Sikorsky Reviews

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer
Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program (in 20 reviews)

• I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy (in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

The most both challenging and rewarding company I ever worked for.

I worked at Sikorsky

Pros

I was given opportunity to showcase my technical skills and use
    my education.

Cons

avoiding being misunderstood as overly ambitious.

Give new hires an audience when it comes to solutions.

Good place to work if you don't mind all the rules

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Obviously the best paid job l've ever had. The work isn'the difficult, but the inspectors are tough.

Cons

The constant rumors of lay offs, then they change their mind, then they DO lay people off.

Most of the time the workers know that you are lying. We have family and friends upstairs and we have already heard the truth. When you say you don't know, we were testing you.

Great projects, good experience, exceptional colleagues, big company feel.

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked in the Engineering department for a smaller subsidiary and the greatest advantage was the amount of responsibility relative to my experience. It was a great opportunity to take on bigger projects earlier in my career.

Cons

Sikorsky is a huge company and carries with it some serious difficulties: bureaucracy, management hundreds of miles away making uninformed decisions, constant budgetary pressure.

Very challenging environment that changes with customer obligations.

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hard work and flexibility can pay off with a competitive and rewarding career.

Cons

Not much room for growth within the job fields.

Need more guidance and help with career growth while maintaining steady compensation increase year over year to avoid stagnation.

ACE is the place

Former Employee - Instrumentation Engineer in Jupiter, FL
    Former Employee - Instrumentation Engineer in Jupiter, FL

I worked at Sikorsky as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay for contractors is great. For regular employees is average.
    Type of work is interesting, especially for someone interested in aviation

Cons

Management has the company so completely hacked up it is hard to understand what they will do next. During the last 4 years the company announced hiring freezes, massive layoffs, cancellation of overtime, redaction of raises for all employees, increased use of contractors, decreased use of contractors, etc. At the same time the company was hiring like mad, work was going gangbusters, and the earnings were through the roof. It created a lot of frustration for many employees. It made employees feel like they were not valuable. Also management implemented ACE, which is a six sigma type of program. All employees were required to learn and implement this program; although it did nothing effective nor did it really improve efficiency.

Expect long hours and lots of overtime. Sadly most of your overtime will not be paid for.

If you are looking for better efficiency and lower costs, consider improving employee conditions. Also retaining experienced employees is essential at a high tech firm. Take the resources and effort to make sure that people who have been with the company for a long time are valuable. Also, contracting out computer services to an outside vendor is a silly thing to do when dealing with a company made up of mostly engineers!

great company

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

professional workforce, excellent environment, you get sickleave and vacation

Cons

no longer offer retirement for employees

Nightmare job

Former Employee - Data Manager in Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Data Manager in Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

looks good on paper when you're applying somewhere else...

Cons

everything! the culture, the declining benefits, the man's world attitude, hiring freezes, constant threat of lay-offs, furlough days every year, terribly low pay, and horrible office space... just to mention a few things

stop caring so much about what the outside world thinks of your company or keeping up your "image" and start caring about the people who break their backs wo0rking for you just to have the carpet pulled out from under their feet in a layoff.... while you spend millions on landscaping, executive suite remodels, and outside helecopter sculptures..

Large company - works for and against you

Former Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Subcontract Administrator in Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, salaries, chance to work on a product that you can actually see the result of your efforts.

Cons

Large company management structure - can get lost in the shuffle. Reorganizations are constantly taken place with little regard to employee input or satisfaction.

Good Company with some management issues

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Good working environment. Plenty of time for deadlines and within our own immediate department you can express yourself and engage in good work conversations.
    - Technology is somewhat up to date. Good computers and software is available for you.
    - Good benefits including healthcare and time off. Time off includes vacation, personal days, and sick days which you have plenty of.
    - HR is understanding of your personal situations and will work with you and your management.

Cons

- Salary is a bit under national average.
    - Career growth can be limiting. You may not be promoted for a long time. Sometimes requires you to move to under department.
    - IT support is very low. Technical issues may take months to fix.
    - Training is hard to come by. You learn from your coworkers but be expected to teach yourself.
    - Sometimes engineering is pressured by other groups (i.e. upper management, purchasing) to make decisions.
    - Be expected, as an engineer, to do a lot of management type work (i.e. paper work, releasing of documents, contract work).

- Purchasing should not be allowed to influence engineering decisions. Purchasing should work with engineering more to help them complete their job. Sometimes engineers know more about purchasing contracts and deliveries than they do.

Great place for an internship, very helpful engineers

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

They allow interns to really become involved in important programs/projects

Cons

Dealing with HR is a pain

Sikorsky Photos