Silicon Graphics International

Updated October 17, 2014
3.1

Silicon Graphics International President & CEO Jorge L. Titinger
Jorge L. Titinger

Pros
  • Great culture, people and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• SGI is a great place to work if you like to be on the edge of supercomputing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • we felt that upper management slightly lost control for a bit (in 5 reviews)

• This totally misses the point that employees have made investments in SGI also (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Interesting but could have been more challenging.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Longmont, CO

I worked at Silicon Graphics International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management was friendly and helpful in regards to an up and coming engineering intern. Products were unique and interesting once created.

Cons

Work was very one directional, rarely left my desk. I believe that being involved in a more serious capacity would have remedied this issue though.

Direction is in flux

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milpitas, CA

I worked at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My local management was great. The work was good and they gave us what we needed.

Cons

These are difficult times and the execs are having difficulty finding the right direction.

Unfocused but Arrogant

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Longmont, CO

I worked at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good co-workers, potentially interesting problems

Cons

Management was completely clueless. The primary problem was that products were developed as slideware with little or no control over what was promised. Then, having promised the sky, moon, and stars, the pressure was on to build something -- but what that something was changed almost at whim. This meant software that attempted to target constantly changing platform requirements and uncontrollable pie-in-the-sky goals.

At this point it's probably obviated, since SGI shut the local office down, but in general, find a focused idea of your product, build it, and THEN make promises.

Silicon Graphics shot itself in the foot

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good product with market potential

Cons

Poor management who didn't have a clue

Listen to your employees and customers

Good company to work for.

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Many challenges and new products.

Cons

Growth depends on sales and competition.

Continue to support the field.

Incredibly fun place to work!

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are the cream of the crop. Everyone's happy to sit down with you and explain or discuss an issue. It's very laid back and some meetings are 90% jokes. The schedule is very relaxed and everyone comes and goes as they please. There's a great walking path near the office. There's also an ergonomics specialist that comes by once a quarter who helps you adjust your work space and address any issues you have. As well, the desks and chairs are fully customizable. Time off is goal oriented and there's no limit outside of reasonable frequency restrictions.

Cons

The work is challenging, but rewarding. There're no free drinks or snacks in the break areas.

SGI provides leading edge technology in hardware and software and storage.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hardworking and talented teams of software folks with a good environment for technical work.

Cons

Raises and compensation for employees has been disappointing the last several years.
    There have also been work force reductions and pay cuts in the past.

I don't know that I agree with some of the changes management has made. You end up with something different, but not necessarily better. Seems like some large investments
    have been made in process changes, acquisitions, outsourcing, facility moves, layoffs, new executives, and other fads and we will all have to trust that the decisions are sound and will benefit SGI in the end?

A very troubled company with a great storied past. SGI has spun off more billion dollar than any other failing company.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Milpitas, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Milpitas, CA

Pros

Great people, great customers very poor management and no business process. Product quality is declining rapidly.

Cons

Poor, autocratic management that has no respect for the employees. The standard answer to complainers these days is 'If you don't like it then leave.' This totally misses the point that employees have made investments in SGI also.

Cut the management overhead to reduce costs. Start listening to what employees have to say. Develop some respect for others in the company and come to the realization that you are not the only valuable employees in the company.

Excellent management, great products, easy to work remote, good compensation. Overall great place to work at.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The technology is great, people are smart and fun to work with, many are long time very experienced employees. The company invests in constant training and supportive of the workforce.

Cons

Overall the focus is HPC, that market isn't growing and also constantly becoming more competitive. So it was hard to close deals and make good money as a sales rep, especially for those not focused on FED market.

The only way to justify the premium prices is to have premium products. Keep investing in the hardware and software and listen to your customers and employees.

Data entry level

Former Employee - Customer Services in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Services in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Silicon Graphics International part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

would to grow with company

Cons

to see myself as team player

assistant to the manger

Silicon Graphics International Photos

Silicon Graphics of yore (Photo thanks to Flickr user Terry Chay, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo