Sikorsky Reviews

Updated October 2, 2014
Updated October 2, 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer
Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program (in 20 reviews)

• I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy (in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

An excellent place to work!

Former Employee - Engineer
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Sikorsky as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Though it has a deep sense of factional (departmental) pride, over all, this is by far one of the most customer, community, and employee conscious companies that I have worked for in over a decade. They are driven and well-balanced.

Cons

Factional: the main facility (Stratford, CT) has a strong union presence. There is a strong sense of "us vs. them" between blue and white collar workers. These hang-ups often lead to misunderstandings and energy can be wasted on soothing ruffled feathers.

Suggestion: "Get over it!"

Do more to bring blue and white collar factions together. Sponsor events that will help them to get to know one another. Erase the "us vs. them" stigma and help get things moving smoothly.

discuraging place to work

Current Employee - Mfg Engineer in Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Mfg Engineer in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pays ok.. coworkers are great, enviroment can be negative often times

Cons

management is horrible and they keep adding layers of management because someones son or daughter needs a job!

Great Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Coatesville, PA
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Coatesville, PA

I have been working at Sikorsky as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Company is great, people are great and management is good! They provide Snap-on Tools and clean and organized work space.

Cons

It is in Amish Country! Very rural, and lots of farming. Not much to do around here!

AWESOME...so far

Current Employee - Engineer in Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is awesome. So many employees here are passionate about the work they do. It is truly inspiring to work here. As a government contractor security is obviously tight but the work atmosphere is relaxed and has moments of periodic stress but I would not characterize it as a stressful job.

Cons

I have yet to find any real cons with working here. But an issue I see that is something that every large company has is having bureaucracy inhibit productivity.

Excellent stepping stone for your next career

Current Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Engineer in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employee tuition reimbursement has got to be the best in the industry, if not the best available. UTC, Sikorsky's mother company, has an outstanding arrangement to help anyone better themselves through continued education. They pay 100% of college costs (with exception of a few caveats on the details). Compensation is roughly abreast with the industry normal (see cons) and the benefits package is not terrible.

Cons

Get the money up front because you will never get it later. Annual raises are a harsh slap in the face compared to how well the company is doing. They have more excuses for NOT giving you an "adequate" raise than Elvis had hits. You will struggle to keep up with inflation in that regard.

As far as personal growth is concerned, if you are not participating in the employee tuition reimbursement program, you will not be getting anything. There is a possibility of moving up in the company but it is as common as winning the lottery. You can transfer laterally all day long and sometimes get a raise that way (maybe to the likes of 8% if you're lucky) but other than that expect to transfer out rather than up.

If you are one of the lottery winners and get selected for a advancement, remember moving up in the company is not always considered a promotion. It depends heavily on where you move to and which department you came from. On that note, the company is very departmentalized in that the multiple departments simply do not communicate with one another. Often times you will wonder how things get done because different entities within the company are so foreign you would never know they were all from within the same organization.

Best of luck! You are going to need it!

Employee engagement is not giving out pizza or the occasional catered lunch. Employee engagement means getting your employee's thoughts on current items the company is facing. Stop telling the employees they do not know what they are talking about; they will only be as good as you expect them to be.

One heck of a roller coaster ride!

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time

Pros

The people I work with on a day to day basis are amazing. I work with some very talented individuals. The time off policies make it bearable to work at my company.

Cons

Management just doesn't get it. The salesmen are full of it and most of the time they don't hardly know anything about the product that they are pushing. The work environment always feels like a numbers game and a dog and pony show more than a productive place to work.

Stop self-promotion and recognize the talent you have working for you. Concentration on that would be a good start. Work surveys are enforced but never listened to. Pay your workers what they are worth and stop trying to replace them with younger and cheaper labor. Stop preaching about ethics when it's obvious that you don't follow the same ethical code!

Was my first job out of college and was a great way to get my foot in the professional career door.

Current Employee - Avionics Engineer in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Avionics Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Got great experience, happy with my starting salary offer straight out of college. Benefits are pretty good for me, especially since Im a healthy single male with no kids.

Cons

At the Huntsville site there isn't much growth opportunities in a since of stepping out of your engineering everyday duties. Once you're hired on in one position, there isn't much opportunities expand into other fields.

More interaction with employees would be nice other than only communicating in all hands meetings.

Great Aerospace Company

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Great employee scholarship program
    - Opportunities to get into many different aspects of the design and test
    - Cool product

Cons

- To many managers who seem clueless
    - Way to much time providing status and not enough time fixing issues
    - Difficult to move up pay and level grades

Fire or demote half of yourselves and we'd get twice as much work done and have a much better product..

Stay away from CMHP

I have been working at Sikorsky

Pros

It is an honor to work with Canada Dept of National Defence with the commitment to provide a world class aircraft to Canada.

Cons

Sikorsky management lacks expertise, does not provide leadership or useful program guidance, and makes excuses rather than solving problems. In one year, management promoted/hired 10 managers compared to only 3 engineer hires and no promotions.

Listen, partner, and take action.

Good place to work if you don't mind all the rules

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Obviously the best paid job l've ever had. The work isn'the difficult, but the inspectors are tough.

Cons

The constant rumors of lay offs, then they change their mind, then they DO lay people off.

Most of the time the workers know that you are lying. We have family and friends upstairs and we have already heard the truth. When you say you don't know, we were testing you.

Sikorsky Photos