SilkRoad Technology

Updated December 12, 2014
2.7

SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Pros
  • Flexible work schedule/work from home opportunity (in 15 reviews)

• Able to maintain a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • After onboarding, no training and no ongoing training opportunities (in 6 reviews)

• There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for.

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

Great PTO policy and insurance. Great team members. Love the laid back culture.

Cons

Uncertain of the company's future.

Good work-life balance, employee retention program needs work.

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

Flexible PTO, interesting work, good manager. Starting to see a direction for the product suite. Some of the long term plans are encouraging.

Cons

Raises are rare, regardless of performance or promotions.

If raises are not an option due to budgetary concerns, find alternative ways to take care of long term employees who believe in this company. Stock options?

Good Company to work for

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

Corporate culture is laid back. Good PTO policy

Cons

I have no specific cons.

Good Benefits, Flexible, Crappy Raises, Broken Promises

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Unlimited PTO
    -Work From Home
    -Flexible Hours
    -Direct Manager Was Great
    -No Mircomanaging

Cons

-Finanical UnStable
    -Layoffs
    -Promotion promises never forfilled
    -Constant worry about future of company
    -No raises for over 2 years
    -New Upper Level Mgmt did not care about people in WS office

-Promote from within
    -If you have to lie about something, its probably not a good choice
    -Give Raises
    -Care about your employees

Going down the tubes... run and hide

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Super flexible schedule and hands off, no PTO tracking, easy to hit objectives that are acceptable enough to keep your job, however they are not the objectives for being "at plan". Get all the gadgets you need to do your job. Overall there is good industry analyst backing for some of the products.

Cons

Very hard to understand whether you are representing the products properly. In the past they have sold their dreams for the future rather than today's functionality. Future is unclear. Many people at the company feel the CEO has other agendas rather than the sheer success of the company and getting SilkRoad to an IPO. 3rd party industry analysts have alluded to this as well. The onboarding is second to none, the LMS has a great track record, but needs a UI update. The cold fusion platform for their ATS is limiting. The Performance module is lacking when needs become more complex. The HRMS is not currently available, a new system will debut soon. There is no single database and integration between the modules is difficult to manage and to set up. Even then it doesn't provide cross-suite reporting or fulfill today's standards for an "integrated suite". Support and Services team needs to take a lesson in how to truly provide a world-class experience. Head of those departments has no interpersonal skills whatsoever. Oh yeah and the Chief Revenue officer, who just came to the company in early 2014, has already decided to leave. Rumors still run around the exit of the company founders back in 2013 and early 2014. Lots of layoffs and turnover in the last 12 months. Lots of good talent have left.

Never pass up on the opportunity to engage with your employees. 2 years without personal interaction with the c-level for a company of this size, with the aspirations of pulling up out of the downward spiral, is unacceptable. Show your team you truly are transparent, not by sending an email to the company saying so, or barking at everyone on a conference call, but by looking everyone in the eye and inspiring them to buy in to your dreams for the future. If you were genuine, that would carry a lot of weight in keeping your top talent. Be honest about the products shortcomings in the past and don't make the same mistake again. Get rid of the CMO, his tactics are shifty and he doesn't know how to strategize with the sales team. Most of his team thinks he is off his rocker anyway.

A company full of issues

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you want, talking bullshits and staying in right line is much useful than real working.

Cons

No tech stack, full of political issues. Not a place for engineer to stay, don't even mention building career there. Lay off happens all the time. Talent engineers got cold and kicked out while policy players stay for ever.

Be nice to your employee, even though both sides know layoff is eventually inevitable.

A once great contender is struggling to keep it's sales team

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HR policies are great. Flexible for remote employees. Work/life balance

Cons

Management indifferent to sales reps.
    Implemented 8X8 dial counter
    Veteran reps now "account development" - no commish

Although new management is attempting to keep it above water, SRT is a shell of what it once was as far as employee engagement.
    They are about to lose a significant number of sales people from AD to Director.
    Prior to the above changes, SRT had very loyal employees regardless of the fact that they were paid less than industry standard. They were a close-knit team of brain-stormers with the mutual goal of making each other and our customers successful.
    Employees had a voice and felt cared for.
    I hope that they are able to fix it, but it may be too late.

Uncertain future of the company but has been an awesome company to work for over the past six years.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

We are not micromanaged here and we truly have a flexible schedule. I love that they do not dictate what we wear. We can dress up or dress down. Our choice. We have the option to work remotely when needed. Pay is acceptable. Benefits are good. I love my work environment. I have been in some bad work environments before, this is nice.

Cons

There has been major upheavals since the new CEO came in. That is typically to be expected, however, it tends to get scarier and scarier every day with uncertainty of what is to become of the company and our jobs. Raises used to be across the board and are nearly non-existent unless the CEO thinks you are essential staff. I have been here several years and have only received two raises which were across the board. Lately, it seems that everyone wants to pass the buck and no one wants to make a decision.

I think that you should throw the little guy a bone and give some raises to those that have stuck it out over the years without any significant pay increase. With all the uncertainty, people are leaving and receiving job offers that pay more than our salaries here. If people got a raise, they may be more willing to stick it out. However, better to be done with the company than to wait for the company to be done with you, right? That seems to be the direction the company is going in; right down the tubes.

Please turn off the lights

Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Current Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Was a fantastic team of committed dedicated people working to make SilkRoad the standard in the industry.

Cons

Everyone who could leave has. Management is out of touch and has pushed those who have made a difference out the door. High level of knowledge equates with high pay so push them out the door. What a shame that other firms are trolling at SRT for skilled people.

What will happen to those who have stayed and are trying to deliver? How long? Have you not noticed what your "leadership" has caused? Shame on all you.

No concern for the people, but room for growth

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time

Pros

Good place to get experience doing a variety of tasks. You'll get a chance to try new things.

Cons

Long hours, low morale, little concern for the employees. Lots of attrition, especially of good employees.

Stop managing from an ivory tower. Get out and visit the employees and customers. Learn from employee input and feedback. Hard to understand the market from a conference room.

SilkRoad Technology Photos