SilkRoad Technology

Updated November 12, 2014
2.6

SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule/work from home opportunity (in 14 reviews)

• Able to maintain a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • After onboarding, no training and no ongoing training opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Experience Working at SilkRoad

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Excellent work/life balance
    -Unlimited PTO
    -Excellent tools for the sales team to do their jobs
    -Opportunities for growth/advancement
    -Great folks working there
    -My manager (Joe Howton) was awesome. He gave me the autonomy to do my job, but also provided support when I needed it. He is a great sales person and a great manager, and somebody I really enjoyed working for.
    -The new SVP of Sales has been with the company a long time, and will for sure have a positive impact on the sales teams. He has a full understanding of the inner workings of not only sales, but operations at SilkRoad and is a tremendous asset to the group.

Cons

-Comp plan for sales was cut drastically. New Senior VP President of Sales is going to change that, but it really hurt this year (2014).
    -Inside sales was moved under marketing, thus no longer being a true sales resource. Hopefully that will be changed back soon.
    -Marketing is not helping drive leads or opportunities

-Keep driving forward to get NexGen released. There is a demand for it, and there will be a huge positive impact for the SMB team.
    -Fix the sales comp plan
    -Leads are nonexistent, and that should be addressed.

Going down the tubes... run and hide

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Super flexible schedule and hands off, no PTO tracking, easy to hit objectives that are acceptable enough to keep your job, however they are not the objectives for being "at plan". Get all the gadgets you need to do your job. Overall there is good industry analyst backing for some of the products.

Cons

Very hard to understand whether you are representing the products properly. In the past they have sold their dreams for the future rather than today's functionality. Future is unclear. Many people at the company feel the CEO has other agendas rather than the sheer success of the company and getting SilkRoad to an IPO. 3rd party industry analysts have alluded to this as well. The onboarding is second to none, the LMS has a great track record, but needs a UI update. The cold fusion platform for their ATS is limiting. The Performance module is lacking when needs become more complex. The HRMS is not currently available, a new system will debut soon. There is no single database and integration between the modules is difficult to manage and to set up. Even then it doesn't provide cross-suite reporting or fulfill today's standards for an "integrated suite". Support and Services team needs to take a lesson in how to truly provide a world-class experience. Head of those departments has no interpersonal skills whatsoever. Oh yeah and the Chief Revenue officer, who just came to the company in early 2014, has already decided to leave. Rumors still run around the exit of the company founders back in 2013 and early 2014. Lots of layoffs and turnover in the last 12 months. Lots of good talent have left.

Never pass up on the opportunity to engage with your employees. 2 years without personal interaction with the c-level for a company of this size, with the aspirations of pulling up out of the downward spiral, is unacceptable. Show your team you truly are transparent, not by sending an email to the company saying so, or barking at everyone on a conference call, but by looking everyone in the eye and inspiring them to buy in to your dreams for the future. If you were genuine, that would carry a lot of weight in keeping your top talent. Be honest about the products shortcomings in the past and don't make the same mistake again. Get rid of the CMO, his tactics are shifty and he doesn't know how to strategize with the sales team. Most of his team thinks he is off his rocker anyway.

A once great contender is struggling to keep it's sales team

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HR policies are great. Flexible for remote employees. Work/life balance

Cons

Management indifferent to sales reps.
    Implemented 8X8 dial counter
    Veteran reps now "account development" - no commish

Although new management is attempting to keep it above water, SRT is a shell of what it once was as far as employee engagement.
    They are about to lose a significant number of sales people from AD to Director.
    Prior to the above changes, SRT had very loyal employees regardless of the fact that they were paid less than industry standard. They were a close-knit team of brain-stormers with the mutual goal of making each other and our customers successful.
    Employees had a voice and felt cared for.
    I hope that they are able to fix it, but it may be too late.

Uncertain future of the company but has been an awesome company to work for over the past six years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We are not micromanaged here and we truly have a flexible schedule. I love that they do not dictate what we wear. We can dress up or dress down. Our choice. We have the option to work remotely when needed. Pay is acceptable. Benefits are good. I love my work environment. I have been in some bad work environments before, this is nice.

Cons

There has been major upheavals since the new CEO came in. That is typically to be expected, however, it tends to get scarier and scarier every day with uncertainty of what is to become of the company and our jobs. Raises used to be across the board and are nearly non-existent unless the CEO thinks you are essential staff. I have been here several years and have only received two raises which were across the board. Lately, it seems that everyone wants to pass the buck and no one wants to make a decision.

I think that you should throw the little guy a bone and give some raises to those that have stuck it out over the years without any significant pay increase. With all the uncertainty, people are leaving and receiving job offers that pay more than our salaries here. If people got a raise, they may be more willing to stick it out. However, better to be done with the company than to wait for the company to be done with you, right? That seems to be the direction the company is going in; right down the tubes.

No concern for the people, but room for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time

Pros

Good place to get experience doing a variety of tasks. You'll get a chance to try new things.

Cons

Long hours, low morale, little concern for the employees. Lots of attrition, especially of good employees.

Stop managing from an ivory tower. Get out and visit the employees and customers. Learn from employee input and feedback. Hard to understand the market from a conference room.

Great place to work for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

You will wear many hats but that is a good thing from a comprehensive experience standpoint.

Cons

Losing some good people which is troubling.

A company full of issues

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want, talking bullshits and staying in right line is much useful than real working.

Cons

No tech stack, full of political issues. Not a place for engineer to stay, don't even mention building career there. Lay off happens all the time. Talent engineers got cold and kicked out while policy players stay for ever.

Be nice to your employee, even though both sides know layoff is eventually inevitable.

Sorry to see the company continue to struggle, not sure they can turn it around...

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work from home options and flexible PTO are attractive. Ability to work with minimal micro-management in most departments is common.

Cons

High turnover, both voluntary and involuntary in the last 6 months, including many of the senior management team who founded the company 10+ years ago. Morale is low due to uncertainty of company's future along with compensation that is not equivalent or greater than industry rates. No pay raises in last 3 years for most of the staff. Stock options were given to many who were employed 4+ years ago, but none since except for executives/senior management. Combination of focus on reduction in expenses and no pay raises will cause more talented staff to leave in the coming months. I left the company voluntarily after 6+ years primarily due to this reason along with the high demands of my position with limited appreciation by senior management.

R&D for product development has increased slightly in last year, but still not enough needed for competitive and/or industry leading solutions.

The company culture has eroded from "Work Happy" immensely. The company appears to be in "survival" mode and will continue to loose talented team members who have options for better opportunities. More should be done to retain critical staff. In addition, more R&D will be needed rapidly to get the products focused on the SMB market.

They don't care about their employees...

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home opportunity - time off policies -.........

Cons

I worked for the company for over 5 years - what has happened? They laid off 1/2 of the workforce and not in an ethical way. They have increased quotas and removed products from the line up in which we could sell from. The management only carries about the bottom line number and not a care in the world about the people below them helping them get to that number. Anyone who had tenure there has left - the writing is on the wall.

Start caring - these employees have put not only their time and energy in SRT but their hearts.

Great people and new direction.

Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New leadership with focus on the future and profitability.

Cons

Transitional periods are often and can make it difficult to adapt.

Improve information flows.