SilkRoad Technology Reviews

Reset
3.5
SilkRoad Technology President & CEO John Shackleton
John Shackleton

Pros
  • Work from home opportunity - time off policies - (in 15 reviews)

• Able to maintain a good work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • No training, this creates a lot of unnecessary time waste (in 6 reviews)

• There is no training provided, very little onboarding, no career development, no raises, no bonuses, no 401k matching (in 5 reviews)

Uncertain future of the company but has been an awesome company to work for over the past six years.

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are not micromanaged here and we truly have a flexible schedule. I love that they do not dictate what we wear. We can dress up or dress down. Our choice. We have the option to work remotely when needed. Pay is acceptable. Benefits are good. I love my work environment. I have been in some bad work environments before, this is nice.

Cons

There has been major upheavals since the new CEO came in. That is typically to be expected, however, it tends to get scarier and scarier every day with uncertainty of what is to become of the company and our jobs. Raises used to be across the board and are nearly non-existent unless the CEO thinks you are essential staff. I have been here several years and have only received two raises which were across the board. Lately, it seems that everyone wants to pass the buck and no one wants to make a decision.

Advice to Management

I think that you should throw the little guy a bone and give some raises to those that have stuck it out over the years without any significant pay increase. With all the uncertainty, people are leaving and receiving job offers that pay more than our salaries here. If people got a raise, they may be more willing to stick it out. However, better to be done with the company than to wait for the company to be done with you, right? That seems to be the direction the company is going in; right down the tubes.

2. Cutting Edge technology with at home atmosphere.

Former Employee - Global Business Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Global Business Analyst in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unique cutting edge technology with innovations. Very friendly at home working environment. Strong team work. Global business network.

Cons

Slow on product development. Luck of resource for international needs.

Advice to Management

Stick to original "work happy" motto.

3. Not Perfect, but overall a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible PTO, Relaxed Dress Code, Remote Workforce, Fun Environment

Overall the management team has their head on straight and has the best interest of the employees and the company in mind when making changes.

Cons

Challenges of a smaller company that is experiencing growth (financial constraints), training to learn new products to implement needs expansion, no 401k match

Advice to Management

Keep the current "perks" (PTO, Work from home, etc) and work on some additional "perks" to encourage positive growth in culture. Over-communicate where the company stands and give detail.

Incredible coworkers hampered by an out of touch leadership team

Current Employee - Implementation Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SilkRoad has extremely high quality employees who are both bright and committed to the work. As peers they are very helpful and more than happy to assist you.

Working remotely is pretty well tolerated.

Lower level management is open, honest, and helpful.

Very little micromanagement, if you are able to complete your work you will be left alone to do so.

Cons

Upper management seems out of touch with their employee base; they are also very much behind on their own products. The leadership at SilkRoad is very good at saying the right things; however not only are the ineffectual, they actually tend to throw progress in reverse every time they attempt to "fix" the company. Despite raising many millions of dollars in IPO funding, multiple layoff rounds in the past few years indicate this failure to fully understand what they are doing.

Having a fairly flat management structure leaves little to no room for advancement.

Poor pay with very little hope of improvement.

Advice to Management

SilkRoad has a wide array of talented employees who choose to work there more for the atmosphere and peer relationships than the pay. If the positive atmosphere goes, so does the company; SilkRoad is only held together by the hard work it's employees at this point. The products and services are not good enough to stand on their own in the marketplace. I would urge management to consider this when making sweeping decisions on the future of the company.

6. SilkRoad

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very easy to work from home if you need to.

Cons

Not comfortable saying negative things.

7. Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Regional Account Manager in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team and work environment. Great opportunity to grow within the company and develop your career. No micro-management and flexible PTO policy. Fun yearly office events. Limited travel in a sales role.

Cons

There are no downsides to work at SilkRoad. It is a great company to work for and develop your career.

Advice to Management

Continue to share the direction of the company.

8. Working at SilkRoad is Marvellous

Current Employee - Junior Automation Test Engineer in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Junior Automation Test Engineer in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The management is very understanding and great to work with. The pay is excellent and if you want time off for any reason, the management is very understanding and has no problem with letting you take care of your personal business. Job stability and opportunity to work on multiple projects are there. Nice and friendly working environment. Small team gives opportunity for more responsibility and greater exposure.

Cons

Nothing that i can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on strategy and direction, so the SRT can go to execute and deliver the best results for our customers and shareholders in the coming years.

Overall a good place to work. Professionally challenging and interesting work.

Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC
    Former Employee - Implementation Consultant in Winston-Salem, NC

I worked at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

My manager was very good to work for. My work provided me with a continual change in projects which I found very appealing.

Cons

Privately owned and dependent on venture capital for operating funds. Very vulnerable to ecomonic ups and downs. Shortly after the start of the current economic downturn, approximately half of the employees were let go over a period of several months. Since then, more stable and adding positions.

10. Great Employer

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

Good People, Fun place to work, Laid back atmosphere, respectful treatment of employees, good work-life balance, ever-changing enviroment, support from other staff.

Cons

Sales and marketing do not always sell what Implementation can deliver. While management is supportive, long delays to get things done sometimes become frustrating.

Advice to Management

Get the entire team on the same page, ensuring that all levels of management and non-management are all on the same page.

Fun Place to work and a Wonderful Brand to Promote

I have been working at SilkRoad Technology

Pros

Flexible work hours, Love the ability to work from anywhere, Really fun brand to promote and market, Easy going and mostly stress free

Cons

Very few complaints worth noting other than no 401K matching. Have worked places with better benefits and better salary

Advice to Management

I do notice silos between teams so it would be nice if upper management would make a greater effort to bring everyone together to feel like the family that we are.

RSS Feed </> Embed