Silicon Valley Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker

Greg Becker

Pros:
  • "Good people, very focused on their employees and work life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "good benefits, interesting work"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "They've taken the "Client First" mantra to the extreme where there is no work-life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Management doesn't really listen to those who don't fully drink the Kool-Aid"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Summer Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
Newton, MA

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe company atmosphere was very fun and the people are interesting and easy to work with. Everyone was willing to help and answer my questions. I participated in a lot of out of office activities and community service. It was an overall great experience

ConsSometimes a little boring, but I think this was because they are slow in the summer.

Was a great place, too political with new CIO

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits
Awesome time away from work policy
Cutting edge technology

ConsIncompetent CIO, doesnt understand IT. Hasnt managed teams of this size, partners, vendors before. In turn, promotes incompetent leadership team members, who are very political and here just to build an empire. Taken more than 8 months to complete a re-org, called 'IT Transformation'. Taken a fully functioning team and completely shaken up the house. Impossible to get anything accomplished in this environment. Operations is probably the worst place to be in with very manipulative leadership. Given lot more power to folks that have no track record of getting anything across the finish line. Time to move on.

Advice to Senior ManagementCIO should review track record of leadership team before making decisions that everyone knows will fail. Hear the folks on the ground, rather than just sucking up to business. Need to get your own house in order first.

I would not recommend this company to an IT engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank as a contractor for less than a year

ProsIf you are looking for a career in finance and banking, this is a good place because SVB is primarily an investment bank, and not a retail bank. For this same reason, there is never a *stressful* push to continuously improve the IT function, add more features or fix the less critical bugs - primary interaction with customers is by customer facing employees. In that respect, life for an IT engineer is relatively stress-free.

ConsIT dept is chaotic and has not enough SVB people - a lot of IT functions are outsourced to multiple agencies with consequent lack of interest in working together and unhealthy politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is OK to hire SVB people who are then motivated and incented to work for the bank, and do not owe their loyalty to their hiring agencies.

Growing bank

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSVB gives the opportunity to work in a high growth Bank. The comp and Ben is very good and the people are very friendly with strong integrity.

ConsAs with growing companies the infrastructure is still catching up and resources are limited. There are not too many internal opportunities to grow as the Mid-Senior Management does not change.

Stay away from the internal audit department!

Senior Internal Audit Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsAbove average benefits & compensation
Unique niche
Location
Most of the people outside of internal audit are cooperative

ConsInternal audit department is one of the worst departments to work for in SVB. The team comprises of Caucasian male managers and Asian female staff. Teams are managed by fear and intimidation. There is no guidance, mentoring or coaching from any of the managers. Head of internal audit has an objective to force at least two employees to quit each year. In the 7 years that he has been on the job 14 people have quit the group. The size of the internal audit team is 10.

Outside of internal audit, if you are on the lending side you can have a defined career path depending on your networking skills. Having a parent that is connected to the startup ecosystem is a prerequisite for success.

SVB executive management is stacked with Greg Becker's followers. As expected, this leads to a single point of view which is good if it's the right view.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership cannot be delegated
Stop treating corporate functions like internal audit as necessary evil that are needed for regulators and audit committee

SVB has lost its luster; management is seriously disconnected

Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBenefits, life/work balance, employees are generally happy to be there

ConsWhen minor mistakes are made, it becomes a blame game, finger-pointing environment. Some bad managers are making things worse. Employees are afraid to say anything because of the backlash. They are being thrown under the bus.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to pay attention. Bad managers are being promoted. It's quid pro quo.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Frat house

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank

ProsGreat benefits, company is well known with the early stage tech companies as well with the top venture firms.

ConsUnless you are a lender your career trajectory is very limited. Too many middle managers , old boy network prevails.. Rotation program only available for lenders and the "chosen". Many of the successful people fit same profile

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be so insincere

Good place to work, if you don't mind being surrounded by unqualified "good guys"

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time

ProsWork life balance is encouraged

ConsDon't necessarily need to be qualified for positions, as long as you are liked by the right people.

Great Company if you can get in...

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Silicon Valley Bank as an intern for less than a year

ProsGood people, very focused on their employees and work life balance.

ConsPoor management accountability, and not willing to hire in California.

Stay away!

Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Silicon Valley Bank full-time for more than a year

ProsThey're great if you love the typical Silcon Valley perks (coffee service, free food, covered parking, gym, game room, etc.) to mask the fact that they're a sweat shop.

ConsThey've taken the "Client First" mantra to the extreme where there is no work-life balance. A standard weekday report suddenly becomes an emergency on the weekend if it involves a client. Almost all project workloads are generated by audit due to compliance issues. There is no career path for people in IT. Management personnel decisions are made without employee input. Staffing levels are insufficient. One IT leader is known for inappropriate emails. People are burnt-out and management downplays or ignores complaints. IT management is better at fire-fighting than strategic planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementIT leadership is ineffective, incompetent, and ruining the culture that the CEO has installed.

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Silicon Valley Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Silicon Valley Bank CEO Greg Becker. All 82 reviews posted anonymously by Silicon Valley Bank employees.