Sikich

3.8

Sikich CEO James A. Sikich
James A. Sikich

Growing, mid-size accounting firm

I have been working at Sikich full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-The work is engaging and you feel like you make a big impact on your projects. The work never gets boring because you're working on a new project every couple of weeks.
    -The business culture is professional, but fairly relaxed. You're expected to work hard, but people are friendly and cooperative. Even the partners are approachable.
    -I feel like there are plenty of opportunities for advancement. At my office, I've had plenty of opportunities to work on taxes, government audits, for-profit audits, and non-profit audits. Plus, promotions happen fairly quickly (every 2-3 years on average).
    -You're given a fair amount of independence when you work. Granted, a boss will review your work when it's done, but you don't have someone looking over your shoulder while you are working.
    -For an accounting firm, it has a great work/life balance. I feel that 90% of the time I am putting in only 40-50 hours a week. This might get higher as you rise through the ranks.
    -There is some travel involved (maybe 10% of your time), both to work for clients and to attend trainings. I feel that this amount is enough to keep things interesting, but not so much that it overwhelms you.
    -By working here, you're able to gain several connections with other small businesses. It's interesting to see how different businesses operate. Plus, these connections can lead to good job offers down the road.
    -Although the Company is starting to get fairly large, each office maintains a fair amount of independence. This results in the Company having the resources of a large company while continuing to have a small-business atmosphere.
    -Most positions are filled from within.
    -There is a great sense of job security. I don't think the firm has ever laid off an employee due to hard economic times. So as long as you come to work and have the right attitude, you're job is pretty safe.
    -I feel that the pay is fair and that raises are pretty good. The firm has a nice vacation policy (start with 15 days; then 20 after 5 years; and 25 after 10 years).

Cons

-The health benefits are pretty expensive. Monthly premiums for singles isn't too bad, but once you add your family, it jumps pretty high (about $600). The annual deductible is also pretty high ($2,500 single; $5,000 family). The Company does offset some of these costs by contributing some money ($50 single/ $100 family)each month to your Health Savings Account.
    -The 401k match is pretty low. The Company matches 50% of your contributions, up to 2% of your salary. I think most other companies offer a match around 5%.
    -When you work on multiple jobs at once, it can feel like you have multiple bosses.

My advice to management would be to keep doing what you're doing. I really enjoy what I do each day, the work atmosphere, the work-life balance, the opportunities available, the vacation, etc. I feel that Sikich provides its employees with valuable experience and engaging activities. I also feel that management cares about the employees and values their efforts.

My only complaint is that, for a mid-size company, the benefits are sub-par. Consider lowering the monthly premiums for families and raising the 401k match.

Also, get rid of SurePrep (tax workpaper software). The length of time it takes to bookmark all the tax workpapers is not worth it.

Good people, hard-working, well managed from top-down.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I have been working at Sikich

Pros

People. Great talent recruiters, find the best people. Office is top notch, keeping up to speed with technology and trends.

Cons

Can't really think of any.

Poor management from the top down, subpar pay & no appreciation for their employees

Former Employee - Marketing in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sikich full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good location, nice building and you will form relationships with a lot of great people.

Cons

I worked on the Marketing team at Sikich for a few years and I have to say it is one of the most unprofessional working environments I have experienced yet or ever hope to. When I accepted the opportunity, I was so excited to work for a company that was growing rapidly and “specialized” in so many areas and industries. The job description and overall reputation of the company seemed like exactly what I was looking for and what would propel my career forward.

I quickly found out that they had major change management issues, had WAY too many decision-makers (100+ partners alone) and had no understanding of what Marketing truly was. We were administrative assistants and nothing more. Not strategists, not creatives, administrative assistants that took random orders that partners threw at us last minute, quickly forgot about and then dismissed when they were presented a final product.

They shuffled through numerous CMO’s in the past few years – none of which could solve the many issues the Marketing faced -- showing the real value of Marketing and what it truly was and giving people a true career path to follow. The pay was EXTREMELY subpar, the raises were your usual cost of living increase, nothing more – regardless of how much you went above and beyond. If you wanted to find out what your next career step was, forget it. Your manager doesn't know, HR doesn't know, just be happy you have a job and continue coasting along. No ambition required.

To put it into perspective, out of the dozen people that I worked with, three are left. Most got out of Sikich as soon as they realized what a mess this department was and the rest were let go because they didn’t fit into their “sorority culture.”

I wish everyone on the team the best of luck. If you want a future in Marketing and to grow your career, this is not the place for you. If you’d like to be paid in the bottom 10% of the market, be unappreciated no matter how much work you put in and experience the worst treatment from the top down, you’ll thrive here.

From a financial perspective, they look like a great company to work for. Due to their EXTREMELY high employee turnover, they're going to tank quickly, and it's a real shame because they have great potential.

So long, Sikich and good riddance.

Almost, but not quite

Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sikich full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Quickly becoming an Accounting powerhouse in the industry. Staff is flush with intelligent people. Workload expose staff to a vast array of business types. Growth business means benefits can compete with large competitors.

Cons

Take your baby steps elsewhere, then move to this firm. Although staff proclaims to create an open learning environment it feels a hundred percent opposite. This is a firm with very close alliances that exudes "click" from day one. Very little middle ground for commingling. This is perfectly acceptable for a fully trained professional, that fits the click-y atmosphere or prefers solitude.

Varies by department

I have been working at Sikich full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Rapid growth
    Casual environment for professional services
    Advancement possibilities
    Solid people
    Friendly CEO
    Flexible time/commuting options depending on manager

Cons

Really interesting to contrast my experience with the one below. I think the experience varies from department to department. As someone who is not in a consulting/client service role, I have been fairly unhappy here. My department is overworked, undervalued, and understaffed.

Health insurance premiums have jumped (it's more like $800/month if you have a family + 5000 deductible.). Lots of partners means lots of egos and many different interests being served. I've also noted several clear incidents of sexism (e.g. comments, pay discrepancies). Pay is on the lower side and benefits keep declining. There is not a unified feel throughout the company and its offices.

Communicate better, grow culture and unified identity to match company growth

Tax department

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Sikich

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Very poor feedback. Unorganized at times.

Give your employees better feedback.

Not the amazing company they hype it up to be

I have been working at Sikich full-time

Pros

Lots of fringe benefits like additional learning opportunities, cell phone reimbursement, paid time off for volunteer opportunities, etc. Most people are pretty friendly.

Cons

So much is completely secretive, i.e., lots of "closed door" meetings (no transparency). The basic business processes and hierarchy are archaic and ineffective, and the "amazing" benefit programs they promise you upon hire are rarely approved. There's no room for growth. Pay is not in-line with industry standards.

Be honest with your new hires about their job roles and availability (or lack thereof) of access to your benefit programs.

Great Company to work for.

I have been working at Sikich

Pros

Great people to work with and great company culture.

Cons

Very satisfied with the Company thus far (first year).

Dynamic portfolio of professional business services.

Former Employee - Business Development - Technology Division in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Business Development - Technology Division in Naperville, IL

I worked at Sikich full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, good work-life balance, great upper management

Cons

Not many negatives about this employer

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Sikich

Pros

Great work people and great work environment

Cons

Some of the benefits could be better.