SilkRoad Technology

Updated September 13, 2014
2.7

SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule/work from home opportunity (in 14 reviews)

• Able to maintain a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • After onboarding, no training and no ongoing training opportunities (in 7 reviews)

• There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Uncertain future of the company but has been an awesome company to work for over the past six years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We are not micromanaged here and we truly have a flexible schedule. I love that they do not dictate what we wear. We can dress up or dress down. Our choice. We have the option to work remotely when needed. Pay is acceptable. Benefits are good. I love my work environment. I have been in some bad work environments before, this is nice.

Cons

There has been major upheavals since the new CEO came in. That is typically to be expected, however, it tends to get scarier and scarier every day with uncertainty of what is to become of the company and our jobs. Raises used to be across the board and are nearly non-existent unless the CEO thinks you are essential staff. I have been here several years and have only received two raises which were across the board. Lately, it seems that everyone wants to pass the buck and no one wants to make a decision.

I think that you should throw the little guy a bone and give some raises to those that have stuck it out over the years without any significant pay increase. With all the uncertainty, people are leaving and receiving job offers that pay more than our salaries here. If people got a raise, they may be more willing to stick it out. However, better to be done with the company than to wait for the company to be done with you, right? That seems to be the direction the company is going in; right down the tubes.

A once great contender is struggling to keep it's sales team

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

HR policies are great. Flexible for remote employees. Work/life balance

Cons

Management indifferent to sales reps.
    Implemented 8X8 dial counter
    Veteran reps now "account development" - no commish

Although new management is attempting to keep it above water, SRT is a shell of what it once was as far as employee engagement.
    They are about to lose a significant number of sales people from AD to Director.
    Prior to the above changes, SRT had very loyal employees regardless of the fact that they were paid less than industry standard. They were a close-knit team of brain-stormers with the mutual goal of making each other and our customers successful.
    Employees had a voice and felt cared for.
    I hope that they are able to fix it, but it may be too late.

No concern for the people, but room for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time

Pros

Good place to get experience doing a variety of tasks. You'll get a chance to try new things.

Cons

Long hours, low morale, little concern for the employees. Lots of attrition, especially of good employees.

Stop managing from an ivory tower. Get out and visit the employees and customers. Learn from employee input and feedback. Hard to understand the market from a conference room.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

You will wear many hats but that is a good thing from a comprehensive experience standpoint.

Cons

Losing some good people which is troubling.

A company full of issues

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than a year

Pros

If you want, talking bullshits and staying in right line is much useful than real working.

Cons

No tech stack, full of political issues. Not a place for engineer to stay, don't even mention building career there. Lay off happens all the time. Talent engineers got cold and kicked out while policy players stay for ever.

Be nice to your employee, even though both sides know layoff is eventually inevitable.

Sorry to see the company continue to struggle, not sure they can turn it around...

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home options and flexible PTO are attractive. Ability to work with minimal micro-management in most departments is common.

Cons

High turnover, both voluntary and involuntary in the last 6 months, including many of the senior management team who founded the company 10+ years ago. Morale is low due to uncertainty of company's future along with compensation that is not equivalent or greater than industry rates. No pay raises in last 3 years for most of the staff. Stock options were given to many who were employed 4+ years ago, but none since except for executives/senior management. Combination of focus on reduction in expenses and no pay raises will cause more talented staff to leave in the coming months. I left the company voluntarily after 6+ years primarily due to this reason along with the high demands of my position with limited appreciation by senior management.

R&D for product development has increased slightly in last year, but still not enough needed for competitive and/or industry leading solutions.

The company culture has eroded from "Work Happy" immensely. The company appears to be in "survival" mode and will continue to loose talented team members who have options for better opportunities. More should be done to retain critical staff. In addition, more R&D will be needed rapidly to get the products focused on the SMB market.

They don't care about their employees...

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home opportunity - time off policies -.........

Cons

I worked for the company for over 5 years - what has happened? They laid off 1/2 of the workforce and not in an ethical way. They have increased quotas and removed products from the line up in which we could sell from. The management only carries about the bottom line number and not a care in the world about the people below them helping them get to that number. Anyone who had tenure there has left - the writing is on the wall.

Start caring - these employees have put not only their time and energy in SRT but their hearts.

Great people and new direction.

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for less than a year

Pros

New leadership with focus on the future and profitability.

Cons

Transitional periods are often and can make it difficult to adapt.

Improve information flows.

Where did all the passion go?

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, strong benefits

Cons

Removed the talented and passionate leadership and replaced it with those who focus on the $$ instead of the employees. New leadership is untrustworthy about the state of the organization.

Bring back the culture that made SilkRoad the best place on the planet to work. All of the great talent is either gone or is thinking about leaving. You must regain the trust of your employees and bring back the Work Happy culture that the core founders built.

A sinking ship that has missed the market, future looks grim

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The work/life balance is great! Flexible time off, working remotely, ability to take time for personal matters when needed. Results oriented.

Cons

There have been countless mistakes made by the old executive team which we are still paying for today. The new executive team is trying to clean up but doing so poorly. The executives are very disconnected from the employees and from the latest technologies and user experiences. Focuses are on cost cutting, "streamlining", and on new sales - the existing customers are left with countless bugs, unfinished features, and poor implementations. The team sizes have shrunk while more demand is put on them but at the same time burdening them down with additional process and virtual paperwork. Innovation is non-existent, time is mismanaged, very talented people are underutilized, and some arrogant non-team player types are in management/director level positions. Communication has never been great with both the old/new executive teams so most have no idea where we are headed or where their focus should be.

There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching. Stock options are provided but once an employee puts in their 4 years there is no additional incentive to stay and many have left soon after their vesting. For a company that sells a better workplace they sadly have a poor workplace themselves.

Unless something changes for the positive very soon, this company is doomed. The products are too far behind in the market now and will continue to get further and further behind. Consider selling to someone who wants the client list and good talent but not the products themselves.

Worked for SilkRoad Technology? Contribute to the Community!