Silicon Valley Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker

Greg Becker

Pros:
  • "Good people, very focused on their employees and work life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "good benefits, interesting work"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "They've taken the "Client First" mantra to the extreme where there is no work-life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Management doesn't really listen to those who don't fully drink the Kool-Aid"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

SVB has a god complex...

Associate II (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

ProsGood insurance plan and benefits. The name looks good on your business card or resume in the technology and start-up world.

ConsGet paid commercial banking dollars while being pushed to work investment banking hours. It also seems as if 'urgency' has been turned into 'crisis' all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR and Management need to reconcile the strategy differences in compensation. I was always told the official targets by HR, but it was never reflected in my discussions and actions with management.

A roller coaster of experiences

Business Initiative Manager (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

Prosflexibility
great benefits
always something new
great respect to our clients

Consbank mentality - this could be good sometimes though

Advice to Senior Managementkeep rocking!

Great place to work

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
Newton, MA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

ProsGreat culture and people. We work hard and play hard.

ConsThe Boston office is not too large so there are limited opportunities as you move up in your career.

Do not work here

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank

ProsThe staff are wonderful, try hard, care, and are like family. Everyone works 80+ hours to get the job done.

ConsThis is for IT Project Management. They have a "framework" that is "flexible". But when you try to deviate from the framework, they say you can't do it. The framework has "stage gates" that impede on project delivery. If one document isn't completed, you fail your stage gate and progress cannot continue. They require live signatures, then you physically scan the document, and save it on a shared drive. Ever heard of esignatures and SharePoint?!? I felt like I was working for a company back in 1980, not "Silicon" Valley Bank. Then they generate a "red" list for every project that is late, even though the process was the one that made it late. And the list is frequently incorrect with the wrong PM assignment on it. If you miss one milestone, management will come down hard on you with a series of meetings all the while, you told management three months ago of the issue and they did nothing about it. FINGER POINTING CULTURE. Some people work from home or work alternative schedules but when you ask to work from home because someone died or you have the flu, the answer is no. Inconsistent policies. Worse, after all this, they frequently have announcements like "good news, I took away one required doc you have to fill out" "but I added four new ones you have to do". What kind of good news is that? Then they "grandfather" required documents "starting today and for all project three years ago". So resources scramble to meet the audit instead of focusing on delivering the project. Again, management comes down on you for working overtime or not meeting your dates when they are the obstacle to begin with. It's a no win situation. I've not learned anything during my time there that is marketable. It was a waste of my career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want projects to succeed, stop grandfathering requirements for projects that are closed. If folks raise an issue, help us resolve it, not just ask "did you do everything in your power to resolve this before wasting my time?" Of course! Sending one email explaining a 35 step process doesn't mean we understand it and when a question is asked, don't say how dumb we are. Be consistent with policies. It's very obvious who is the favorite.

Great experience on the UK Branch program. Management restructuring not so good.

Senior IT Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank

ProsThere are really great people that do the day-to-day work. The company is very selective about hiring the best people they can find.

ConsThe defined processes can be overkill and should be streamlined. IT project managers should be able to provide very loose milestone dates until more is known about all the interdependent tasks and about external influences on the projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementPortfolio managers should not be directly involved in projects. They have program managers between them and the project managers to handle that. I'm not sure why portfolio managers AND program managers are required. Seems a little management heavy.

The people are great.

Relationship Manager (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

ProsOne of the best reasons is the flexibility. The management team is also good at communicating most of the important information to employees.

ConsNot everyone is qualified to be in their current positions and with the market the way it's trending their skills (or lack thereof) will show.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo the management team: know that compensation is generally below market so stay flexible and keep up the positive culture.

IT Department sucks!

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

ProsGood benefits package. Smart CIO. Flexible work hours.

ConsToo much politics
Sr. Mgmt incompetent and un-trustworthy
No work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementCIO needs to complete revamp his Sr. Mgmt team. They are extremely political, and do not inspire trust. All of them have their own agenda's, which completely screws rest of the organization. They just know how to 'talk' smart, but are full of BS.

Good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood employees
Unique business model
Work Life Balance

ConsPay not as good as larger banks

good and challenging

San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

Prosopportunity to learn and to continue to hone in skill building set

ConsToo many initiatives with limited number of staffs

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on talent development

Very challenging at first but little room for self/professional development.

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

ProsThe people here are great! The environment is very easy-going and laid back. Very different from a lot of IT/Commercial Banks within the area

ConsChanges are hard to implement, even if it is for improvement purpose.
The politics of getting something as simple as training started, just took a lot more time that it's worth.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the company's vision as well as departmental visions are clearly stated for all employees. With a unified business vision, all the managers can work toward the same goal instead of withholding information/support to serve self-interest.

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Silicon Valley Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Silicon Valley Bank CEO Greg Becker. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by Silicon Valley Bank employees.