Sikorsky Reviews

Updated August 23, 2014

3.1

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer
Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program (in 20 reviews)

• I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy (in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work!!

Current Employee - Avionics Technician  in  Coatesville, PA
    Current Employee - Avionics Technician in Coatesville, PA

I have been working at Sikorsky as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Company is great, people are great and management is good! They provide Snap-on Tools and clean and organized work space.

Cons

It is in Amish Country! Very rural, and lots of farming. Not much to do around here!

AWESOME...so far

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is awesome. So many employees here are passionate about the work they do. It is truly inspiring to work here. As a government contractor security is obviously tight but the work atmosphere is relaxed and has moments of periodic stress but I would not characterize it as a stressful job.

Cons

I have yet to find any real cons with working here. But an issue I see that is something that every large company has is having bureaucracy inhibit productivity.

Was my first job out of college and was a great way to get my foot in the professional career door.

Current Employee - Avionics Engineer  in  Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Avionics Engineer in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Got great experience, happy with my starting salary offer straight out of college. Benefits are pretty good for me, especially since Im a healthy single male with no kids.

Cons

At the Huntsville site there isn't much growth opportunities in a since of stepping out of your engineering everyday duties. Once you're hired on in one position, there isn't much opportunities expand into other fields.

More interaction with employees would be nice other than only communicating in all hands meetings.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Aerospace Company

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

- Great employee scholarship program
    - Opportunities to get into many different aspects of the design and test
    - Cool product

Cons

- To many managers who seem clueless
    - Way to much time providing status and not enough time fixing issues
    - Difficult to move up pay and level grades

Fire or demote half of yourselves and we'd get twice as much work done and have a much better product..

ACE is the place

Former Employee - Instrumentation Engineer  in  Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Instrumentation Engineer in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Sikorsky as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay for contractors is great. For regular employees is average.
    Type of work is interesting, especially for someone interested in aviation

Cons

Management has the company so completely hacked up it is hard to understand what they will do next. During the last 4 years the company announced hiring freezes, massive layoffs, cancellation of overtime, redaction of raises for all employees, increased use of contractors, decreased use of contractors, etc. At the same time the company was hiring like mad, work was going gangbusters, and the earnings were through the roof. It created a lot of frustration for many employees. It made employees feel like they were not valuable. Also management implemented ACE, which is a six sigma type of program. All employees were required to learn and implement this program; although it did nothing effective nor did it really improve efficiency.

Expect long hours and lots of overtime. Sadly most of your overtime will not be paid for.

If you are looking for better efficiency and lower costs, consider improving employee conditions. Also retaining experienced employees is essential at a high tech firm. Take the resources and effort to make sure that people who have been with the company for a long time are valuable. Also, contracting out computer services to an outside vendor is a silly thing to do when dealing with a company made up of mostly engineers!

great company

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than a year

Pros

professional workforce, excellent environment, you get sickleave and vacation

Cons

no longer offer retirement for employees

Nightmare job

Former Employee - Data Manager  in  Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

looks good on paper when you're applying somewhere else...

Cons

everything! the culture, the declining benefits, the man's world attitude, hiring freezes, constant threat of lay-offs, furlough days every year, terribly low pay, and horrible office space... just to mention a few things

stop caring so much about what the outside world thinks of your company or keeping up your "image" and start caring about the people who break their backs wo0rking for you just to have the carpet pulled out from under their feet in a layoff.... while you spend millions on landscaping, executive suite remodels, and outside helecopter sculptures..

Good place to work if you don't mind all the rules

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Obviously the best paid job l've ever had. The work isn'the difficult, but the inspectors are tough.

Cons

The constant rumors of lay offs, then they change their mind, then they DO lay people off.

Most of the time the workers know that you are lying. We have family and friends upstairs and we have already heard the truth. When you say you don't know, we were testing you.

The most both challenging and rewarding company I ever worked for.

I worked at Sikorsky

Pros

I was given opportunity to showcase my technical skills and use
    my education.

Cons

avoiding being misunderstood as overly ambitious.

Give new hires an audience when it comes to solutions.

Large company - works for and against you

Former Employee - Subcontract Administrator  in  Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, salaries, chance to work on a product that you can actually see the result of your efforts.

Cons

Large company management structure - can get lost in the shuffle. Reorganizations are constantly taken place with little regard to employee input or satisfaction.

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!