Silicon Valley Community Foundation

Updated Jun 3, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Emmett D. Carson

Brilliant talent wasted with long hours and heavy workloads.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThis foundation is doing incredible things, largely because of the amazing talent it is able to attract. They also provide various training opportunities and even have an employee committee for health and wellness. Staff events are fun and meant to serve as a break from the fast-paced working environment. This organization also seems to burn brighter and brighter every year in terms of achievement and status in the nonprofit community.

ConsMost of those amazing individuals are over-tasked with projects, portfolios and other miscellaneous items that either detract from their primary job description or cause burnout. Management does seem to be attentive to hearing from staff, but little to nothing is done to remedy the long hours and heavy workloads. Also, mid-to-upper-level staff are expected to be on-call via email 24/7 and tend to work more than 40 hours per week, but this is never explicitly stated. Even hourly staff put in great deals of overtime, though it is frowned upon.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of piling more work on an already taxed staff, try hiring more administrative and coordinator positions to share the workload and promote an even greater atmosphere of teamwork. Really listen to your employees' concerns and try to advocate for them, not just note down on paper to file away. Acknowledge that there is too much for too few staff to handle, and take steps to ensure the brilliant minds you have hired want to continue working there and contributing their knowledge.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Change Favoritism, Over-Management, and Heavy Workload

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsThe staff is highly competent and smart. Most truly enjoy what they do and care for the mission of fostering philanthropy. The main office is centrally located along the Peninsula/Silicon Valley and each work space is comfortable, modern and clean. Benefits are the best I've received from a nonprofit employer.

ConsYour experience truly depends on your relationship with your supervisor. Promotions are rare but occur if you are willing to go above and beyond your job description AND be your boss' pet. Internal pay equity is extremely off - job postings for new employees post higher salaries than current, longer-term employees. There are also too many levels of management and a pervasive acceptance of a micro-managing style of management. Some processes are in place to maintain the high integrity and professionalism expected from the community foundation but most work-flow processes are frustratingly slow and just foster distrust and fear of making mistakes.

Advice to Senior ManagementHR needs to respond to employees' concerns and not side with management as frequently. Fair treatment and employee empowerment can go a long way. Managers need to recognize and support the success of all their reporting employees. Simply announcing completed projects at monthly staff meetings is not enough recognition. Foster a work environment where employees feel comfortable asking for days off and for a raise.

great place to work

Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsSVCF has wonderful staff, an excellent corporate culture, and outstanding ethics. I've only seen positive things here, which is why I'd love to be a permanent employee. The people here are very, very well qualified for their positions, and there's an emphasis on delivering high-quality work. I love having the proper equipment and software to do my job effectively, and my boss is wonderful to work for.

ConsSome people are overworked; other than that, I haven't seen any negatives yet.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Culture of Fear

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsFour weeks of PTO, volunteer time-off, smart co-workers (the individual contributors), nice office setting, interesting donors with interesting causes

ConsAlthough upper management promotes a "culture of candor" and says they encourage employee feedback and questions, this simply is not true. Unfortunately, it's more of a culture of fear. If an employee speaks up to question a process, a decision, or anyone in authority, they are quickly ridiculed and even publicly humiliated in staff or division meetings. There is also no true transparent process for promotions, with perceived favorites of the "chiefs" usually being promoted (without having to interview or apply for positions), often after having only worked at the foundation for mere months.

The three chiefs who report directly to the CEO are afraid of him and tend to act more as "bobble-heads" than as true leaders and managers. Everyone is afraid of the CEO and making him mad. Employees are truly seen as replaceable, and the turn-over rate is extremely high. More than 80% of the employees have worked there less than one year. HR has little power to address the real issue, the chiefs. One of the chiefs is extremely insecure and will likely be sued for sexual harassment one day. There might be hope, one day, for the foundation, after the four top managers leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect all employees. Embrace the word community in community foundation and show compassion and concern for both your internal and external communities. The nonprofit community simply doesn't care that you hold $2 billion in assets. What are you doing for the community?

Overworked staff with Rude, abusive leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood employee benefits for a nonprofit, Very committed colleagues that believe in the mission

ConsBoard is not informed of high staff turnover, leadership claims that staff is like a family but blatantly abuses staff. My supervisors took personal anger out on me for no reason, dismissed my ideas in meetings, and was often rude and critical of my work, while offering no constructive ways to improve it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with board about staff turnover. Invest more in professional development and do more than monthly coffee & pastries for staff.

Great place to work if you are willing to work hard

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mountain View, CA

ProsOpportunities for advancement, solid mission, hard-working co-workers

ConsExpected to work many hours, very high standards, lack of major resources to invest in professional development

Advice to Senior ManagementAcknowledge that many staff members are overworked and not compensated in several very easy to offer fringe benefits.

Best Non profit I've worked at.

ProsGreat people and sincere people

Conspossible can be better pay

Advice to Senior ManagementHold Chiefs Accountable if warranted

Worked for Silicon Valley Community Foundation? Contribute to the Community!