribute - impact the codebase or infrastructure in a real, meaningful way (from day 1) and get the much-sought-after opportunity to witness the positive effects your contribution has made

Feedback - you'll know when something is right (or wrong!), and quickly. Signpost encourages high visibility for all its projects and requires candid code reviews for every code change.

Atmosphere - a high-energy start-up environment is energizing in many respects, but Signpost knows that engineers work best when given personal space to get work done. The main takeaway: the engineers care about the product and want to see it succeed.

Culture - I'd describe the culture as thoughtful and results-driven. It's always best to get a problem solved quickly, but make sure to think hard about what 'solved' means to you and your customers.

Cons

I won't list any cons here, because every real issue I've come across has been quickly handled by a quick conversation. I'm confident that will be the case for all future issues, large or small.

Keep it up, especially as growth continues!

You Get Out What You Put In

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at Signpost full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Signpost is an extremely interesting and exciting company to work for.

The company culture is great! It is the epitome of a start-up, tons of young people, direct access to top management including the CEO, a keg, etc.

The way the company is structured their is a ton of room for upward mobility. Basically, if your good you'll be given opportunities. Additionally, if you get started in sales that does not mean you have to stay there. After the first year you have the opportunity to move laterally within the company based upon your level of success and openings in the company.

Success in the sales division definitely takes a specific type of person/personality (self-drive, never quit mentality, lack of intimidation, ability to speak to communicate ideas clearly). However, if its for you you can do very well.

Finally, Signpost provides its employees with the tools they need to succeed. The training program is thorough, informative, and provides you with the skills necessary to hit the ground running from day one on the phones.

The interview process is straightforward and painless. The recruiters answered my questions honestly and fully informed me of the details of the job I would be performing.

Cons

This is a phone sales division. Like any other position of this type there are ups and downs.

Signpost Wins

I have been working at Signpost full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great leadership and a great enviornment

Cons

If you are driven and motivated you will do great at this job.

great training and great culture