Silicon Graphics International

Updated October 17, 2014
3.1

Silicon Graphics International President & CEO Jorge L. Titinger
Jorge L. Titinger

Pros
  • Great culture, people and work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• SGI is a great place to work if you like to be on the edge of supercomputing (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • we felt that upper management slightly lost control for a bit (in 5 reviews)

• This totally misses the point that employees have made investments in SGI also (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Changing from SGI to Rackable

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

When joining Silicon Graphics inc's visualization group, I was impressed by the future vision on visualization products, and the road map.

Cons

Once acquired by Rackable, everything changed. No more supports on visualization products. Cutting payment and planed to shift all job to oversea.

Can you image how difficult to visit 50 customers world wide in 3 months? Could the number become 100 next Q?

SGI experience

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at SGI.
    Good people and great place to work - until the layoffs start and ...

Cons

Layoffs.
    I really enjoyed my time at SGI
    Good people and great place to work - until the layoffs start and ...

Thankfully there is a new CEO now. Never had much faith in the old crew. The Viz path seemed too expensive

SGI used to be the company to work for.

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

I really enjoyed working for a company that was on the cutting edge of technology. I was proud to tell people where I worked and share with them some of the things our company accomplished and what our customers were using our systems for. SGI make some huge investments in tools and systems in order to enable us to become a very competitive Global player. These tools really allowed us to become very efficient and effective in our day to day routine. The other key factor was the support for training and mentoring to ensure that we were the best we could be.

Cons

The biggest down-side of working for SGI was the fact that for many years you were always looking over your shoulder and hoping not to be caught up the next round of a "Reduction in Force". SGI has been burning through cash at good clip for many years and it was dishearting when we all felt we had some solid products available. In my opinion we carried too many underproductive product sales reps for way too long, instead of cutting ties and bringing new talent. This also lead to SGI stock becoming worthless causing customers and employees to become upset with SGI management that allowed this to happen!

SGI has always been top heavy, some tough decisions need to be made to address the perception of reality of too many chiefs watching over the Indians.

SGI is not a good place to work

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

less politics, people are caring of each other. SGI culture seems to be there somewhat which is pretty good.

Cons

security, terriable career growth opportunity. SGI went through rounds and rounds of layoffs, starting from 1999. I think it is the fault of the management who are/were incompetent to be in the management positions. their biggest problem is how to do technology innovation, but it never really did anything after 1997. company executives come and go, each with his/her own agenda, and they do not last long enough to execute their strategies. That leaves a company going on a slow death. I feel very sorry for being there. it is a bad place to be.

do something drastic

SGI could be great again!

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Great company with great products. SGI was once known for awesome graphics systems, and continues to be a leader in enterprise computing, especially when it comes to high-performance computing clusters. It's good to see SGI be such a leader in the Linux community. They are also making real progress with storage as well.

Cons

Their Chapter 11 filing and subsequent problems gaining market share. However, they appear to be turning the corner on that now, and are beginning to win some major accounts. Even though SGI is all Linux-based now, they seem to not have a consistent story with which distribution they prefer (RedHat vs. SuSE).

Be SGI again - don't copy everyone else.

A great place to work - most of the time.

Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

When business is good, it is a great place to work.

Cons

When business is slow, layoffs and uncertainty abound.

Continue to treat people fairly, with respect, and valuing them as a company asset.

Good Company, Poor leadership

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Needham, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Needham, MA

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Job Flexibility - and good benefits

Cons

Lot's of hours, but very busy work.

Spend money on important opportunities

Culture has changed

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The people - there are some great and very clever people working in in the technical area of the company.
    The products - SGI still has a few cool products, and cool customers.

Cons

The culture seems to have become one where they want everyone to be "yes" people. This stifles innovation and pragmatic thinking and is dangerous for the company.

A nightmare

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing - this company is dying. Nice colleagues, but everybody is hopeless.

Cons

Everything. Product quality is a Desaster. Management cannot be worse. Money is lacking everywhere. No working processes, no support is available from senior Management.
    It is all about numbers, nothing else counts. Management is not interested in anything else, but delivery nothing to support

Close it, nobody Can save this company.

SGI in name only

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

A vestigial legacy of being one of the Valley's great companies.

Cons

How much of what made SGI great is still there?

Rekindle the magic that came along with the name you bought.

Silicon Graphics International Photos

Silicon Graphics of yore (Photo thanks to Flickr user Terry Chay, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo