Silicon Graphics International

www.sgi.com

Silicon Graphics International Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
Silicon Graphics International – “Silicon Graphics of yore (Photo thanks to Flickr…”

Silicon Graphics International President & CEO Jorge L. Titinger

Jorge L. Titinger

Excellent management, great products, easy to work remote, good compensation. Overall great place to work at.

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe technology is great, people are smart and fun to work with, many are long time very experienced employees. The company invests in constant training and supportive of the workforce.

ConsOverall the focus is HPC, that market isn't growing and also constantly becoming more competitive. So it was hard to close deals and make good money as a sales rep, especially for those not focused on FED market.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only way to justify the premium prices is to have premium products. Keep investing in the hardware and software and listen to your customers and employees.

Great company, cool products, with customers that do interesting things!

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsCool products, and interesting customers. Smallish in size, which means you can make an impact on a daily basis, there's plenty of work, and a nice variety of work to be done. Enjoyed everyone I worked with and reported to. Great experience!

ConsTheir reputation in Silicon Valley. I don't know why they can't overcome their 'has been' reputation. They still make great HPC products that are extremely competitive and relevant.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits package was not competitive when I was there, and I think they need to spend some serious money to turn around their brand image.

One of the best companies I've ever worked for...

Digital Media Solutions Engineer (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThough I missed the "Golden Age" at SGI, it was still going strong(ish) when I arrived, seemed like every single person I met there was brilliant and industrious, just a great environment...

ConsWell I don't really know what was up, but it seemed there was some lack of vision or something in upper management, the company seemed to just crumble in a matter of a couple years.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suppose the same advice you can give to all upper management, money is not the focus, clearly seeing and adapting to the future is the priority, if you can't do it, move aside...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Field Service review

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Warwick, RI

ProsFlexible schedule allows for balanced work / family life. Always had the backing of management. Committed to continued training. Customer first attitude. Leading edge technology.

ConsCan be some long hours for difficult situations.

A great place to work

Senior Systems Administrator (Former Employee) Chippewa Falls, WI

ProsMy time with SGI was one of my favorite companies. SGI was the kind of company one could feel proud to be part of. The company atmosphere is one that made you feel the company really cared about you.

ConsSGI's constant financial stuggle wears down one's patience. No money means no training, no new HW, now new Systems, no new opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's difficult time and circumstances. The guidance of good leadership can motive employees as well as customers. Keep the focus on finding how to recover.

Great place to work

Quality (Current Employee) Chippewa Falls, WI

ProsWonderful place to work with great people

ConsUpper management getting heavy in numbers again

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people that do the job

The treated me well. Worked there for over a decade.

Technical Lead (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsCompetitive pay. Good coworkers. Interesting products.

ConsSome upper management strategy issues.

Advice to Senior Management360 reviews are vital!

Good, but it could be so much more

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chippewa Falls, WI

ProsGreat culture, people and work/life balance. Good pay and benefits, for the area.

ConsCash flow, sales and revenue is up and down. It's very dependent on one large customer and government business.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have people that can do the job, we just need the direction and follow through from the excutive team. Hold the "worker bees" more accountable and give them the responsibility to help move the company forward. SGI used to be "the company to work for," but it seems times have changed.

Great while it lasted

Member Technical Staff (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood work-life balance
    Fair to staff
    Frank about problems

ConsDownsizing and bankruptcies- not what it used to be

SGI was the best place I ever worked.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsInnovative company with very talented engineering team. The company is not as innovative as it once was, but still has good memory system architecture.

ConsManagement made poor decisions during the late 1990's that hurt the company for the next decade. It remains to be seen if a turnaround can be achieved after the acquisition by Rackable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the engineering team challenged with new innovations. Avoid commodity technology. Focus on memory system technology and large scale data processing.

Worked for Silicon Graphics International? Contribute to the Community!