Sikorsky Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
Updated September 9, 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer
Mick Maurer

Pros
  • Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program (in 20 reviews)

• I have been told that the Employee Scholar Program and stock award program has been limited lately (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance: is always on the horizon; there seems an innate inability to eliminate bureaucracy (in 10 reviews)

• Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Cool product, but your just a number

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great Product, supporting the troops

Cons

to the company you are just a number, no personalization. Pay raises are very poor and no adjustment for cost of living. Even though the company has had its biggest profits and margins in history, every year is furloughs and layoffs.

Support the small guys, they are the ones who really keep the company running.

A Great Stepping Stone for The Ambition-Minded

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Sikorsky has a tremendous heritage with deeply-embedded values and respect for its founder. From the shop floor to the c-suite, you can meet new people with fascinating backgrounds, a strong work ethic, and high moral values every day. I’ve heard a number of nightmare manager stories, but mine were generally talented, supportive of a healthy work/life balance, and treated me like an equal. With some luck but also through my own initiative, I was able to work on exciting and experience-building projects that took me to locations around the US and around the world. While the program wasn’t as generous as it used to be, I was still able to get a master’s degree paid for in-full with the Employee Scholar Program. Not to mention, the product is totally, unequivocally awesome.

Cons

Years of unhealthy and unchecked nepotism are being combatted with aggressive diversity programs for women and minorities. Unfortunately, this may leave non-diversity candidates who relocate to an expensive area for a modest salary in an unbreakable bind. It was even more disheartening to be surrounded by ‘part of the furniture’-type employees who were less motivated but lived much more comfortable lives by comparison. I didn’t want to leave, but I couldn’t seem to get ahead from my contributions alone.

If the news is any indication, Sikorsky and its suppliers can’t afford to continue to rely on one customer for forever. Sikorsky has the ability to attract talent that want to solve the next generation of world issues and improve the notion that helicopters aren’t safe enough or viable enough to meet these challenges.

Good company to work for.

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, Opportunity to grow.

Cons

Fear of lay off all the time since major business depend upon government fund and decisions.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exciting product, great work, fantastic co-workers, uninspiring leadership

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people I worked with from the factory floor to 1st line leaders to professional staff to engineering were the most talented and dedicated and team oriented I have ever worked with.

Cons

The top line management was stuck in the old school management paradigms and completely lacking in team building and leadership skills. Although, there were some notable exceptions, top management spoke a good line but clearly acted opposite of modern management theory.

Listen carefully, observe intently, and get some additional help in training/mentoring effective leaders. Then proceed with far less talking and lead by strong example.

Employed for 20 years in many different jobs.

I worked at Sikorsky full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Overall good benefits and they pay for education.

Cons

The ethical culture is poor and very political.

You would benefit the customer, employees, and community if you focused on fostering a positive culture focused on employee involvement. Avoid further ethical pitfalls founded on political gain or self-interests. Get back to implementing continuous improvements that focus on driving business results and not just checking the box for audit purposes

Steady

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time

Pros

At times overtime pay is readily available

Cons

Our business is at the mercy of US government and subject to budget cuts

Busy but disorganized

Former Employee - Engineering Proposal Analyst  in  Stratford, CT
    Former Employee - Engineering Proposal Analyst in Stratford, CT

I worked at Sikorsky as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good people who are helpful when you ask questions

Cons

Technical jargon is difficult to follow, not much solid documentation of internal job processes, and slow turnaround with many processes (i.e. help desk, proposal inputs). People are very overworked

Revamp internal process documentation

Great company with old values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Rewards employees who stay around for a long time. The company makes a great product and holds a strong market share. There is a lot of work to go around, you just have to be motivated enough to take it.

Cons

Not the highest salaries. Company is usually understaffed and a lot of people have to work long hours. Lots of talk about change, but takes a long time.

Great internship experience.

Former Employee - Advanced Concepts, Conceptual Design Intern  in  Shelton, CT
    Former Employee - Advanced Concepts, Conceptual Design Intern in Shelton, CT

I worked at Sikorsky as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Pay was great for a summer internship!
    - Worked with some awesome, talented individuals who took time to help interns understand processes and protocols at Sikorsky
    - Lot of freedom in individual approach to assignments
    - Open contribution in meetings and there is a stress on involvement for everyone
    - Great projects and interesting things to see all around Sikorsky
    - Ability to take classes while interning on concepts such as six sigma and lean
    - Integration into the company through events and intern summer project
    - Flexible work schedule

Cons

- Have to document your work time very specifically based off of the project you are working on
    - Little freedom in project choice (must be working on something relevant at all times)
    - The first few days were a complete waste due to the overly complex order of things (spent all of my time just getting set up)

Positive place to work with unlimited opportunities

Current Employee - Manager  in  Stratford, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Stratford, CT

I have been working at Sikorsky full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Sikorsky (and UTC) creates a learning culture and puts their money behind it with a very generous Employee Scholar Program. The work environment is challenging because of resource constraints, but it is also rewarding. One is rewarded for keeping a positive attitude, despite the pressures.

Cons

Despite wanting to become a fluid, matrix organization, there are silos that are difficult to break. It is common to see employees scope their responsibilities narrowly and decline to get involved in collaborative problem-solving.

Greater transparency & communication, particularly during times of significant change, such as the current enterprise-wide restructuring.

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!