SilkRoad Technology

Updated January 20, 2015
2.6

SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule/work from home opportunity (in 15 reviews)

• Able to maintain a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • After onboarding, no training and no ongoing training opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for.

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

Great PTO policy and insurance. Great team members. Love the laid back culture.

Cons

Uncertain of the company's future.

So much wasted potential

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO policy... that's pretty much it.

Cons

Leadership
    perceived favoritism.
    Short term thinking.
    Product development is not customer centric.

In the past few years I've seen this company let go of high quality, highly motivated people. People with product knowledge that believed in where the company was going. You lost them due to your own apathy or by just outright cutting them. These people should have been promoted or at least given incentives to stay. In cases where cuts were needed those people should have been priorities in finding other places for them. based upon their performance and not on who can network the best.

Product development should be steered by customer need and not the way the engineers think that it should go.

So sad to see a company run into the ground.

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If an employee works hard and gets the job done, the company is fairly hands-off. They also have a decent PTO policy, yet I feel that high-performing employees probably don't take advantage of it (no set PTO). I think those who are dedicated rarely take time off to recharge.

Cons

The executive team not telling a true story about the financial stability of the company as it relates to investors, funding, available funds, etc. A financial statement was never shared with the team as a private company. There was a large turnover of employees during 2014, including C-Level employees. The culture of the company changed dramatically when new, Senior-level executives took over, with people feeling mistrustful of the "leadership" team. Additionally, a key solution was removed from the product mix which made hitting quota much more difficult, along with changes in branding that should never have happened. The cost for that had to have been astronomical, yet pay raises were denied to most and bonuses were reduced significantly.

Sell. At the very least, be honest with remaining employees about where the company stands in terms of investors and the future of the company. Quit speaking platitudes; people can see right through them. If you are serious about staying in business, then you best get new and improved products to market quickly, or you won't stand a chance against the competition. And, pay remaining employees what they are worth instead of investing dollars into ridiculous programs like the rebranding of faulty solutions.

The truth

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked here for 4 years and there used to be allot but not any longer.

Cons

Vaporware. They flat out lied to clients. New management is trying to fix this issue but the people they kept I feel are the wrong ones. They are working to completely revamp the entire product line but I think they have no chance of getting this done anytime soon. They have lost 6 c-level employees and had 33% reduction in workforce since January 2014. I would not recommend doing any business with this organization at this time.

Please sell and get whatever money's you can out of this carcass of a company

Going down the tubes... run and hide

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Super flexible schedule and hands off, no PTO tracking, easy to hit objectives that are acceptable enough to keep your job, however they are not the objectives for being "at plan". Get all the gadgets you need to do your job. Overall there is good industry analyst backing for some of the products.

Cons

Very hard to understand whether you are representing the products properly. In the past they have sold their dreams for the future rather than today's functionality. Future is unclear. Many people at the company feel the CEO has other agendas rather than the sheer success of the company and getting SilkRoad to an IPO. 3rd party industry analysts have alluded to this as well. The onboarding is second to none, the LMS has a great track record, but needs a UI update. The cold fusion platform for their ATS is limiting. The Performance module is lacking when needs become more complex. The HRMS is not currently available, a new system will debut soon. There is no single database and integration between the modules is difficult to manage and to set up. Even then it doesn't provide cross-suite reporting or fulfill today's standards for an "integrated suite". Support and Services team needs to take a lesson in how to truly provide a world-class experience. Head of those departments has no interpersonal skills whatsoever. Oh yeah and the Chief Revenue officer, who just came to the company in early 2014, has already decided to leave. Rumors still run around the exit of the company founders back in 2013 and early 2014. Lots of layoffs and turnover in the last 12 months. Lots of good talent have left.

Never pass up on the opportunity to engage with your employees. 2 years without personal interaction with the c-level for a company of this size, with the aspirations of pulling up out of the downward spiral, is unacceptable. Show your team you truly are transparent, not by sending an email to the company saying so, or barking at everyone on a conference call, but by looking everyone in the eye and inspiring them to buy in to your dreams for the future. If you were genuine, that would carry a lot of weight in keeping your top talent. Be honest about the products shortcomings in the past and don't make the same mistake again. Get rid of the CMO, his tactics are shifty and he doesn't know how to strategize with the sales team. Most of his team thinks he is off his rocker anyway.

A once great contender is struggling to keep it's sales team

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HR policies are great. Flexible for remote employees. Work/life balance

Cons

Management indifferent to sales reps.
    Implemented 8X8 dial counter
    Veteran reps now "account development" - no commish

Although new management is attempting to keep it above water, SRT is a shell of what it once was as far as employee engagement.
    They are about to lose a significant number of sales people from AD to Director.
    Prior to the above changes, SRT had very loyal employees regardless of the fact that they were paid less than industry standard. They were a close-knit team of brain-stormers with the mutual goal of making each other and our customers successful.
    Employees had a voice and felt cared for.
    I hope that they are able to fix it, but it may be too late.

Uncertain future of the company but has been an awesome company to work for over the past six years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We are not micromanaged here and we truly have a flexible schedule. I love that they do not dictate what we wear. We can dress up or dress down. Our choice. We have the option to work remotely when needed. Pay is acceptable. Benefits are good. I love my work environment. I have been in some bad work environments before, this is nice.

Cons

There has been major upheavals since the new CEO came in. That is typically to be expected, however, it tends to get scarier and scarier every day with uncertainty of what is to become of the company and our jobs. Raises used to be across the board and are nearly non-existent unless the CEO thinks you are essential staff. I have been here several years and have only received two raises which were across the board. Lately, it seems that everyone wants to pass the buck and no one wants to make a decision.

I think that you should throw the little guy a bone and give some raises to those that have stuck it out over the years without any significant pay increase. With all the uncertainty, people are leaving and receiving job offers that pay more than our salaries here. If people got a raise, they may be more willing to stick it out. However, better to be done with the company than to wait for the company to be done with you, right? That seems to be the direction the company is going in; right down the tubes.

No concern for the people, but room for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time

Pros

Good place to get experience doing a variety of tasks. You'll get a chance to try new things.

Cons

Long hours, low morale, little concern for the employees. Lots of attrition, especially of good employees.

Stop managing from an ivory tower. Get out and visit the employees and customers. Learn from employee input and feedback. Hard to understand the market from a conference room.

Great place to work for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

You will wear many hats but that is a good thing from a comprehensive experience standpoint.

Cons

Losing some good people which is troubling.

A company full of issues

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you want, talking bullshits and staying in right line is much useful than real working.

Cons

No tech stack, full of political issues. Not a place for engineer to stay, don't even mention building career there. Lay off happens all the time. Talent engineers got cold and kicked out while policy players stay for ever.

Be nice to your employee, even though both sides know layoff is eventually inevitable.

SilkRoad Technology Photos