Sikorsky

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Sikorsky President Mick Maurer

Mick Maurer

86 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Company with some management issues

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
    Stratford, CT

Pros- Good working environment. Plenty of time for deadlines and within our own immediate department you can express yourself and engage in good work conversations.
    - Technology is somewhat up to date. Good computers and software is available for you.
    - Good benefits including healthcare and time off. Time off includes vacation, personal days, and sick days which you have plenty of.
    - HR is understanding of your personal situations and will work with you and your management.

Cons- Salary is a bit under national average.
    - Career growth can be limiting. You may not be promoted for a long time. Sometimes requires you to move to under department.
    - IT support is very low. Technical issues may take months to fix.
    - Training is hard to come by. You learn from your coworkers but be expected to teach yourself.
    - Sometimes engineering is pressured by other groups (i.e. upper management, purchasing) to make decisions.
    - Be expected, as an engineer, to do a lot of management type work (i.e. paper work, releasing of documents, contract work).

Advice to Senior Management- Purchasing should not be allowed to influence engineering decisions. Purchasing should work with engineering more to help them complete their job. Sometimes engineers know more about purchasing contracts and deliveries than they do.

stable work but zero opportunities

Electrical Eng (Former Employee)
    Stratford, CT

Prosgood work good vacation days

Consjust say yes, leadership have no relation with the technical work

Great place for an internship, very helpful engineers

Engineering Intern (Current Employee)
    Stratford, CT

ProsThey allow interns to really become involved in important programs/projects

ConsDealing with HR is a pain

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Stratford, CT

ProsProvide great training and education benefits. Great opportunities since a member of United Technologies. Flexible hours. Strong process improvement organization.

ConsOlder workforce which have many people that have lost their drive. Frequent workforce reductions.

Enjoyed my time at Sikorsky

Program Manager (Former Employee)
    Stratford, CT

ProsGood salary, strong benefits, large employer, consistent work

ConsMilitary social structure, Poor senior management leadership.

Sikorsky Aircraft

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
    Stratford, CT

ProsThe company has international reach and a variety of different professional areas to explore.

ConsPoor leadership is pervasive, the company structure and management doesn't foster teamwork and morale is low.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe general employee population is starving for leadership and a sense of teamwork and unification. You are looking at a mass exodus and tremendous loss of talent as the economy recovers.

Another lesson to help me do a better sales job.

Senior Sub-Contract Manager (Former Employee)
    Stratford, CT

ProsManufacturer of the finest Helicopters in the world. While at Sikorsky I won various awards for doing my job above and beyond the high expectations already established by the company. I was also chosen to attend the Program Management Academy. Annual ethics classes were required which I always completed successfully. I also took numerous classes in negotiations as my responsibility was to negotiate all contracts that were required for the programs I was working. Many times I would negotiate the contracts to completion then hand off the account to another subcontractor within the group. Sikorsky is a solid company and if you do your job well, you could be confident in staying employed and getting paid fairly.

ConsTrust is something that management lacks of their employees. It takes too many layers of management approval to get something accomplished. This makes everyone's job much more difficult which creates much frustration to the vast majority of the workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more authority to the employees taking away the multiple layers of restrictions. These would ease the various jobs within the subcontracting group and would them to produce at a much higher rate. Also, this group should be given a much higher approval authority when issuing PO's. Again, this would streamline the job allowing more work to be accomplished by fewer people reducing costs for the company.

Fast paced with an emphasis on quality and safety

Production Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Stratford, CT

ProsGreat pay and benefits, and a employee scholar program that anyone can take advantage of.

Consreducing the cost of poor quality (COPQ) and keeping OT under control

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to list to the people working on the floor, and re-introduce the suggestion system which worked so well in the past.

Always watching your back

Engineering (Current Employee)
    Stratford, CT

ProsIt's close to home, good people, it's a pay check.

ConsIt's the only place I worked for that called people Engineers who didn't have a degree or had one in Psychology or some other non-related background.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real. Another GM starter switch scandal waiting to happen. Good people there but all treated poorly. Forget the HR department there can't be trusted.

Opinion on Working At Sikorsky

Operations Finance (Former Employee)
    Stratford, CT

ProsThe benefits are excellent - they offer a variety of levels to choose frm that vary in price and number in family

ConsLong hours during the close every month, quarter, and at year end. There are many reviews prior to finalizing forecasts and plans

Advice to Senior Managementconcerned about EH&S and Ethics

Worked for Sikorsky? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sikorsky reviews and ratings in Stratford, CT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sikorsky CEO Mick Maurer . All 86 reviews posted anonymously by Sikorsky employees.