Sikorsky

Sikorsky Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer

Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program(in 20 reviews)

• I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy(in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living(in 7 reviews)

Great product and history

ProsSikorsky is the leader in the global helicopter industry and offers a challenging environment to learn and grow.

ConsThe pace can be demanding and the company is slowly getting beter at helpoing employees balance their work-life issues. Defense spending reductions are creating challenges for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate to all employees.

Fast paced with an emphasis on quality and safety

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsGreat pay and benefits, and a employee scholar program that anyone can take advantage of.

Consreducing the cost of poor quality (COPQ) and keeping OT under control

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to list to the people working on the floor, and re-introduce the suggestion system which worked so well in the past.

Opinion on Working At Sikorsky

Operations Finance (Former Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsThe benefits are excellent - they offer a variety of levels to choose frm that vary in price and number in family

ConsLong hours during the close every month, quarter, and at year end. There are many reviews prior to finalizing forecasts and plans

Advice to Senior Managementconcerned about EH&S and Ethics

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great place to work... if you don't know any better.

Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer (Current Employee) West Palm Beach, FL

ProsYou get to work on (somewhat) interesting projects...

ConsContractors are treated like second class citizens.
    No training program in place for new hires.
    Corporate policies and unwritten rules prevent any real work from getting done.
    Blatant ethics violations and waste of goverment resources everywhere you look.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange your polcies so that employees feel valued and institute a training program for people to get familiar with their jobs and duties. Shadowing people for 6-12 months is wholly ineffective.

worked there 5 years as Final Assembly Foreman

Final Assembly Foreman/Manager (Former Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsPay is okay. Pride in your job. Work life balance sucked. Lots of overtime and zero compensation. Personal growth is all in who you know. No respect from upper management. If you spoke truth and your mind, and it wasn't what they wanted to hear look out. hence me being laid off.

ConsCompany makes vast amounts of money, yet bonuses and compensation for mid level salary suck. They worry more about Union employees then they do the people who supervise or run them. I had a crew of 25 people building helicopters under my direction and in a 40 hour work weeks pay they all made more then me.
    Speaking up to management or having your own ideas is frowned upon. Salary HR is a total joke, and if I didn't know better through you under the bus to upper management.
    Doesn't matter how great you perform, if they don't like you or you point out inept people or practices you get tossed. Example: I was rated number 1 out of 13 salary foreman on my line in 2013. In 2014 I was only 1 of 2 foreman let go during lay offs. Do the math.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys couldn't manage Pratt and Whitney, then got sent to Sikorsky ( both UTC Companies ) You are afraid of anyone having skills or knowledge below you that you don't have. You worry more about a Union workforce that hates you then the salary workforce that gets your job done. You disregard or don't acknowledge talent and only help or promote someone who's a relative, friend, or somehow tied into the company. When you have your ideas or processes you deploy shown to be ineffective or lacking, you scorn the messenger and keep tabs on when to get rid of them. I had a salary HR lady in a meeting discuss upper managements concern with keeping quality supervisors in a meeting of about 20 of us. The meeting brought up all this and I brought up that I considered working elsewhere due to these troubles. Guess what, # 1 guy in 2013 got laid off 5 months after that meeting in 2014.......Go figure.

Underpaid and Overworked

Advanced Concepts Engineer (Current Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsIt's very cool working for one of the premier helicopter companies in the world.

ConsThey pay below market since there is no direct competition for talent in the area. Inflexible work arrangements.

It's a Job, but oh, what a way to make a living.....

Engineer (Former Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsGreat product, access to cutting edge technology, education program.

ConsCONSTANT layoffs!!! Rumor mill surrounding layoffs, very political place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the practice of hire / fire management. That is NO WAY to run a company. Keep up with technology as the product matures.

Constant instability and stuck in the 80's

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPart of the UTC Family so there are perks along with decent pay. My co-workers were great.My immediate manager was a joy to work for.

ConsBehind the times. not very diverse. Upper management out of touch with the workforce and doesn't respect the people who actually do the work. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the talent you hired a chance to shine. Increase the number of weeks vacation

Cool product, but your just a number

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsGreat Product, supporting the troops

Consto the company you are just a number, no personalization. Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living. Even though the company has had its biggest profits and margins in history, every year is furloughs and layoffs.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the small guys, they are the ones who really keep the company running.

A Great Stepping Stone for The Ambition-Minded

(Former Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsSikorsky has a tremendous heritage with deeply-embedded values and respect for its founder. From the shop floor to the c-suite, you can meet new people with fascinating backgrounds, a strong work ethic, and high moral values every day. I’ve heard a number of nightmare manager stories, but mine were generally talented, supportive of a healthy work/life balance, and treated me like an equal. With some luck but also through my own initiative, I was able to work on exciting and experience-building projects that took me to locations around the US and around the world. While the program wasn’t as generous as it used to be, I was still able to get a master’s degree paid for in-full with the Employee Scholar Program. Not to mention, the product is totally, unequivocally awesome.

ConsYears of unhealthy and unchecked nepotism are being combatted with aggressive diversity programs for women and minorities. Unfortunately, this may leave non-diversity candidates who relocate to an expensive area for a modest salary in an unbreakable bind. It was even more disheartening to be surrounded by ‘part of the furniture’-type employees who were less motivated but lived much more comfortable lives by comparison. I didn’t want to leave, but I couldn’t seem to get ahead from my contributions alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the news is any indication, Sikorsky and its suppliers can’t afford to continue to rely on one customer for forever. Sikorsky has the ability to attract talent that want to solve the next generation of world issues and improve the notion that helicopters aren’t safe enough or viable enough to meet these challenges.

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!