Silicon Valley Bank

www.svb.com

Silicon Valley Bank Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Silicon Valley Bank – “Happy Friday from the SVBers on the Silicon…”

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker

Greg Becker

Pros
  • Good people, very focused on their employees and work life balance(in 11 reviews)

• good benefits, interesting work(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • They've taken the "Client First" mantra to the extreme where there is no work-life balance(in 5 reviews)

• Its too late in IT, its to damaged thanks to the depredations of the new CIO(in 7 reviews)

Ambitious company with an amazing Brand and client focus

ProsDedicated senior managers
    Great culture and values
    Amazing business opportunities
    Credit policy discipline
    Global business

ConsIT challenged to keep up with bank growth
    Sales team paid by commission = bad habits
    Fast changing environment - need to be even more nimble

Advice to Senior ManagementThink differently about IT - adopt a new cloud based flexible/easy to customise platform and ditch old ASAP
    New CIO is a very good person and will lead us to new great things

Great company to work for.

ProsStrong, collaborative/team oriented culture; management has good strategic focus/objectives; strong benefit package; ability to move around to different roles internally; work/life balance

ConsVisibility around employee compensation relative to competitors; can be overly slow to make big decisions; minor growing pains (real estate challenges, hiring strategy) as bank continues to rapidly scale

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote from within, proactively take care of "best people" through empowerment, compensation and attention from highest levels in organization.

Proud to be an SVBer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clara, CA

Pros*smart people
    *great culture
    *AWESOME benefits
    *community consciousness
    *challenging environment that embraces creative thinking and willingness to take risks
    *the most hardworking, committed, and fun place I've had the pleasure to work
    *sincere concern and relationships among peers, managers, clients and partners
    *an amazing bank, working with amazing clients who strive to do amazing things

Cons*amount of projects/changes can feel excessive- can be a lot to manage and keep up with at times
    *work/life balance - due to workload and the overall desire to go the extra mile (it's just the DNA of an SVBer)

Advice to Senior Management*allow for more time to digest change before the next big change hits
    *take time to celebrate the wins - big and small

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Recall the CIO!

Applications Support (Former Employee)

ProsSVB has great product, most innovative debt financing portfolios, and has a lot do focus on pay for performance.

ConsThe CIO is able to say all the Buzz words (culture, transformation, game changing) without any substances or depth. If you are looking for a broken recorder than repeats what's wrong but doesn't have strategy nor ability to rally the team to fix them, you got the right lady. IT spending is at all time high, so much money wasted with no result. Surprisingly I year after being part of IT, she can still talk about IT issues as if she is an outsider. Absolutely no demonstration of ownership nor accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't want SVB drags down by her like California did during Arnols S' regime, it is not too late to recall.

Summer Intern

Summer Intern (Former Employee) Newton, MA

ProsThe company atmosphere was very fun and the people are interesting and easy to work with. Everyone was willing to help and answer my questions. I participated in a lot of out of office activities and community service. It was an overall great experience

ConsSometimes a little boring, but I think this was because they are slow in the summer.

SVB is like family

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tempe, AZ

ProsI started as a contractor and was able to land a full time job. Throughout the years I was able to work my way up and be asked to relocate to the Tempe office and be a part of mgmt. I feel so honored to be working for such a great company. I see myself retiring from SVB as they have been on an upswing and growing with so many opportunities.

ConsWe are still learning to grow as a company yet keep that small company feel. Its a good thing but sometimes I wonder if they are biting more than they can handle.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work as I trust and cherish their leadership.

Excellent Company Culture

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsDedicated group of people who want to have a positive impact on clients. The senior leaders inspire teams to do great work. If you want to enjoy work and be involved, this is the place to work!

ConsNone. This company is constantly improving.

A great company to work at

ProsGreat benefit, compensation as well as 401k. Good ESPP since SIVB stock usually go up. Friendly work environment and have a lot of smart people.

ConsPolitic and favor. It happens in all of corporation. Some people don't know to play game and end up they don't get what they want.

Advice to Senior ManagementObviously you keep doing whatever you have been done, so far the business grows.

wonderful culture - great place to work

Proslove working with the diverse set of clients

Consfast paced environment - need to be able to handle the challenges

Great place for contractors as well

ProsBeautiful surroundings. Professional people. Everyone I work with is genuinely nice and cooperative.

ConsI am a temp so this does not really apply to me. I think people work very hard here and overtime as well so free time may be an issue for some.

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!