Silicon Valley Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker

Greg Becker

Pros
  • Good people, very focused on their employees and work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• good benefits, interesting work(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • They've taken the "Client First" mantra to the extreme where there is no work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Its too late in IT, its to damaged thanks to the depredations of the new CIO(in 7 reviews)

not so friendly environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosalmost stressless, light working load

Consunfriendly people and depressing environment

Advice to Senior Managementcheer things up a littles

Great place to learn, bad place to stay.

Mid Level to Senior Management (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsIf your interest is the technology, life science and venture capital space, you can learn a lot here and gain great exposure to these sectors. Ability to learn an interact generally and specifically with these sectors is reason enough to work here. The bank has build up a tremendous amount of traction over the last 20 years, working here opens a lot of doors in these sectors. If you come here to be a 'banker', realize this is not a typical bank in a lot of ways. Their 'Guiding Principles' are a great thing to emulate anywhere you work, they focus on honesty, integrity, ethics, focus on the client.

ConsFor a long time I felt SVB was a meritocracy. The group you are in may be very siloed from other groups, but you can distinguish yourself with hard work and a little luck. I got to understand early that certain groups and individuals would be waiting for you to trip up, (and seeing how they could help make that so) but if you don't trip up, you would succeed. It's a bet I think many others would be willing to take.

Having decompressed from the culture for a few years I learned two things:
    1) having to watch your back is not a normal work environment...it's just not
    2) SVB wasn't large enough to be so siloed, that was just a consequence of the culture. Functional groups can actually work together willingly and collaboratively. They should.

I can only speak definitively to culture created by Greg Becker and his steering committee, but the meritocracy thing definitively and permanently ends once you are in the top 5-10% of the bank. At that point, up is down, black is white and personal politics drive a remarkable amount of strategy. HR is the executor of senior management's will, and great lengths will be taken to achieve that will.

Lastly, you will not find this a place where speaking up is terribly encouraged. Vision comes from on high and nowhere else. Very different from even 5 years ago. Those who don't buy in or feel compelled to question, they do so at their peril.

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge to current employees that SVB's internally vaunted Guiding Principles have not applied to current management except when convenient. This is staff's perception today. It would benefit the bank long term to:
    1) Work to elevate people who have actually emulated those principles,
    2) Jettison those who have risen with behavior antithetic to those principles. There is no mistaking who these people are, and their rank within SVB causes a lot of cognitive dissonance when employees go back and read the aforementioned Principles.

Great Company!!!!

Consultant (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsWork Life Balance, Great Culture, Career Mobility.

ConsHard to get in as a full time employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better structure for keeping internal contract employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

wonderful culture - great place to work

Proslove working with the diverse set of clients

Consfast paced environment - need to be able to handle the challenges

Great place for contractors as well

ProsBeautiful surroundings. Professional people. Everyone I work with is genuinely nice and cooperative.

ConsI am a temp so this does not really apply to me. I think people work very hard here and overtime as well so free time may be an issue for some.

Good medium size bank with great culture

Team Lead Software Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsIts good medium size bank with great culture. Benefits are great and overall they treat their employee well. The Bank is well know within start-up/pre-IPO community. They provide and encourage technical training for their employee. Technology theu use is cutting edge and they refresh it often.

ConsToo much favoritism and nepotism with the IT dept. Many Sr manager are not that experience. Overall morale is low in the dept. Too many jobs getting outsource (same story everywhere)

Great place to work!

Analyst (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

Pros-Tempe operation top notch, great vibe and the two senior mangers running it are genuine & competent. If you take a job here, get based there!
    -Focused group of banking professionals, they stick with what they know best and avoid risky adventures.
    -Exciting global opportunities for the right candidates
    -New IT culture taking root--incompetent Snr. Managers are gone for the most part and the organization is being consolidated and revamped.

Cons-Executive level seems to not get along well. Plenty of games, don't get to close to the sun.
    -Going global--while also positive, company is learning its lessons

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing however pull together as a tighter One SVB team at the top.

Great culture, compelling niche, but uneven mix of mid-level managers

Managing Director (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

ProsDefinitely earns its reputation for being a great place to work: supportive /team-focused culture, excellent benefits, surprisingly philanthropic, and a v.low "douche bag" quotient. Plus, dominates the tech / life science banking sector which seems to grow thru every economic downturn

ConsThe downside to a great culture is that nobody ever leaves. Its amazing how many people have been at the bank 10, 15, 20 years! This had led to a disappointing concentration of "B" players at the middle ranks of the company, which seriously limits the ability of the more promising people to be promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to fire a few people. A few bad apples really will spoil the lot.

Good company with competitive compensation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosvery goood compensation; opportuntiy to learn a lot

Conshard to get in;long interview process

Top company, great appreciation for employees.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsAmazing senior management. Fun, edgy company. Small enough for your accomplishments to be noticed and appreciated. Gives back to the community.

ConsHeadquarters has a stiff environment.

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!