Silicon Valley Bank

Be The First To
Add Photos

Silicon Valley Bank President & CEO Greg Becker

Greg Becker

Pros:
  • "Good people, very focused on their employees and work life balance"
    in 9 reviews
  • "good benefits, interesting work"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "They've taken the "Client First" mantra to the extreme where there is no work-life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Management doesn't really listen to those who don't fully drink the Kool-Aid"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great Bank, Avoid IT

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGreat compensation

Great growth story

International expansion

Talented IT team (except leadership) People on the ground run this company and make things happen through their sweat and blood despite challenging and incompetent IT Senior leadership

Great at philanthropy - Make a difference to the world

ConsToo many clueless leadership team members in IT
    Incompetent CIO - CIO has declared a war on IT
    CIO lacks experience in filtering through , understanding problems and making correct choices
    Too many bad choices = Fire the CIO
    Lack of open transparent discussion to acknowledge and start fixing real problems
    Lack of parity between IT and business resulting in over worked and always criticized and under appreciated IT team

Advice to Senior ManagementI agree with all the past reviews . CIO needs to be fired and replaced with someone who can unify the team and bring in more positivity

One comment - CIO is no longer new. . Average CIO tenures are 3-4 yrs . At 13 months in, clueless CIO has already finished 30% of tenure and has nothing to show for delivery.

Accelerate CIO's departure. You have hired someone who doesn't understand and fit into the companys values and culture,
    CEO Greg Becker needs to step in to stop the rot impacting employees ,

CEO- please end the CIO's misery by taking her out and also take IT away from COO

Be aware ... Great story but bad culture

ProsGreat benefits, work with interesting companies , good work life balance

ConsBecker is so aloof unaware of the poor employee morale. It is a huge white boy frat club. There is no diversity. The new CIO and CMO are both simply building mini empires to manage. High turnover, no career guidance unless you are one of the chosen few. Huge hidden perks for another class of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is changing too fast in a bad way. Curb employee turn over not through useless focus groups but with mentors... Invest in non revenue generating employees. Becker please show that you care asides from you prepared speech you give every qtr at the employee town hall. You are not approachable. Managing out of fear has become the norm

Current employee at hq

Pros1 good benefits for
    2. Competitive compensation
    3. On site gym
    4. Working with entrepreneurs
    5. Employee stock

Cons1. Lack of diversity in management. Company unable or unwilling to change managers who do not demonstrate company's core values
    2. White boy club
    3. Manager manage out of fear
    4. Employee morale is low
    5. Current CEO is out of touch
    6. Only the pre selected people ever rise. Promotion and opportunity are dreams for most people
    7. Only revenue generators have a potential for advancement

Advice to Senior Management1. Focus groups do not change the low employee morale
    2. Provide real opportunities to non lenders asides from just lip service
    3. Current CEO needs to stop and be sincere (if possible)
    4. SVB is not a Goldman Sachs and will never be one.
    5. Offer mentors who can help people navigate svb

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Our CIO is TERRIBLE

Senior IT Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsGreat benefits and pay along with flex work hours

ConsOur CIO Beth Devin has turned out to be a nightmare. I used to be filled with hope when she first joined a year + back, but she has steadily proven through her actions that she doesn't have a clue--and doesn't care to get a clue. She let go one of our best senior leaders in engineering recently and that seems to be the nail in the coffin. He was the only one seemingly with a vision as our CIO keeps flip flopping from one priority to another depending on the week. Now, nobody in the senior management team is trustworthy and they are all tainted--everyone is scared and out for themselves at the expense of the company and IT which is the real tragedy unfolding here. The CIO actually gave a speech after she made her "breath of fresh air" moves that if your not with her on her latest moves, get out of the company. Inspiring. Great values. Message: agree with me or get fired. Others in the company who are really outstanding contributors and know their stuff are getting sidelined and marginalized---a disaster in the making as they scramble for the exits. Who is going to be left to do the work? Im sure the CIO will continue to blame others for her own failures as she likes to prattle on constantly about taking more ownership and accountability yet doesn't follow her own rules. The two posts on here applauding the CIO are very poorly done plants--its well known in IT that she asked her remaining leadership team to post positive items due to prospective recruits reading what is really going on. Don't listen to them, IT is truly hell. CIO has done nothing in over a year except demotivate and disrupt the entire IT operation. Her new hires in management are weak--either know nothing about IT or are slow, scared, and ineffective. Don't know much about the last CIO, but it had to have been better than this!

Advice to Senior ManagementClearly, fire your CIO and save IT. At the same time, hold your COO accountable as well---he is the mover behind the scenes allowing this nightmare to begin and continue. CEO needs to be more involved and accountable.

Surprised by the "Fresh of Breath Air" review, because IT really stinks. Time for IT Employees to speak up.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsOur CEO Greg puts employees and SVB's clients first. He thinks that employees are true assets. But lets talk about the IT, since it really is a place that stinks because of its CIO.

ConsI was really surprised by the positive reviews here, as it looks like somebody is smoking weeds here. I am even suspecting these reviews are written by the CIO herself or her close aids. The reality is that breath after all is not so fresh, particularly when nothing has been done after a year. It actually stinks.

In past few years, IT organization was not perfect, but it was working well enough to make SVB successful. But the new CIO ruined it all. By the name of change, she has created a culture where no one can question her, a culture which promotes difference between new vs old employees. She thinks that anyone who has been here before her is incompetent, and does not want to change. The reality is that she has no skills to recognize true talent or manage any kind of organizational change. Because of her, IT in its current state stinks.

She complains about old employees and IT as a whole as if she is an outsider. She never even attempted to learn IT, the team or what was actually done. This IT team is the same team who worked extra ordinarily hard to open SVB's 2 international branches in China and UK. And the true recognition is that branch in China was opened in a record time, while the UK was one of the most complex operation ever. But she continues to see this team as a bad team, and team who resist change but over here work speaks for itself. These employees had delivered truly amazing stuff.

Now look at her record. What has she done in last one year? This question has been asked constantly in many reviews. Nothing, except she continued to fire people because they challenged her. Many people think that these folks were fired because they were incompetent, but truth is they challenged her style of work and her decisions as she continued to ruin the IT. She likes to talk, and just talk without substance, because she has nothing tangible to show. So she distracts business by bad mouthing her own team.
    All negative reviews speaks collectively of who she really is.

Now let's some talk about Old Vs New Employees.

Something about Old Employees - these are the same IT employees who worked very hard in making this company successful. Worked hard enough that even during the greatest recession after the great depression, SVB continued to grow and earned profit. So one day, new employees can come and join this organization, and be part of SVB's growth story. Our own CEO has been here for more than 2 decades, does it mean he is incompetent too?

Message to New Employees (Well, I am not that old either) - Ask yourself, if you really think you were joining a team of incompetent people, if so then why did you even join? What problems were you hired to solve? If you think you are such a true reformist, the only company you chose to join was SVB! Really? Please look within before you point fingers. Respect the fact, that you are given an opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds. I am not saying all are good and best, but this is how teams are formed all across the world even in the most successful organizations. Let me not question you, because I know you all new hires bring amazing talent to this company and has good intentions but think about it. Do you really think that the person who was your onboarding buddy, who welcomed you to SVB, who helped you understand the company, who helped you understand the technology stack, and shared who is who of this company, is a stupid!!!!! Its a great compliment to have this good mix, while these employees working together to take this company to next stage and not create new vs old culture. Please don't fall for new vs old debate just because the CIO is so damn incompetent. Because she just creating a distraction. Don't consider her new anymore, she has been here for more than a year now.

Many of the IT Employees who have been here will tell you that almost everyone has worked 15-16 hours daily, weekend after weekend to make this company successful. Not because they were being paid, but because they always care. They care for SVB, they care for SVB's clients and care for each other.

I wish if I could recommend this company to my friend, but IT at its current stage stinks. So unless this is resolved please stay away.

I would request every IT employee to stand up and raise their voice. I know you are reading this, so use the power of social media and let the management know that its time to Fire the incompetent CIO and save IT.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease save IT. It is a great company, so please do something about IT before its too late. And before we all started to look for a job outside.

Great company to work for. Visionary Team

ProsExcellent core values. Benefits and Comps. Growth story. excellent opportunities for people with the right mindset.

ConsFast growing company with lots of work and less people to do it.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work on the re org. Follow through.

Recall the CIO!

Applications Support (Former Employee)

ProsSVB has great product, most innovative debt financing portfolios, and has a lot do focus on pay for performance.

ConsThe CIO is able to say all the Buzz words (culture, transformation, game changing) without any substances or depth. If you are looking for a broken recorder than repeats what's wrong but doesn't have strategy nor ability to rally the team to fix them, you got the right lady. IT spending is at all time high, so much money wasted with no result. Surprisingly I year after being part of IT, she can still talk about IT issues as if she is an outsider. Absolutely no demonstration of ownership nor accountability.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you don't want SVB drags down by her like California did during Arnols S' regime, it is not too late to recall.

Kudos to the new CIO on the 2 brave steps!!

Santa Clara, CA

ProsKudos to the new CIO for the 2 great steps in getting rid of incompetent heads!! I agree it's a breath of fresh air. The eliminated senior management was hoarding and promoting incompetents. Rusty and unskilled Old timers had made IT the Wild Wild West, trying to slave or eliminate new timers. Any new ideas were shot down under pretext 'this is how we do things' and 'people need to learn how we run business before they tell us how to do things'. High performing people were so helpless, they ended up leaving disappointed and frustrated. Things are looking promising again!! This is a good time to join SVB, including IT.

ConsBecause of lot of free loaders, the pay package in IT is not commensurate with the bay area salaries. Hiring managers are under wrong impression that the packages are good and that's why people stay for long. The reason people have stayed so long is they are rusty, won't get job elsewhere and all they have to do is BS around, which doesn't need any technical skillset.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great job!! We are heading in the right direction!!

Breath of fresh air in IT

Anonymous (Current Employee)
    Santa Clara, CA

ProsThis review is from someone who has been in SVB IT for almost 2 years.
    Great opportunities to grow skills and business acumen.
    A leadership team that really listens and promotes equality.
    Women have equal opportunity to advance.
    Great pay and conditions.
    The business challenges and motivated people make it a pleasure to come to work.
    CIO has a great vision to transform IT.

ConsSome long term IT people have old values and are too comfortable in their jobs. These people form cliques and unfortunately undermine progress with passive-aggressive behavior.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport the change in IT. It's a breath of fresh air.

Save IT from the new incompetent CIO!!

Business Analyst (IT Project Manager) (Current Employee)

ProsGood Benefits
    Excellent business model
    Very good individual contributors in IT

ConsI completely agree with all the IT feedback given in other reviews below. The new CIO is incompetent and does not understand technology! She cannot be trusted and is not capable of making any good Firm Sensible decisions! She has fired all Good (Make it Happen) leaders. Her new Leadership team is absolutely incompetent and are just talkers with no sense of managing IT employees (forget managing the vendors/partners) ! Instead of being effective partners with Business on Technology front, IT is trying to become Business itself taking client focus to the extreme!! Ridiculous, never seen in any IT department elsewhere. Don't know where this will all lead to, but IT is falling apart. And wait the Re-Org is still happening even after hiring external consultants to do it! OneIT is a horrible joke when no one in IT knows what each one's roles are and how the new org structure is supposed to work with so many undecided things and teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementSave IT before it becomes ONE (person) IT

Worked for Silicon Valley Bank? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Silicon Valley Bank reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Silicon Valley Bank CEO Greg Becker. All 99 reviews posted anonymously by Silicon Valley Bank employees.