Silicon Graphics International

Updated October 17, 2014
3.1

Silicon Graphics International President & CEO Jorge L. Titinger
Jorge L. Titinger

Pros
  • Great culture, people and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• SGI is a great place to work if you like to be on the edge of supercomputing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • we felt that upper management slightly lost control for a bit (in 5 reviews)

• This totally misses the point that employees have made investments in SGI also (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for.

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Many challenges and new products.

Cons

Growth depends on sales and competition.

Continue to support the field.

Incredibly fun place to work!

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff Design in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My coworkers are the cream of the crop. Everyone's happy to sit down with you and explain or discuss an issue. It's very laid back and some meetings are 90% jokes. The schedule is very relaxed and everyone comes and goes as they please. There's a great walking path near the office. There's also an ergonomics specialist that comes by once a quarter who helps you adjust your work space and address any issues you have. As well, the desks and chairs are fully customizable. Time off is goal oriented and there's no limit outside of reasonable frequency restrictions.

Cons

The work is challenging, but rewarding. There're no free drinks or snacks in the break areas.

Excellent management, great products, easy to work remote, good compensation. Overall great place to work at.

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The technology is great, people are smart and fun to work with, many are long time very experienced employees. The company invests in constant training and supportive of the workforce.

Cons

Overall the focus is HPC, that market isn't growing and also constantly becoming more competitive. So it was hard to close deals and make good money as a sales rep, especially for those not focused on FED market.

The only way to justify the premium prices is to have premium products. Keep investing in the hardware and software and listen to your customers and employees.

Great company, cool products, with customers that do interesting things!

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Cool products, and interesting customers. Smallish in size, which means you can make an impact on a daily basis, there's plenty of work, and a nice variety of work to be done. Enjoyed everyone I worked with and reported to. Great experience!

Cons

Their reputation in Silicon Valley. I don't know why they can't overcome their 'has been' reputation. They still make great HPC products that are extremely competitive and relevant.

Benefits package was not competitive when I was there, and I think they need to spend some serious money to turn around their brand image.

One of the best companies I've ever worked for...

Current Employee - Digital Media Solutions Engineer in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Digital Media Solutions Engineer in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time

Pros

Though I missed the "Golden Age" at SGI, it was still going strong(ish) when I arrived, seemed like every single person I met there was brilliant and industrious, just a great environment...

Cons

Well I don't really know what was up, but it seemed there was some lack of vision or something in upper management, the company seemed to just crumble in a matter of a couple years.

I suppose the same advice you can give to all upper management, money is not the focus, clearly seeing and adapting to the future is the priority, if you can't do it, move aside...

Field Service review

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Warwick, RI
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Warwick, RI

I worked at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule allows for balanced work / family life. Always had the backing of management. Committed to continued training. Customer first attitude. Leading edge technology.

Cons

Can be some long hours for difficult situations.

A great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chippewa Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chippewa Falls, WI

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

My time with SGI was one of my favorite companies. SGI was the kind of company one could feel proud to be part of. The company atmosphere is one that made you feel the company really cared about you.

Cons

SGI's constant financial stuggle wears down one's patience. No money means no training, no new HW, now new Systems, no new opportunities.

It's difficult time and circumstances. The guidance of good leadership can motive employees as well as customers. Keep the focus on finding how to recover.

Interesting but could have been more challenging.

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineering Intern in Longmont, CO

I worked at Silicon Graphics International as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Management was friendly and helpful in regards to an up and coming engineering intern. Products were unique and interesting once created.

Cons

Work was very one directional, rarely left my desk. I believe that being involved in a more serious capacity would have remedied this issue though.

SGI provides leading edge technology in hardware and software and storage.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Hardworking and talented teams of software folks with a good environment for technical work.

Cons

Raises and compensation for employees has been disappointing the last several years.
    There have also been work force reductions and pay cuts in the past.

I don't know that I agree with some of the changes management has made. You end up with something different, but not necessarily better. Seems like some large investments
    have been made in process changes, acquisitions, outsourcing, facility moves, layoffs, new executives, and other fads and we will all have to trust that the decisions are sound and will benefit SGI in the end?

Great place to work

Current Employee - Quality in Chippewa Falls, WI
    Current Employee - Quality in Chippewa Falls, WI

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful place to work with great people

Cons

Upper management getting heavy in numbers again

Listen to the people that do the job

Silicon Graphics International Photos

Silicon Graphics of yore (Photo thanks to Flickr user Terry Chay, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo