SilkRoad Technology Reviews

Updated August 19, 2014

2.7

SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule/work from home opportunity (in 14 reviews)

• Able to maintain a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • After onboarding, no training and no ongoing training opportunities (in 7 reviews)

• There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Uncertain future of the company but has been an awesome company to work for over the past six years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We are not micromanaged here and we truly have a flexible schedule. I love that they do not dictate what we wear. We can dress up or dress down. Our choice. We have the option to work remotely when needed. Pay is acceptable. Benefits are good. I love my work environment. I have been in some bad work environments before, this is nice.

Cons

There has been major upheavals since the new CEO came in. That is typically to be expected, however, it tends to get scarier and scarier every day with uncertainty of what is to become of the company and our jobs. Raises used to be across the board and are nearly non-existent unless the CEO thinks you are essential staff. I have been here several years and have only received two raises which were across the board. Lately, it seems that everyone wants to pass the buck and no one wants to make a decision.

I think that you should throw the little guy a bone and give some raises to those that have stuck it out over the years without any significant pay increase. With all the uncertainty, people are leaving and receiving job offers that pay more than our salaries here. If people got a raise, they may be more willing to stick it out. However, better to be done with the company than to wait for the company to be done with you, right? That seems to be the direction the company is going in; right down the tubes.

Please turn off the lights

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Was a fantastic team of committed dedicated people working to make SilkRoad the standard in the industry.

Cons

Everyone who could leave has. Management is out of touch and has pushed those who have made a difference out the door. High level of knowledge equates with high pay so push them out the door. What a shame that other firms are trolling at SRT for skilled people.

What will happen to those who have stayed and are trying to deliver? How long? Have you not noticed what your "leadership" has caused? Shame on all you.

No concern for the people, but room for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time

Pros

Good place to get experience doing a variety of tasks. You'll get a chance to try new things.

Cons

Long hours, low morale, little concern for the employees. Lots of attrition, especially of good employees.

Stop managing from an ivory tower. Get out and visit the employees and customers. Learn from employee input and feedback. Hard to understand the market from a conference room.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

You will wear many hats but that is a good thing from a comprehensive experience standpoint.

Cons

Losing some good people which is troubling.

Sorry to see the company continue to struggle, not sure they can turn it around...

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work from home options and flexible PTO are attractive. Ability to work with minimal micro-management in most departments is common.

Cons

High turnover, both voluntary and involuntary in the last 6 months, including many of the senior management team who founded the company 10+ years ago. Morale is low due to uncertainty of company's future along with compensation that is not equivalent or greater than industry rates. No pay raises in last 3 years for most of the staff. Stock options were given to many who were employed 4+ years ago, but none since except for executives/senior management. Combination of focus on reduction in expenses and no pay raises will cause more talented staff to leave in the coming months. I left the company voluntarily after 6+ years primarily due to this reason along with the high demands of my position with limited appreciation by senior management.

R&D for product development has increased slightly in last year, but still not enough needed for competitive and/or industry leading solutions.

The company culture has eroded from "Work Happy" immensely. The company appears to be in "survival" mode and will continue to loose talented team members who have options for better opportunities. More should be done to retain critical staff. In addition, more R&D will be needed rapidly to get the products focused on the SMB market.

Where did all the passion go?

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home, strong benefits

Cons

Removed the talented and passionate leadership and replaced it with those who focus on the $$ instead of the employees. New leadership is untrustworthy about the state of the organization.

Bring back the culture that made SilkRoad the best place on the planet to work. All of the great talent is either gone or is thinking about leaving. You must regain the trust of your employees and bring back the Work Happy culture that the core founders built.

They don't care about their employees...

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work from home opportunity - time off policies -.........

Cons

I worked for the company for over 5 years - what has happened? They laid off 1/2 of the workforce and not in an ethical way. They have increased quotas and removed products from the line up in which we could sell from. The management only carries about the bottom line number and not a care in the world about the people below them helping them get to that number. Anyone who had tenure there has left - the writing is on the wall.

Start caring - these employees have put not only their time and energy in SRT but their hearts.

The difference in the past and present is huge

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unlimited PTO, Remote workforce, free coffee... The only true benefits at this point.

Cons

Leaders who haven't a clue as to what the customers want or need. Divided culture now, the team feeling that we once had is long gone. Used to be a fun place to work. Very few of the manager level and above truly care about the employees anymore. It takes an Act of God to try to do your job with all the effort that is needed now to get started. Products lacking. The last good executive just left (HR) we will now become Opentext. Their reviews aren't good either and now their old leader is our CEO. Just as everyone else mentioned, going on 3 years with no raise.

You have lost most of your good talent, the rest are looking and good people do not want to come work for a company that treats employees poorly. It's time to shape up or ship out. Your people have made this company what it is, stop the bleeding. Invest in your people, because you are already seeing what happens when you don't.

If you love feeling like you made a contribution at the end of the day, LOOK ELSEWHERE!

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

(mostly) Flexible working environment
    Unlimited PTO (if you can figure out a way to get your work magically done in your absence)

Cons

I have never worked for a company where it's so difficult to do your job. Someone stands in your way at every turn, whether it's the "we tried that once so..." or "that's just the way we do things" the excuses to stifle creative thinking and discourage efficiency are unlimited. So many visible money drains at an organization in "belt tightening mode."

I hear a new management team exists but I've yet to see them do anything meaningful (let alone see their faces to know they really exist).

I guess my shares will be worthless soon

I worked at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

Good people are still left trying to make it work.

Cons

Management lacks the ability to run a company.

Focus on running a good business instead of worrying about saving the big shareholder's investments.

Worked for SilkRoad Technology? Contribute to the Community!