Silgan Containers Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Thomas Snyder

Pros
  • 4 on 4 off schedule is nice if you actually get your days off (in 3 reviews)

• Decent wages and 4 on 4 off schedule when they dont force you in (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is inexperienced and they treat all employees like children (in 7 reviews)

• We get forced to work most holidays incuding Christmas because coporate sells more cans than we can ever make (in 4 reviews)

1. process Technician

Former Employee - Process Technician in Woodstock, IL
    Former Employee - Process Technician in Woodstock, IL

I worked at Silgan Containers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

4 on 4 off shift. Normal Production facility

Cons

Management had no contact with the workers

Advice to Management

People who are on the floor make or break your numbers. Treat them with respect and put a bonus system in place.

Find something else!!

I worked at Silgan Containers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work/ life balance was good.

Cons

- terrible benefits - diversity was almost nonexistent - most of the day everyone was pretending to be busy - coworkers were anti-social and talk behind your back. - no matter if you slack off or work hard, the potential to move up is very low. - lack of talent primarily due to the above causing mgmt to hire a lot of temp workers.

Advice to Management

Make Friday jeans day like every other company and promote diversity throughout company.

Indiana plant

I have been working at Silgan Containers

Pros

Showed me how a company can have total disregard for employees and their families

Cons

No work / life balance!!!!!! Hostile work environment. Mgmt yells, belittles & just plainly a BULLY!!!! Upper management is even worse! Luckily it's a union plant. Also, stop hiring friends of workers. I know people who would have loved to interview for a couple of open positions, but job never was posted. New hires are friends of current employees.....talk about favoritism!

Advice to Management

Benefits suck, pay even worse! Supervisors expected to work well beyond their times. Same ole BS.... Good ole boys club! Favoritism is BIG HERE! If you one of the few people a supervisor likes, you can get away with anything.

Under appreciated, technical debt dinosaur and not challenged

Former Employee - Senior Web Applications Developer in Oconomowoc, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Web Applications Developer in Oconomowoc, WI

I worked at Silgan Containers (More than a year)

Pros

The twenty word minimum is forcing me to type something, but truthfully -- there are some good people "stuck" there. It was good meeting them.

Cons

Not flexible hours. Management who only cares about their position but not their team. A raise that was laughable.

Advice to Management

Listen to their team. Fight for their team. Support their team. Be part of the team...

6. Overall, my experience was fantastic. I learned from who I believe to be- the BEST in the business.

I worked at Silgan Containers full-time

Pros

It's a class act. Smart colleagues. Elite technology. Very methodical. Paternalistic for the most part. Meaningful work.

Cons

Sometimes their own biases can get in their way of doing the right thing with People.

Advice to Management

It would be for them ALL to value the differences in people. I would also suggest that they mix it up a little. A mix of all generations, gender, ages, and more at the executive level can only lead to new and innovative ideas. Lastly, I would suggest that they not leverage positions or titles for personal agenda.

Interesting.. Good old boy system in full effect.

I have been working at Silgan Containers

Pros

Stable.. Once in you are stable OK pay.. Could be higher for experienced employees Some training.. Willing to train in new areas

Cons

benefits stink.. Health and dental are a horrible package Hours.. Consistency is not easy to come by in the company. Promote on accomplishments not on the good-old boy system.

Advice to Management

start to care a little more about the employees and the benefits provided. The minimum is not enough anymore.

8. ok

I have been working at Silgan Containers

Pros

Good company pay.benefits, cool employees

Cons

long hrs, not enough family time. So it can hurt your family life..which sucks

9. Good old fashioned American company

Current Employee - Manager in Woodland Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Woodland Hills, CA

I have been working at Silgan Containers

Pros

Stable and secure company with lots of opportunity for professional growth and for building long term career. Multiple locations across the US and management is willing to relocate. State of the art manufacturing plants. Nice, down to earth folks. No nonsense manufacturing company.

Cons

Wages, salaries and benefits are x-below average. Tight budgets barely leave fat on the bone.

Advice to Management

Motivate staff by recognizing with meaningful acts those who go above and beyond the call of duty.

Its like pounding a square peg into a round hole...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Being able to clock out each day

Cons

Extremely stressful place to work. No parts to fix any machines, not even bolts. More time is spent on searching for parts that we do not have. Hard to breathe many times inside plant. Constantly exposed to toxic fumes and upper management plays dumb when it is brought up. Silgan in Edison cannot even keep an HR rep hired. It is no wonder when you deal with the upper management like they have here. They have meetings about issues brought up on this site yet all we get is the email address for the plant manager...gee...thanks. I could rather submit a complaint to animal excrement and would get better results. Complaints fall on deaf ears and this place is sinking fast. Recent upgrades = Less production and working every holiday. Forcing good employees to look for careers elsewhere. Constantly running understaffed and forcing employees in on holidays. Extremely HOT in summer time and very cold in winter. Employees are punished for upper management mishaps. No incentive to give 100% each day. Broken heater/AC in breakroom more than it actually works. Locker rooms and bathrooms stink like you know what and bathrooms are rarely cleaned and kept up....and the locker rooms are NEVER cleaned. I'll stay away thanks.

Advice to Management

The employees are who make the company run, NOT upper management. Thanks for the microwave and cheap elementary school cafeteria table. Maybe upper management should concentrate their efforts elsewhere other than our lunch room (which is the least of our problems). Listen to employees...there is a reason people have resorted to this website and not someones e-mail address.

11. Pleasant work environment

I have been working at Silgan Containers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very encouraging friendly management that willing to help you succeed in any way possible as long as you do your part and put in your effort. Lots of room to learn many new and different things.

Cons

better lunch options on special occassions :)

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

RSS Feed </> Embed