Silicon Graphics International Reviews

1. Great while it lasted

Former Employee - Member Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Member Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

Good work-life balance
    Fair to staff
    Frank about problems

Cons

Downsizing and bankruptcies- not what it used to be

2. SGI used to be the company to work for.

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Silicon Graphics International

Pros

I really enjoyed working for a company that was on the cutting edge of technology. I was proud to tell people where I worked and share with them some of the things our company accomplished and what our customers were using our systems for. SGI make some huge investments in tools and systems in order to enable us to become a very competitive Global player. These tools really allowed us to become very efficient and effective in our day to day routine. The other key factor was the support for training and mentoring to ensure that we were the best we could be.

Cons

The biggest down-side of working for SGI was the fact that for many years you were always looking over your shoulder and hoping not to be caught up the next round of a "Reduction in Force". SGI has been burning through cash at good clip for many years and it was dishearting when we all felt we had some solid products available. In my opinion we carried too many underproductive product sales reps for way too long, instead of cutting ties and bringing new talent. This also lead to SGI stock becoming worthless causing customers and employees to become upset with SGI management that allowed this to happen!

SGI has always been top heavy, some tough decisions need to be made to address the perception of reality of too many chiefs watching over the Indians.

Silicon Graphics International Photos

Silicon Graphics of yore (Photo thanks to Flickr user Terry Chay, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo