Sikorsky

Sikorsky Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer

Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Great pay and benefits, and a employee scholar program that anyone can take advantage of(in 20 reviews)

• Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy(in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living(in 7 reviews)

A Great Stepping Stone for The Ambition-Minded

(Former Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsSikorsky has a tremendous heritage with deeply-embedded values and respect for its founder. From the shop floor to the c-suite, you can meet new people with fascinating backgrounds, a strong work ethic, and high moral values every day. I’ve heard a number of nightmare manager stories, but mine were generally talented, supportive of a healthy work/life balance, and treated me like an equal. With some luck but also through my own initiative, I was able to work on exciting and experience-building projects that took me to locations around the US and around the world. While the program wasn’t as generous as it used to be, I was still able to get a master’s degree paid for in-full with the Employee Scholar Program. Not to mention, the product is totally, unequivocally awesome.

ConsYears of unhealthy and unchecked nepotism are being combatted with aggressive diversity programs for women and minorities. Unfortunately, this may leave non-diversity candidates who relocate to an expensive area for a modest salary in an unbreakable bind. It was even more disheartening to be surrounded by ‘part of the furniture’-type employees who were less motivated but lived much more comfortable lives by comparison. I didn’t want to leave, but I couldn’t seem to get ahead from my contributions alone.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the news is any indication, Sikorsky and its suppliers can’t afford to continue to rely on one customer for forever. Sikorsky has the ability to attract talent that want to solve the next generation of world issues and improve the notion that helicopters aren’t safe enough or viable enough to meet these challenges.

Good company to work for.

ProsGood benefits, Opportunity to grow.

ConsFear of lay off all the time since major business depend upon government fund and decisions.

Exciting product, great work, fantastic co-workers, uninspiring leadership

Program Manager (Current Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsThe people I worked with from the factory floor to 1st line leaders to professional staff to engineering were the most talented and dedicated and team oriented I have ever worked with.

ConsThe top line management was stuck in the old school management paradigms and completely lacking in team building and leadership skills. Although, there were some notable exceptions, top management spoke a good line but clearly acted opposite of modern management theory.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen carefully, observe intently, and get some additional help in training/mentoring effective leaders. Then proceed with far less talking and lead by strong example.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employed for 20 years in many different jobs.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOverall good benefits and they pay for education.

ConsThe ethical culture is poor and very political.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou would benefit the customer, employees, and community if you focused on fostering a positive culture focused on employee involvement. Avoid further ethical pitfalls founded on political gain or self-interests. Get back to implementing continuous improvements that focus on driving business results and not just checking the box for audit purposes

Busy but disorganized

Engineering Proposal Analyst (Former Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsGood people who are helpful when you ask questions

ConsTechnical jargon is difficult to follow, not much solid documentation of internal job processes, and slow turnaround with many processes (i.e. help desk, proposal inputs). People are very overworked

Advice to Senior ManagementRevamp internal process documentation

Steady

ProsAt times overtime pay is readily available

ConsOur business is at the mercy of US government and subject to budget cuts

Great company with old values

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsRewards employees who stay around for a long time. The company makes a great product and holds a strong market share. There is a lot of work to go around, you just have to be motivated enough to take it.

ConsNot the highest salaries. Company is usually understaffed and a lot of people have to work long hours. Lots of talk about change, but takes a long time.

Great internship experience.

Advanced Concepts, Conceptual Design Intern (Former Employee) Shelton, CT

Pros- Pay was great for a summer internship!
    - Worked with some awesome, talented individuals who took time to help interns understand processes and protocols at Sikorsky
    - Lot of freedom in individual approach to assignments
    - Open contribution in meetings and there is a stress on involvement for everyone
    - Great projects and interesting things to see all around Sikorsky
    - Ability to take classes while interning on concepts such as six sigma and lean
    - Integration into the company through events and intern summer project
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons- Have to document your work time very specifically based off of the project you are working on
    - Little freedom in project choice (must be working on something relevant at all times)
    - The first few days were a complete waste due to the overly complex order of things (spent all of my time just getting set up)

Positive place to work with unlimited opportunities

Manager (Current Employee) Stratford, CT

ProsSikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program. The work environment is challenging because of resource constraints, but it is also rewarding. One is rewarded for keeping a positive attitude, despite the pressures.

ConsDespite wanting to become a fluid, matrix organization, there are silos that are difficult to break. It is common to see employees scope their responsibilities narrowly and decline to get involved in collaborative problem-solving.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreater transparency & communication, particularly during times of significant change, such as the current enterprise-wide restructuring.

Good company overall

Customer Representative (Current Employee) Trumbull, CT

ProsSikorsky is a defence company with decent benefits,ability to move internally to other departments,and provides a healthy work life balance to its employees.

ConsManagement is slow in implementing changes and communicating relevant info for employees to adjust.Poor training and adaptability to organizational changes .System is highly bureaucratic and the occasional high school attitude/politics is evident when dealing with promotions and bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more performance- based incentives to employees,cut out middle management,provide higher quality benefits.

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!