Sila SG Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Rohit Kishore

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sila SG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with Sila for over five years and have really enjoyed my time here. I've had the opportunity to work on a number of different projects for several clients, and, for the most part, the type of work has been interesting and engaging.

They have been great about professional development; they've paid for some coursework and have encouraged me to pursue additional certifications. In addition there are a number of internal professional development options that we are encouraged to take advantage of. They are very supportive of community involvement to point that they support you in using hours to volunteer.

The company has a good culture and has frequent events to get coworkers to know one another. Lots of fun runs, picnics, happy hours, volunteering activities, stuff like that. They're pretty good about hiring skilled people with interesting backgrounds that you actually want to get to know, which makes the work environment more pleasant.

Cons

Limited to two major accounts at the Seattle office, but they are working on building out more clients.

Advice to Management

Review health benefits options to ensure market competitiveness.

Very limited opportunities

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sila SG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

OK salary. Office is near the client.

Cons

They have a small group of people that have worked for Sila for many years. Many of them worked for Iditarod Systems, Inc. that was purchased by Deloitte. This "small group" of consultants doesn't get any bigger. If there isn't a lot of project work available, expect to get cut. They have VERY limited opportunities. Expect to grow the business too. Sila expects their consultants to gain business for the company and it's part of your performance plan. The company hasn't grown in many years.

Advice to Management

Realize you're a small fish in a big ocean.

Technically Bankrupt

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Sila SG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Probably ok if you're a product management type and you can deal with the extreme dysfunction you will encounter working at Boeing.

Cons

Sila does not value technical talent. They just want people do dress nice and show up at Boeing. The salary and benefits are not good. If you are actually competent, you will not be happy here in a technical position.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are on the verge of obsolescence.

The worst place I've ever worked

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Tukwila, WA

I worked at Sila SG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aside from getting a paycheck, I do not find Sila to have competitive benefits.

Cons

Cons:

Having to work with a bunch of former Microsoft and airline industry employees who think of this place as being "the big time" even though they simultaneously are miserable. These people spend the entirety of their one-dimensional lives coming into the same job (Boeing/Microsoft) every single day and doing mundane and elementary tasks while getting paid six figures to promote the company so it can eventually be bought out.

As a salaried employee, you'll spend your business hours doing an incoherent set of grunt tasks at a fever pitch.

Every part of the Seattle area has its own unique culture. This place has a lot of people that commute from the East side. If you strongly identify with east and northern "culture" or suburbs, then you may really like it here. Especially if you completed college, have a chip on your shoulder, and just want to make six figures.

I could write a book about why this is a horrible place to work, but I'll close things off with a couple things you might find...peculiar...

-The will not be upfront with you about your performance. In fact, it's their strategy.
    -Many people here drink excessively. It's evident with all the alcoholic company gatherings.
    -They only have two clients in the greater Seattle area. Most of their clients are on the east coast.

Advice to Management

I do not.

Just okay if your options are limited.

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sila SG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the people who work there are very nice and welcoming. The company has a few strong contracts in the area and seems to be doing okay. The pay could be better but is not bad overall and the potential to grow appears to be there.

Cons

Expect a lot of uncertainty from management. The COO while very friendly, appears to suffer from SOS (Shiny Object Syndrome). New ideas regularly capture his attention in such a way that he gets distracted from the bigger picture and goes off in tangents instead of remaining focused on the goal. Of course what happens is that his bright ideas get started, but rarely ever get finished.

Other than the occasional company sponsored outing, it tends to be a boring place to work where you can hear a pin drop and people seldom talk much or appear to be enjoying their time. There are a few employees that have been with the company for a long time that seem to carry a large amount of clout with the management. You never really know where you stand.

Health benefits are super expensive. Many similar companies cover up to 75% or more of employee benefits leaving 25% for the employee to cover. Sila appears to do the opposite: they cover approximately 25% and leave the bulk of the medical expenses for the employee to cover.

Advice to Management

Make a plan and stick to it. If not you continue to lose people because they can't see a future for themselves with Sila.

Look at modifying your benefits packages; specifically Health Care costs for employees.

Not worth it

Former Employee - Project Management Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Project Management Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Sila SG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very little. I didn't find the benefits of working at Sila to be all that special.

Cons

They have two clients, Boeing and a little work at Microsoft. Company consists primarily of former employees and contractors from Microsoft and the airline industry. Sila was bought by Deloitte years ago and a group of people that were acquired during the acquisition of Sila by Deloitte decided to form their own Sila. Strange management and weird office politics. I felt suspicious of management. I've read other negative reviews about Sila and I think they are very accurate too.

Advice to Management

None really.

Good place to work

I worked at Sila SG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some nice perks to working here, nice office culture, warm and friendly people. Good emphasis on professional development.... certifications and other courses. Enjoyable company sponsored picnics and outings. Bench time provided to find other opportunities if your current project ends.

Cons

- Only one big account, couple of other accounts are very small and yet to grow
    - Telecommuting not encouraged
    - Performance initiatives not clearly outlined
    - Sabbatical not allowed or defined
    - No overtime pay
    - Senior Management sometimes makes decisions based on your credibility with the company or how clients want it

Advice to Management

Build more visibility and get more projects/ accounts.

Awesome Company

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sila SG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would definitely recommend working for Sila SG. I had a great experience working there. The people are like a family.

Cons

You don't always have a consulting gig and are sometimes "on the bench" with little to do. A lot of the consulting contracts don't have strong management within the respective client and there is often lack of direction.

Treating Employees Right

Current Employee - IT Program Manager
    Current Employee - IT Program Manager

I have been working at Sila SG full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Company focused on treating employees right
    - Fun, energetic co-workers
    - Excellent teaming events
    - Paid bench time
    - Employee perks and rewards
    - Interesting mix of customer problems
    - Excellent reputation within client base

Cons

- Limited account base
    - Unsure of strategy for obtaining new accounts
    - No name brand recognition in the greater marketplace

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on employee morale; seek to diversify client base

Employee Centric, Customer Centric

Current Employee - Software Development in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Sila SG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

* A consulting company that pays for bench time
    * Bench time can be spend on training and professional development
    * Focus on lining up the right person with the right customer
    * A lot of very bright co-workers
    * Great focus on community service
    * No specific occupation titles given, if you have a diverse skill set this is a big plus for all parties

Cons

* Salary lower than other consulting companies (but they pay for bench time)
    * Could have a more diversified customer base

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

RSS Feed </> Embed