Silicon Graphics International Reviews

1. Great while it lasted

Former Employee - Member Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Member Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Good work-life balance Fair to staff Frank about problems

Cons

Downsizing and bankruptcies- not what it used to be

2. SGI was the best place I ever worked.

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Innovative company with very talented engineering team. The company is not as innovative as it once was, but still has good memory system architecture.

Cons

Management made poor decisions during the late 1990's that hurt the company for the next decade. It remains to be seen if a turnaround can be achieved after the acquisition by Rackable.

Advice to Management

Keep the engineering team challenged with new innovations. Avoid commodity technology. Focus on memory system technology and large scale data processing.

3. Its a job

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Good people company finally making money Offices for most engineers Pretty much make your own work schedule

Cons

Work lots of hours Understaffed Many layoffs benefits are below average

Advice to Management

Hire back some of the folks you laid off over the past couple of years. Better benefit package.

5. Okay at employee level - shark infested waters at the executive level

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Good cooperation between organizations at the line manager level Flexible work schedule Generous stock awards Opportunity to expand career into new areas

Cons

Excessive amount of overtime Accountability is inconsistent Poor communication of the overall business plan Conflict and back stabbing at the executive level

Advice to Management

Executive conflict creates an environment of fear Plan and manage significant initiatives better Hire (pay) for growth and not just to meet today's needs

6. flex schedule.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

flex schedule. good managers. easy going co-workers.

Cons

operation overhead is too high.

Advice to Management

none.

Struggling to hold things together and prevent bankruptcy.

Current Employee - Engineering Tech Lead in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Engineering Tech Lead in Eagan, MN

I have been working at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Great product line potential with combination of Silicon Graphics high-end systems, SW, HPC customer base and experience brought together with Rackable's diverse commodity line, green computing, and data-center/web-provider installed base.

Cons

After exodus, layoffs, and massive internal politics, the ones now in charge just filling a vacuum, but don't have the leadership, innovation, or background to move forward at the pace SGI famous for in the past -- lots of land grabbing and empire building, reorganization generating lot of disorganization, behind closed doors plotting, and back stabbing. The ones around that 'do' have experience and vision are brushed aside since company wants followers not leaders. Company's struggling on the inside and dysfunctional. Glad I don't work there any more.

Advice to Management

The executive management team and people the CEO would expect to trust provide input that sounds fine on the surface, but solving the either problems that don't really exist or the wrong ones -- their really doing what's best for themselves at the expense of what's best for the company almost always based on mis-perceptions and/or erroneous info. This had led to colossal mistakes and poor decisions.

8. A great place to work

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chippewa Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Chippewa Falls, WI

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

My time with SGI was one of my favorite companies. SGI was the kind of company one could feel proud to be part of. The company atmosphere is one that made you feel the company really cared about you.

Cons

SGI's constant financial stuggle wears down one's patience. No money means no training, no new HW, now new Systems, no new opportunities.

Advice to Management

It's difficult time and circumstances. The guidance of good leadership can motive employees as well as customers. Keep the focus on finding how to recover.

9. Changing from SGI to Rackable

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

When joining Silicon Graphics inc's visualization group, I was impressed by the future vision on visualization products, and the road map.

Cons

Once acquired by Rackable, everything changed. No more supports on visualization products. Cutting payment and planed to shift all job to oversea.

Advice to Management

Can you image how difficult to visit 50 customers world wide in 3 months? Could the number become 100 next Q?

10. SGI experience

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

I really enjoyed my time at SGI. Good people and great place to work - until the layoffs start and ...

Cons

Layoffs. I really enjoyed my time at SGI Good people and great place to work - until the layoffs start and ...

Advice to Management

Thankfully there is a new CEO now. Never had much faith in the old crew. The Viz path seemed too expensive

11. SGI used to be the company to work for.

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

I really enjoyed working for a company that was on the cutting edge of technology. I was proud to tell people where I worked and share with them some of the things our company accomplished and what our customers were using our systems for. SGI make some huge investments in tools and systems in order to enable us to become a very competitive Global player. These tools really allowed us to become very efficient and effective in our day to day routine. The other key factor was the support for training and mentoring to ensure that we were the best we could be.

Cons

The biggest down-side of working for SGI was the fact that for many years you were always looking over your shoulder and hoping not to be caught up the next round of a "Reduction in Force". SGI has been burning through cash at good clip for many years and it was dishearting when we all felt we had some solid products available. In my opinion we carried too many underproductive product sales reps for way too long, instead of cutting ties and bringing new talent. This also lead to SGI stock becoming worthless causing customers and employees to become upset with SGI management that allowed this to happen!

Advice to Management

SGI has always been top heavy, some tough decisions need to be made to address the perception of reality of too many chiefs watching over the Indians.

RSS Feed </> Embed