Silicon Laboratories

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Silicon Laboratories President & CEO Tyson Tuttle

Tyson Tuttle

17 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very rewarding company to intern with

MCU Marketing (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat location in downtown Austin. I was given very rewarding work which had real impacts on the company as a whole, and was able to influence the specific projects I worked on. The team was great and extremely helpful. It was obvious they had my best intentions in mind the entire time.

ConsPay was slightly lower than other tech companies. The business changed a lot during a few pretty major acquisitions, but that's to be expected.

Poor leadership and management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsBrilliant community of engineers. Outstanding products and committment to perfection. Downtown location is a fun environment.

ConsThe new CEO is arrogant and lacks the qualifications of a true and respected CEO. If the current trend continues, the company will continue to lose the talent aquired over the years.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the CEO

Great place that values employees

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSilicon Labs does a great job of retaining employees. The workload is challenging, but the rewards are there, both in the work, and in the compensation. The downtown location in Austin is most definitely a perk, and the company is a great part of the downtown vibe.

ConsThere have been periods of changes consequent to various business activities, and it almost seems as they are becoming part of the business itself. But these are rooted in maintaining a strong business, and a successful business.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I did a summer intern at Silabs in Austin

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI gained very good experience with analog discrete circuit design. The mentors and managers were very helpful and nice.

ConsIf you work in Austin, the local weather there is not very pleasant. It can get really hot during summer times

This place was very nice.

Contract IC Layout Designer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsLaid back atmosphere. Easy going, technical company. Nice balance of workload. They are very smart individuals. They seem to care greatly about their impact on the world.

ConsDon't really know how long you are going to get to stay as a contract worker.

Learned a lot, excellent team

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsEveryone is very friendly and always there to help.
    Flexible work hours.
    Awesome office

Cons-- -- None for me.

Great people

(Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery talented engineering, marketing and sales staff. Very little politics, generally very cooperative environment that makes it easy to work accross organizational boundaries. Great offices and location beside Town Lake. Exempt staff get individual walled offices with doors, senior staff get window offiices.

ConsToo many re-orgs in the last couple of years have resulted in a lot of significant and valuable employees (VPs, directors, senior staff) getting terminated. A number of highly respected people who have made significant contributions have lost their jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThese terminations of key people could have a negative impact on loyalty and diminish motivation to get promoted.

Overall, lots of learning opportunity but getting promoted would be a little bit difficult.

Design Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsOpen communication; people with excellent technical skills.

ConsA bit difficult to get promoted; design review could get extremely intense.

Good place to work but not as good as it once was.

Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe company really has a lot of great people with decent pay and benefits.

ConsThe biggest CON has to be with the executive management, primarily with the new CEO, Tyson Tuttle. He seems to be in way over his head. He is basically a condescending, rude, micro-manager. The best proof of this can be seen in the fact that several of his direct reports have left in the last year. I had much more faith in the company before he took over. In general the employee base is not impressed and no one seems to know what the board was thinking in making the change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to manage is this… quit destroying the average employee bonus with acquisitions that never seem to live up to the hype the targets sell you guys on.

Application Engineer

Applications Engineer (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsNice building. Austin is a great place. People are friendly and helpful.

ConsIt's growing. Lots of steps to get a job.

Worked for Silicon Laboratories? Contribute to the Community!