Silliker

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jim Miller

Dedication pays off

Ops Supervisor (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Silliker full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits, outstanding paid time off, 401k matching are part of the rewards for your long service to the company. Job security is great after you are cross-trained between departments.

ConsLong, late hours. Work holidays. Sometimes it's hard to see the forest for the trees during the day. Mistake prone people need not apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember to thank your hard working technicians. They give up a lot for this company.

Not what I had hoped it to be.

Microbiology Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)
Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Silliker full-time for more than a year

ProsDecent benefits package, PTO is good and young group of people working there.

ConsThere is no definite stop time at work. You work until all samples are processed that day. You have no life with this job. Requires standing on your feet all day. Not enough staff to cover for any days off.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide 8hr shifts to employees. Hire more people so those who want PTO can actually use it.

Unreasonable Hours

Microbiologist (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Silliker full-time for more than a year

ProsHire and train you with no experience

ConsForced overtime, unreasonable hours, favoritism, unproffesionalism. Repetitive and tedious motions. Management doesn't lead by example.

Advice to Senior ManagementScheduling needs to be addressed. Stop playing favorites to employees that are willing to stay all hours of the night. These same employees are the ones that are inefficient and milk the clock during regular operations.

Just terrible...

Microbiologist (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Silliker full-time

ProsGreat starting off to learn techniques and getting your feet wet into the laboratory field. Some very knowledgeable people around for microbes and background information.

ConsLong hours that often are 8+. Work with a lot of slack that should have been fired for not performing to expectations. Promotions come to those that have complained or played the favorite card even though those that have been promoted are the least trained then microbiologist technicians. Those that are hard workers gain a promotion much later, that's if it ever happens. Training comes slow and vacations can never be taken. You will burn out very quickly. Management thinks in short term, so when an issue comes they hire more when it's already happened. HR isn't worth anything since many things go beyond their heads and let things occur that shouldn't happen especially promotions that involve relations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more help. People don't want to work long hours and want a life. Stop playing favorites. This will get seniors and management that don't do anything or don't even deserve it. Let people take vacations because there are employees that need it.

Bad hours, bad environment

Microbiology Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Silliker

Prosdecent pay for part time working as a student, and paid holidays. works with school schedule somewhat

ConsOnly get a start time, and expected to stay til whenever (10+ hours days frequent).
Pay advancement is slow and pay is low for those with a bachelors degree.
Management is hard to talk to and very hard to get a hold of. Trying to get days off (especially Saturdays) is like pulling teeth.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people so people can have days off without making everyone else work 12 or more hour days. Be available and nice to employees.

Horrible

Lab Tech (Current Employee)

I have been working at Silliker

ProsSome people you work with are awesome

ConsIf youre interested in working in a high school environment where co-workers are back stabbing, miserable, and the management is a JOKE. And where you are expected to work 10+ hour days and the work is monotonous as ever ... Then this is for you. Please ... Do yourself a favor and don't cut yourself short by getting a job here.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust give up on life....

Learned a lot, but no work life balance

Microbiologist (Former Employee)
Madison, WI

I worked at Silliker

ProsLearned a lot about food testing

Cons10 - 12 hr days 5 days a week
No recognition for good working employees
Lots of burnout
Pay is low

Advice to Senior ManagementThe problem with the leadership was that there was none. Accountability was a major issue and people were not rewarded for good work habits. Some employees were late 30 mins to an hr each day and not held accountable.

Not the best place to start out.

Sample Preparation Lab Tech (Former Employee)

I worked at Silliker

Proslong hours=great OT. Good benefits, Holiday pay. Good place to get training in a variety of techniques rather quickly. Later Hours (usually 11-whenever the samples stop coming). Some people are very fun to work with.

ConsNot too many techniques or assays that will help with a resume. Spend too much time at the bottom or the ladder. Sample preparation really doesn't require people with an education. Low pay, typically start at $11.50. The environment is too much like high-school, as in people can say and act however they want and promotions are often based on popularity. Upper-level management types are condescending and degrading at times. Don't work here unless you can swallow just about anything or you have really tough skin. Samples can vary in quantity and there are going to be days where 10 hour shifts are a must.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to understand that people with degrees in science want to train in something scientific. Management should be less concerned with their own advancement and more concerned with the advancement of their employees.

Great for chemists, terrible for microbiology

Chemist (Current Employee)
Chicago Heights, IL

I have been working at Silliker

ProsMany promoted from within. Regular shifts for chemists. Ability to learn new tests and gain experience. Friendly co workers. Can wear casual. If you work hard amd take initative you are recognized. Most flexible company I have ever seen on absences and tardies. Allowed to follow your own schedule to finish tasks. Down to earth management, not intimidating.

ConsCorperate takes months to do anything. Everything takes five times longer than it should. Extreme expectations for 99.9% accuracy, zero errors. Human error doesnt exist. Old equipment, always breaking. Lack of accountability for short cuts to make due dates.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure people do their job right, most take short cuts and cause errors from lack of supervision. Acknowledge error free is impossible and an unrealistic goal. Get rid of the slack and hire people who will work rather than for a degree, most people w degrees dont work fast enough. Find a better way to appriciate employees like the bonus last yr.

Demanding and Rewarding job experience

Lab Technician (Current Employee)
Stone Mountain, GA

ProsGreat Pay
Very friendly, professional environment
On site management were very cooperative and truly listened to their needs
Management was very understanding of getting time off and rarely didn't let a person take off time
People were often promoted from within the company

ConsCorporate office was extremely slow at doing anything.
Overtime was required without any notice
No holidays off
No vacation or benefits for the first year

Advice to Senior ManagementLocal management was awesome. Corporate needs to respond faster to the needs of their separate offices

Worked for Silliker? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Silliker reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Silliker CEO Jim Miller. All 46 reviews posted anonymously by Silliker employees.