SilkRoad Technology

SilkRoad Technology Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton

John Shackleton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule/work from home opportunity(in 14 reviews)

• Able to maintain a good work/life balance(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • After onboarding, no training and no ongoing training opportunities(in 7 reviews)

• There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching(in 5 reviews)

Great job with a lot of room for professional growth

Applications Engineer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsAbility to work remotely or on site, excellent group of qualified professionals to bounce ideas off of as well as plenty of opportunities to contribute.

ConsSometimes working with older technology stacks.

Advice to Senior ManagementA better or more formalized understanding of success paths would be nice.

Sorry to see the company continue to struggle, not sure they can turn it around...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home options and flexible PTO are attractive. Ability to work with minimal micro-management in most departments is common.

ConsHigh turnover, both voluntary and involuntary in the last 6 months, including many of the senior management team who founded the company 10+ years ago. Morale is low due to uncertainty of company's future along with compensation that is not equivalent or greater than industry rates. No pay raises in last 3 years for most of the staff. Stock options were given to many who were employed 4+ years ago, but none since except for executives/senior management. Combination of focus on reduction in expenses and no pay raises will cause more talented staff to leave in the coming months. I left the company voluntarily after 6+ years primarily due to this reason along with the high demands of my position with limited appreciation by senior management.

R&D for product development has increased slightly in last year, but still not enough needed for competitive and/or industry leading solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company culture has eroded from "Work Happy" immensely. The company appears to be in "survival" mode and will continue to loose talented team members who have options for better opportunities. More should be done to retain critical staff. In addition, more R&D will be needed rapidly to get the products focused on the SMB market.

They don't care about their employees...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home opportunity - time off policies -.........

ConsI worked for the company for over 5 years - what has happened? They laid off 1/2 of the workforce and not in an ethical way. They have increased quotas and removed products from the line up in which we could sell from. The management only carries about the bottom line number and not a care in the world about the people below them helping them get to that number. Anyone who had tenure there has left - the writing is on the wall.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart caring - these employees have put not only their time and energy in SRT but their hearts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Where did all the passion go?

ProsWork from home, strong benefits

ConsRemoved the talented and passionate leadership and replaced it with those who focus on the $$ instead of the employees. New leadership is untrustworthy about the state of the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring back the culture that made SilkRoad the best place on the planet to work. All of the great talent is either gone or is thinking about leaving. You must regain the trust of your employees and bring back the Work Happy culture that the core founders built.

A roller coaster of highs and lows

ProsThere is a lot of flexibility with my position- I can work in an office or from home. We have unlimited paid-time-off (PTO), so we can easily schedule activities outside of work and maintain a good work/life balance. The culture among my peers is like a family, and that makes it more fun to work.

ConsThere have been so many changes in the company over the past several years, especially in executive management. Many of our long standing (founding) executives have gone, taking with them the heart and soul of the company. The culture has shifted from an environment of creativity, individuality and recognition for hard work, to an environment of monitoring, scrutiny and cost-cutting. No longer do I feel like an appreciated contributor; rather, I feel more and more like a "number" every day.

Advice to Senior ManagementNow is the time to recognize and show appreciation for the members of this once great team that pours their hearts into their jobs each day. Currently, each day that passes widens the gap between the workers and the executives that will eventually (if it hasn't already) be impossible to overcome. If we hope to be the best talent management software company in the market, and one of the best places to work, then management needs to make it a priority to genuinely recognize and appreciate the work that each individual contributes. Otherwise, there may eventually be no one left to realize that dream.

The difference in the past and present is huge

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsUnlimited PTO, Remote workforce, free coffee... The only true benefits at this point.

ConsLeaders who haven't a clue as to what the customers want or need. Divided culture now, the team feeling that we once had is long gone. Used to be a fun place to work. Very few of the manager level and above truly care about the employees anymore. It takes an Act of God to try to do your job with all the effort that is needed now to get started. Products lacking. The last good executive just left (HR) we will now become Opentext. Their reviews aren't good either and now their old leader is our CEO. Just as everyone else mentioned, going on 3 years with no raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost most of your good talent, the rest are looking and good people do not want to come work for a company that treats employees poorly. It's time to shape up or ship out. Your people have made this company what it is, stop the bleeding. Invest in your people, because you are already seeing what happens when you don't.

If you love feeling like you made a contribution at the end of the day, LOOK ELSEWHERE!

Pros(mostly) Flexible working environment
    Unlimited PTO (if you can figure out a way to get your work magically done in your absence)

ConsI have never worked for a company where it's so difficult to do your job. Someone stands in your way at every turn, whether it's the "we tried that once so..." or "that's just the way we do things" the excuses to stifle creative thinking and discourage efficiency are unlimited. So many visible money drains at an organization in "belt tightening mode."

Advice to Senior ManagementI hear a new management team exists but I've yet to see them do anything meaningful (let alone see their faces to know they really exist).

Great people and new direction.

Project Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsNew leadership with focus on the future and profitability.

ConsTransitional periods are often and can make it difficult to adapt.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove information flows.

A sinking ship that has missed the market, future looks grim

ProsThe work/life balance is great! Flexible time off, working remotely, ability to take time for personal matters when needed. Results oriented.

ConsThere have been countless mistakes made by the old executive team which we are still paying for today. The new executive team is trying to clean up but doing so poorly. The executives are very disconnected from the employees and from the latest technologies and user experiences. Focuses are on cost cutting, "streamlining", and on new sales - the existing customers are left with countless bugs, unfinished features, and poor implementations. The team sizes have shrunk while more demand is put on them but at the same time burdening them down with additional process and virtual paperwork. Innovation is non-existent, time is mismanaged, very talented people are underutilized, and some arrogant non-team player types are in management/director level positions. Communication has never been great with both the old/new executive teams so most have no idea where we are headed or where their focus should be.

There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching. Stock options are provided but once an employee puts in their 4 years there is no additional incentive to stay and many have left soon after their vesting. For a company that sells a better workplace they sadly have a poor workplace themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnless something changes for the positive very soon, this company is doomed. The products are too far behind in the market now and will continue to get further and further behind. Consider selling to someone who wants the client list and good talent but not the products themselves.

The downward spiral......

Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPros....there is room for improvement??

ConsI don't feel like the executive team has any connection with employees or the day to day responsibilities and challenges we face in the present day SRT climate. Upper management just seems happy to have a job and therefore will say what needs to be said to stay in the good graces of those calling the shots. We can continue to talk about how great things will be in Q4 or Q1 '15 but I doubt we ever make it there.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in the trenches. Connect with your employees. Be honest.

Worked for SilkRoad Technology? Contribute to the Community!