SilkRoad Technology

Updated December 12, 2014
2.7

SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule/work from home opportunity (in 15 reviews)

• Able to maintain a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • After onboarding, no training and no ongoing training opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Top Notch Professionalism

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want to be treated like a professional and an adult, this is the company to work for. Your schedule is yours to manage as long as you take care of your clients. You have unlimited PTO and flexibility. The administrative staff is very helpful and everyone treats one another with dignity and respect. The company is making a lot of changes that I believe are positive. Communication is improving especially in the area of Product Development. The contracts in Sales used to be horrible, but over the last 6-8 months they have vastly improved. They have a great product for small-medium organization and large not overly complex organizations.

Cons

Like most companies trying to go Public there are a lot of unknowns, but no job is guaranteed today. Communication between departments can be a challenge when you are new, but once you learn who to go to things come together. I wish we had the old logo back, but things change. Employees who have been with the company for awhile may not like the increased reporting and accountability, but again that is normal in most companies. Products need to be enhanced to support larger and more complex clients.

Don't let the culture of the company change. The fact that the company is a little informal and treats one another like family is a BIG reason I came to the company. Continue to treat your employees like professionals and continue to share the direction the company is going in and why.

Great team members, great culture, wait-and-see with new leadership

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a very friendly, open and respectful culture, probably the most employee-friendly culture I've worked in. The company is loaded with talented, passionate professionals who, throughout the organization, are great to work with. A very flexible approach to how, when, and where the work is accomplished for many of the company's jobs. Rewarding work as many individuals have direct impact on the products and/or customers. You can really feel that your efforts do make a difference here.

Cons

Though I'm optimistic about the strategies being implemented, there are many new members in senior management, so there is a feeling of wait-and-see what they do with the company going forward.

Don't let the friendly, close-knit environment get away. Continue to let employees use their creativity to do their jobs. Keep the Village Hall meetings going on a regular basis.

Great company, embarking on a great adventure; FINALLY

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (less than an year)

Pros

New CEO focused on building a strong, integrated company, with a strong foundation. Return to customer focus and keeping promises. Finally getting rid of dead weight (product strategy and people) that has been plaguing the company for years.

Cons

A lot of changes, CEO can be too blunt for some. Too decentralized in location for development teams.

Keep driving us forward, but don't make the same mistakes as old leadership...Open Text history, should not be your roadmap to SilkRoad's future.

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great team and work environment. Great opportunity to grow within the company and develop your career. No micro-management and flexible PTO policy. Fun yearly office events. Limited travel in a sales role.

Cons

There are no downsides to work at SilkRoad. It is a great company to work for and develop your career.

Continue to share the direction of the company.

SilkRoad is the place to be

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong new leadership
    Excellent support structure in place for customer success
    Innovative enhancements to products

Cons

None at this time. I have worked at several software companies and have several contacts in the industry. SilkRoad has a support structure for the customers and employees that is second to none.

Continue on the recent path put in place. It is focused on customer success and this is what matters most.

Exciting, for Self-Starters

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Innovative, no micro-management, exciting technology space to be in.

Cons

Low salary, no matching 401k.

More Town Hall Meetings / more inclusion as to what is happening at the management level.

Very Nice Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, work life balance.

Cons

Can't think of anything right now.

"Very Good Company , Wish this company will achieve great things in future"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SilkRoad Technology as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment, great perks, brilliant people, very friendly and helpful, awesome office locations.

Cons

Somewhat Disorganized, "Not Aggressive Sales Team ", Lack of "Product Knowledge"

Sales team should be more aggressive in order to sell our product and get more clients.

Work Happy is the way of life at SilkRoad

Current Employee - Account Management
    Current Employee - Account Management

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work Life Balance!
    Being treated like a professional and I knowing what is expected of me.
    My ideas and opinion count.
    Having the opportunity to grow in my career and continue to enhance my potential.
    I find meaning in my work and like knowing that I am apart of SilkRoad's growth.

Cons

Worked here 2 years and drawing a blank for a Con. I am sure there is something, what company doesn't have a con. Sorry.

SilkRoad Technology Response

May 30, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience at SilkRoad. We will continue to strive to ensure that all employees have a positive experience and can "work happy"!

Three weeks into my employment with SilkRoad

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

The recruiting and onboarding process are very smooth with a quick turnaround time. The work environment is very flexible and allows me to balance my work and home life better than any other employer that I have worked for. My team is great and even though I work remotely, I always feel connected and very comfortable with asking any questions I have.

Cons

Training process could be a bit more defined.

SilkRoad Technology Photos