Silgan Containers

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.3

Thomas Snyder

Just started at Silgan and made 70,000 in my first 10 months. Training is non existent. You learn by yourself.

Current Employee - Line Mechanic in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of overtime !! The older workers can refuse OT. They ask if you want it. You can make a lot of money .

Cons

Management is horrible. They treat you like a 10 year old. No respect at all from upper management. Lower tier managers , micro manage your work, they have no idea how to repair any machine but 3 will hang over you and try to tell you what to do. They are paper smart, Computer smart but they don't know what a 3/8 wrench is. They have never had their hands dirty !! EVER !! You are forced to work on holidays!!

BUY SOME PARTS !! There are no replacement parts on hand. We fix machines with rubber bands and tie wire sometimes. REALLY!! You can't make cans if there are "NO" parts to fix a machine. If a machine brakes down , you have to wait till they order a part. We have had a machine down for 3 days because the part was not there .Ridiculous !! We were told that upgrades on the plant will cost 37 million dollars, but I can't get a 25 cent part ??? Fill out a requisition form in triplicate , submit it to management and you never hear another word. Safety doors are tied shut with rages and rubber bands !!!

Nice company

I have been working at Silgan Containers

Pros

Good company, large company that is run like a small one, nice people, innovative, long term employees, fair compensation.

Cons

Old values, not very progressive working environment, expect a lot out of employees, hours can be very long and trying, old school

Boulder rolling downhill...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time

Pros

Good pay and you get 4 days on and 4 days off, "technically". Cannot really think of much else.

Cons

HELP!! Upper management will avoid eye contact with employees and never even say a simple "hello". Though they have never been mechanics the really seem to know everything, and yet the place is getting worse and worse every day. Plant manager will throw things in fits of rage, unable to speak with due to disconnect with regular employees. Have never witness a place with such low moral among regular hourly employees. There does not seem to be much hope for this place, sad to say. Management wants the place the run but refuses to provide simple parts to keep machines running, let alone fix something that is broken. They want more and more product and add more and more work but refuse to provide enough staff to keep up with the work load. There is ZERO incentive to go the extra mile. Employees are never rewarded and are constantly being berated by upper management. We are only numbers! Training is NON EXISTANT. You are thrown to the wolves and expected to learn on your own. It is extremely hot in the summer months and EXTREMELY COLD in the winter time. Be prepared to be forced in on holidays and work lots of overtime.

Too little too late. Fake apologies only make things worse. This place is broken and it needs fixing.

Disrespected and treated like a machine for over ten years.

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

not many! maybe the parking.

Cons

Having to work for upper manangement that has no concept that the people doing the work are human beings and the companys best asset.

Corporate! Pay attention! Clean house from the caveman perspective that is currantly running the Edison plant. Get us back to full productivity and improve the morale of all the workers. The full potential of this plant will never be realized untill this condecending culture is changed. The ball is in your court corporate...Do something!

Sinking Ship

Current Employee - Line Mechanic in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent pay, Decent benefits, Close to home, 4 on 4 off schedule. Union shop

Cons

Upper management is inexperienced and they treat all employees like children. The upper managment comes on the floor throwing stuff, tools, parts, peoples personal belongings they have no respect for their employees. If their is a safety issue brought up to management instead of fixing the problem they just send you home for expressing your concern. They are putting 25 million dollars plus into this plant and we are making less product than ever before. And on top of that they sell more product than we can possibly make so we are forced to work every holiday including Christmas. This is a multi million dollar company that can't buy $.50 parts because its not in the budget. Doors are held together with rags and rubber bands. Safety switches are bypassed because we can't afford any in this months budget. They create more and more quality checks because we send bad products, we wouldn't send bad product if we had parts to fix the machines. Just added a lot of new equipment and still have the same amount of people with double the amount of quality checks at some point some things gotta give. Were are doing the work of 5 people with only 2 and they wonder why we have so many issues. They say fill out a requisition form and you will get what you need hmmm fill one out and wait 8 months you might get what you need. We are also at the point now where speaking English is optional and Spanish is mandatory. We can't train any of the new employees because none of them speak English. And when we can communicate with new hires the training program is non existant they must learn on their own.

Restructure upper managment in our plant, we have the talent to succed but are being held back. Create a real training program for new hires. And buy some spare parts

Make good money but thats about it

Current Employee - Line Mechanic in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Money is decent for the area, but we only get paid good because it is a UNION shop. 4 on 4 off schedule is nice if you actually get your days off. Benefits are ok also.

Cons

Many mandatory extra days. We get forced to work most holidays incuding Christmas because coporate sells more cans than we can ever make. When upper managment is on the floor they throw things, parts, tools cans, peoples personal belongings. They hav e no respect for their employees at all. Safety is only important if it does not affect production. If someone has a potential safety concern and brings it up to the managment they just send that person home and have someone else do the job instead. Most of the newer people dont speak English causing a major training barrier in a training program that is already lacking. once you know how to start a machine your training is complete and everything else you must learn on your own. We have many machines down for days at a time because we have no parts to fix anything. we are adding lots of new equipment but making less and less product because the manning we have is not sufficient for the amount of work we need to do on a daily basis.

Do a surprise visit and talk to all the employess 1 on 1 and find out what REALLY happens at the plant. Get a better training program for new mechanics. Buy spare parts

Fun, loving, and versatile place to work.

Current Employee - Quality Assurance and forming operator in Union, MO
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance and forming operator in Union, MO

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If I would have known that I was going to love working at Silgan, I would have filled out an application when I turned 18.

Cons

I wish people could see how good we got it.

Keep up the good work. I definitely give you 5 stars.

Not bad

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time

Pros

Good pay and job stability

Cons

Employees are overworked most of the time.

Gets worse n worse as the days go on.

Current Employee - Mechanic in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Mechanic in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent wages and 4 on 4 off schedule when they dont force you in.

Cons

This place is run very poorly.. management thinks they know everything but never done the jobs them self.. Everything looks great on paper but doesnt mean it works.. try askin the "employees" sometime.. they make it work every day... duhhhhh. They couldnt manage a 4yr olds bday party.. have 21 machines and no parts.. but expect you to polish a turd into a diamond. Running the worst coolant in the country and pure garbage for oil thru the 21 machines that have no parts to fix when the garbage oil destroys the bearing.. GENIUS.. they never listen to the venders on how their products should be run.. cause SILGAN management knows best.. thats why edison plant runs like crap.. they need to stop tryin to cut every corner.. its the cost of doin business before its outta business.. how do you buy a half a million dollar machine or more and the company voids ur warrantee cause your running garbage oil thru it.. whats it gonna take to wake up and see the light!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean what kinda plant has a UPPER MANAGEMENT THAT GETS SENT TO ANGER MANAGEMENT TRAINING CAUSE THEY FLIPS OUT LIKE A SPOIL BRATS CAUSE THE PLANT DOESNT RUN SOME TIMES.. BUY SOME DAMM PARTS..added 8 million dollars to the plant in 2 years n running worse n worse numbers as the days go on.. Priceless cause the engineers know it all...

This is Union American plant..Hire Americans that speak English.. this isnt a 3rd world country, but sure is starting too look like it inside the plant.. shame on you!!!!!!!

Good pay but overworked

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job Stability and good pay

Cons

Didn't like the swing shift hours