Signpost

Updated August 14, 2014

4.5

Signpost Founder and CEO Stuart Wall
Stuart Wall

Never thought I would love a job doing phone sales

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Culture: Everyone I work with has become my good friend; some of my coworkers I now consider best friends. We are all so positive and supportive of one another, and it's great working some place where we both compete against each other and cheer on each other's successes. Also the happy hours are super fun!
    -Career growth: The fact that you have the potential to raise your base by 10K in less than a year is huge, and with it the opportunity to help train and support new hires is huge. And the fact that the company is growing so quickly means that opportunities for greater management roles are there for those who work hard and want to make it happen for themselves!
    -Product: For so many small businesses, Signpost really does help boost their online visibility and have a dramatic impact on their remarketing and retention. I love that I don't feel like a sleazy salesperson when I'm pitching people and getting people signed up. I know that I'm helping small businesses do something good for their business that they wouldn't or couldn't have done themselves.
    -Leadership: I think the management team does a really good job of taking and implementing feedback, to the best of their abilities. Compared to other places I have worked, my opinion and ideas are valued tremendously here; that's part of what makes Signpost such a great place to work

Cons

-Lack of diversity!!! Especially in leadership positions, with regard to both race and gender. We're in the middle of freaking Texas, how is the office almost all white people?
    -Low base means that slow months take a big hit to your paycheck
    -Cold calling and being pushy on the phone is not for everyone.

-Take a more pro-active approach to recruiting a more diverse team (e.g. specifically reaching out to networking groups for people of color, women in business,etc). Even if you're not looking at it from a social justice standpoint, having a sales and leadership team that more closely reflects the shifting demographics of the US can only have a positive impact on the number of business owners we connect with, and improve our understanding of businesses' differing needs.
    -Set performance and workplace decorum expectations more clearly to newer hires to ensure that the culture remains fun, but still highly productive.
    -Explore outside resources for additional sales training materials.

Really cool place to work. You get to chose how successful you will be here.

Former Employee - Sales Executive  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at Signpost full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool, Family like environment. Growing fast and they really try to value their employees

Cons

Sales is tough. Don't take this job if you dont like repetition.

Do more to reward top performers

LOVED IT!

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Signpost full-time for more than a year

Pros

It is so much fun, yes its sales but the culture, people and product make it worth coming in everyday.
    Location, atmosphere, startup

Cons

I left because I moved out of the state.

-uncapped commission
    - promotions are mostly done inside.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fast paced, future focused environment with a "we win" attitude that feels as if you are a part of a team

I have been working at Signpost

Pros

The company not only values its clients and business relationships, but is founded on the idea of building long term success for all involved. Staff is friendly, fun loving, dedicated and hard working. Very easy office environment to feel motivated.

Cons

Must travel from the kegerator to the fridge to find domestic beer.

Continue the ACM's and knowledge forums, they are informative and continue to build the team atmosphere.

Such a great work enviornment

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruiter in New York, NY

I have been working at Signpost as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I have been working with Signpost for 2 months now and it gets better and better everyday! The office is lively and super energetic, everyone is so helpful, and the perks are amazing. I don't have a single problem about working for such a great company. You don't really find many companies that are so eager to help their coworkers. Even though sales is all performance based and EXTREMELY competitive - everyone is eager to help a friend in need. I have been in the recruiting department for only a few short weeks as an intern and I am so sad that I will have to leave at the end of summer. This company is one that is going to do BIG things and continue to grow!

Cons

The keg has Belgium Beer in it

Keep up the great work!

Signpost is a great company that is heavily vested to the success and growth of their employees.

Current Employee - Sales Executive  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost full-time for more than a year

Pros

We work in a highly energetic and positive environment. Constant trainings and fun competitions within or office lead to great rewards in commission and prizes.

Cons

I am in sales. In any sales role there is a lot of pressure and quotas to chase monthly. Since it is a startup, the communication between offices can be slower to come around.

More communication between departments and offices especially when considering role changes.

Funny how the claim is that Signpost "believes in small local business".

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Signpost full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Uncapped commision
    -Downtown
    -Snacks
    -Young lively co-workers so you don't fall asleep making 100+ calls.

Cons

-Narrow minded management. Belief is not in other businesses, it is merely in there own.
    -Throughout interview process I was told that all my past experiences were a waste of time due to the industry.
    -Be it that you feel more confident succeeding elsewhere, they will be sure to put you down on your way out.

Do not bag on other industries when your gig is to sell your service to companies in all of those other industries. If another career feels more suiting to an individual, as management you should merely wish them the best of luck. You may end up trying to sell my business your service. Good luck.

Great first job

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I worked at Signpost full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Friendly work enviornemnt
    - Uncapped commission
    - Free snack
    - Plenty of incentivized competitions
    - Free happy hours

The people you work with really make the job. Very supportive sales teams with a work hard/ play hard mentality.

Cons

- Pay is not very competitive
    - No promotion structure for longevity
    - Repetitive work/ Mind numbing

It's a typical sales job. Cold calling 100+ times a day can really get redundant, but if you're good at it you can make a lot of money.

Signpost Response

Jul 7, 2014Manager of Sales Talent

Thank you for the feedback, as we grow we will continue to map out a more robust promotion structure and career path here at Signpost. It is our hope that Singpost can become a world class ... More

A Great Place to Build Your Career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Signpost full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been at Signpost for less than a year and I have built my career more than I could have imagined. I started in sales, and found absolutely no success, but because of my hard work, the company offered my a position with the customer experience department as an account manager.

Working for a start up, there are challenges, especially working in the developing customer experience department, but it also opens opportunities that would otherwise never be available. Since starting in account management, I have moved to a different office to help start the customer experience team in the Austin office and been promoted to a team lead promotion.

The environment is exactly what you'd want from a start up and everyone is driven to succeed.

Cons

If you're looking for a mindless easy job, you've come to the wrong place. In every department, you need to drive your own success and your own career. Nothing is just given to you. Opportunities are there every day, but you need to make the most of them or you will struggle.

Keep the transparency and honesty. I've never heard of a company that is as open and honest as Signpost especially when it comes to big picture successes and issues.

Exactly what I was looking for

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Signpost full-time for more than a year

Pros

My many unrealistic goals in finding a new startup, all of which were met:

Tech
    o A mature, experienced, gelled tech team with good communication skills.
    o Broad full-stack opportunities to learn new technologies, do big things and take ownership.
    o Top-of-the-line professional tools and processes (code reviews, continuous integration, deployment automation, etc)
    o Passes the (modernized) Spolsky Test and Jeff Atwood's Programer Bill of Rights.
    o Trustworthy and technologically adept leadership.
    o Tolerant of remote employees and flexible for working at home periodically

Biz
    o Get-it-done startup culture but with above average compensation and a highly professional environment.
    o A business model that doesn't need virality to succeed.
    o Already making money with a solid sales team.
    o Solid executive leadership with benign, helpful investors.
    o Transparent, inclusive decision-making and information dissemination.
    o Don't be evil.

Cons

Everything on my "cons" list from a year ago has been fixed and then some. Same for 6 months ago and I expect that to continue. The main pain point right now is that there's so much we want to do and don't have enough tech resources.

Keep doing exactly what you're doing.

Worked for Signpost ? Contribute to the Community!